Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

What kind of sunglasses do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
They should be able to get you scrip safety glasses Corey
If they don't they are discriminating against you and also making it unsafe for you to work there.
Most of the places I am in I do not require them Paul.
But when I do venture to the 737 factory, I grab a pair from a box that I can wear over my normal glasses.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Most of the places I am in I do not require them Paul.
But when I do venture to the 737 factory, I grab a pair from a box that I can wear over my normal glasses.
Does'nt matter discrimination is discrimination and those over wear ones can scratch or damage your expensive personal glasses.
Why should people with good vision get a benefit you can't
and contact lenses are a big no no in an industrial environment because of the pos. of contamination and they can also make your eye more sensitive to various gases and vapours which may be present in some cases with no warning or detectable odours.

I fight'in fer you here mano
Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

I love my Oakleys...I have a collection of XX (twenties) most of which I bought on ebay. I recently went skiing to CO and forgot my Oakleys...bought a cheap pair to get me by and got a headache from the lens distortion.

Personally I wish they would bring back the XX customs. The style of a lot of them now is just not for me. Many of them are very conservative...I tend to like the wilder color lenses and frames.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I ran into a snag with these.
In order to get them fitted with prescription lenses, you need to go through an authorized Oakley affiliated eye doctor.

I took mine to my eye doctor and they sent them out to their grinder, but they can not make them for the frames.
So my eye doctor called up Oakley and found an authorized doctor, and I dropped them off last weekend along with my prescription.

They sent them off to Oakley, and they should be here by next weekend for me to pick up.
I went with the Polarized gray lenses, as these are recommended as best for mountain biking.

I read up more on the polarized lenses Oakley uses, and they shed both rain and sweat.
Also the ear and nose pieces end up gripping better when you sweat.
This means you will not be pushing up the glasses as they will not be sliding down your face.

Also these glasses are rated as safety glasses.
Polarized FLAK JACKET Sunglasses

Sport professionals demand nothing less than the best, and we’ve answered their challenge for decades. World-class athletes have driven us to create innovation after innovation, including interchangeable lens designs with unbeatable optical clarity. FLAK JACKET sunglasses take that to the next level with the latest in performance technology.

The lenses in this polarized edition of FLAK JACKET are engineered to block the blinding rays of glare that are magnified by flat surfaces such as snow, water and pavement. Oakley uses a liquid infusion process to eliminate the haze and distortion found with ordinary polarized lenses. Optimized with Oakley polarization, FLAK JACKET offers the best optical performance on the planet.

MAINTAINS SHARP, CLEAR VISION
FLAK JACKET features Oakley HYDROPHOBIC™, a permanent lens coating that prevents rain and sweat from building up on the lens. It also repels skin oils and other contaminates, so the lens is smudge resistant and easy to keep clean. It even eliminates static electricity, so dirt and dust particles won’t cling.

STAYS AHEAD OF THE SUN
FLAK JACKET lets you change lenses in seconds to optimize vision in any sport environment. Multiple lens colors are available, and all lenses feature the unbeatable clarity of Oakley’s HIGH DEFINITION OPTICS® (HDO®).

OFFERS A SECURE, CUSTOM FIT
Choose the nose pads that give you the best fit — two sizes are included with every frame. Like the stem sleeves, they’re made of UNOBTAINIUM® to increase grip with perspiration. Oakley’s Three-Point Fit optimizes comfort and holds the lenses in precise optical alignment for superior clarity.

OPTIMIZES COMFORT, PROTECTION AND CLARITY
FLAK JACKET is made of lightweight O MATTER® for all-day comfort. Pure PLUTONITE® lens material filters out 100% of all UV, and FLAK JACKET meets ANSI Z87.1 standards for impact protection. The semi-rimless design means there’s no frame rim to block downward view. Optical clarity exceeds all ANSI Z87.1 standards, and XYZ OPTICS® extends razor-sharp vision all the way to the lens periphery.

* Interchangeable lenses to optimize performance in any environment
* Durability and all-day comfort of lightweight, stress-resistant O MATTER® frame material
* Optimized peripheral vision and side protection of 8.75 base lens curvature
* Comes standard with Oakley HYDROPHOBIC™/Oleophobic anti-smudge lens coating on all lens options
* Comfort and performance of Three-Point Fit that holds lenses in precise optical alignment
* Metal icon accents
* Optical precision and performance that meets all ANSI Z87.1 standards
* Impact resistance that meets all ANSI Z87.1 standards for high-mass and high-velocity impact
* UV protection of PLUTONITE® lens that filters out 100% of UVA / UVB / UVC & harmful blue light up to 400 nm
* Minimized glare via technology that produces the best polarized lenses on the planet
* Glare reduction and tuned light transmission of IRIDIUM® lens coating
* Multiple interchangeable UNOBTAINIUM® nose pad options for customizable and comfortable secure fit
* Protective sports-specific Oakley Soft Vault included with capacity for extra lenses
* Available with Oakley Prescription Lenses (+2.00 through -3.00 combined power)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:55 AM

i have two pairs of oakleys and wouldnt trade them for the world... i have a custom pair of matte black and polarized black lens gascans that i use while driving and out and about. I also have a pair of oakley minutes black on black sunglasses that i use for snowboarding, mountain biking, etc.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

I really like my Maui Jim's
Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
polarzed hovens
Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 AM

I have a pair of Oakley Monster Dogs. They're polarized, offer good coverage, and best of all, fit my size 8 head. Most other glasses pinch my temples...

Also, I take good care of my glasses, so $155 for a pair that I've had for almost 8 years isn't hard to justify. I've worn them as safety glasses too(probably not recommended) and they are almost impossible to scratch.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i actually use tinted saftey glasses for sunglasses.. i buy them at lowes for 5 bucks a hit and ususally buy 2 or 3 at a time.. i am really bad about loosing sunglasses so when they are cheap i dont mind. these are the kind i usually buy (but more money on this site) http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED

Old 02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Called the eye doctor that I dropped them off at a few Saturdays back.
The Oakleys will arrive this week with my new prescription lens in them, and I will more than likely wait until Saturday to pick them up.

My insurance did pick up $50 on these (went as the second pair since I just got new glasses a month back at my other eye doctor) but these are still costing me a lot.

$160 for the Oakleys with custom ear pieces, stock lens, and case
$218 to have the new lenses made in polarized gray
_________
$378

And to think the lenses are good at the most for about two years or so, that is if my prescription changes on them or not.
I might get a lot more than that out of them.
And the lenses should stay nice since these will not be seeing everyday usage.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 AM

I like Costa's(Coasta Del Mar), but can't justify spending $200+. So, I have a $15 pair of Bikini Bays(Costa look-a-likes) from walmart.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Called the eye doctor that I dropped them off at a few Saturdays back.
The Oakleys will arrive this week with my new prescription lens in them, and I will more than likely wait until Saturday to pick them up.

My insurance did pick up $50 on these (went as the second pair since I just got new glasses a month back at my other eye doctor) but these are still costing me a lot.

$160 for the Oakleys with custom ear pieces, stock lens, and case
$218 to have the new lenses made in polarized gray
_________
$378

And to think the lenses are good at the most for about two years or so, that is if my prescription changes on them or not.
I might get a lot more than that out of them.
And the lenses should stay nice since these will not be seeing everyday usage.
$378? that's cheap bro... try $800+ for lenses alone + $200 for frames not including taxes...
I have got to get my eyes lasered...
Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by aviator
$378? that's cheap bro... try $800+ for lenses alone + $200 for frames not including taxes...
I have got to get my eyes lasered...
No laser for me, I have heard to many horror stories.
I have thought about it, but I have heard of the seeing of the halo effect and other strange stuff.

We only have one set of eyes, and a botched laser job could lower that number.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

I've heard of those problems too... I think it depends on which procedure you have done... I think lasik has the most issues... Joey had PRK[?] done and he's still flying for the AF...
Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Arrrrgh

My glasses were suppose to make it from Oakley to the eye doctor this week, and I was going to pick them up today.

I called them this morning, and he told me they were not in, and that he would call up Oakley.

He got in touch with me a few hours later and Oakley's lab broke one of my lenses
Not sure how they did that, but now they have to redo it, and then ship it out next week.
I told the doctor just have Oakley mail them to me.
If they will not do that, the doctor is going to deliver them to me at home

Hopefully next week.
I was really wanting them today, as we have a touch of early spring weather here in the PNW until Tuesday.
Good for us, not so good for the Olympics up North though.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:59 PM

costa del mar FTW!
by far the best sunglasses ive ever had.. great polarization, interchangeable glass and plastic lenses. Various colors of lenses for the conditions you are working in.
http://www.costadelmar.com/
Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by VSU_4runnin
costa del mar FTW!
by far the best sunglasses ive ever had.. great polarization, interchangeable glass and plastic lenses. Various colors of lenses for the conditions you are working in.
http://www.costadelmar.com/
yes they are very good
Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray-Ban Aviators all the way. They were a gift from my aunt.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Oh man no way.
You literally posted exactly what i was going to post.
I have some non ray-bans, though.
Black rim, silver because i've worn them so much lol.

I also have these glasses. I dont wear them because they weigh like a pound and a half, and that's not my ebay ad.

They're pretty cool though.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peow130
Oh man no way.
You literally posted exactly what i was going to post.
I have some non ray-bans, though.
Black rim, silver because i've worn them so much lol.

I also have these glasses. I dont wear them because they weigh like a pound and a half, and that's not my ebay ad.

They're pretty cool though.
Haha I had a cheap $15 pair from one of those kiosks in Vegas. That was until it met "Precalculus with Trigonometry" The RayBans OTOH have been really durable. They spent a good 15 miles under the hood of a Chrysler Town & Country I was working on. lol.

Quick Reply: What kind of sunglasses do you like?