Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Vibram Five Fingers Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 PM
ET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Vibram Five Fingers Shoes

I got my first pair of VFF KSO's in late November 2009. these shoes have to be the best pair of shoes I've every had. They really feel like you are barefoot but without all of the pain of rocks and sticks and such. the grip you get on the ground from them is unreal and running in them is a whole other story. all in all these are worth the money. they do have some durability issues on the regular KSO's. mine spent 2 months away until they could get a new pair into the store as they are on HUGE backorder right now. the trek versions might not have as much of an issue with the durability as they are made of tear resistant kangaroo leather and the flows are made of thicker neoprene. best advice if you are looking at some is to find a nearby carrier and try them on first as they are harder than normal shoes to fit.

there are more styles and colors on the website also. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com

Last edited by ET; 04-03-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're ugly as sin but I've heard they're very comfortable and excellent for building strength in smaller stabilizing muscles in your feet and ankles that are otherwise supported and weakened by normal shoes. I've been thinking about getting a pair for the gym but also perhaps for hiking or kayaking.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they look awesome! A guy in my Hist class had some on last week and i was VERY interested, but knew nothing about them. Def a purchase i want to make sometime soon...

How bad are the KSOs in terms of wearing out? I would like to get them because they look a little more comfortable than the Flow.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
ET

i had issues with the seams holding the mesh and neoprene on the upper splitting. i also had a little bit of the sole start to come off on one of the toes but it wasn't anything shoe goo couldn't fix. as far as the sole wearing through, the rubber is just as thick if not thicker than normal tennis shoes. tennis shoes look like they are thicker but the majority of that is just cusioning. i returned mine to get another pair after a month but i was pretty hard on them. well worth the money though.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
ET

they're coming out with a new version called the bikila. i've heard it has a completely seamless upper. might be more durable however it isn't made to be water proof.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was suprised that there isn't many more of the yotatechers wearing these. I've had mine for months now and can't say enough good things about them. I initially purchased them for canoeing, fishing, water hiking what ever but found running in them kicks my butt and the pay off is great with the strengthening of the accessory muscles. If any one has there doubts they should try them out but make sure you don't have goofy feet first as they are kinda uniform to how they're built. Well worth the money imo.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM

I ordered 'Speed's online from the UK, it's a Euro only model and I use it for weight-training and running. Absolutely love it.

They do look a bit goofy though, I can't imagine I'd wear them much as a regular shoe.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i've been thinking of getting a pair of these. only thing that's stopped me so far is my 2nd toe on left foot is pretty jacked - haven't been able to wear flip flops for about 10yrs because of that thong thing that goes between the toes. had surgery last year to restructure the bone and now i'm finally able to take some pressure on that toe - i think these VFF shoes will definitely help strengthen up everything because i need it. been sporting the Tom's and so far they've helped strengthen my feet, but they're still pretty stiff soled and don't give enough barefoot feel.

i was looking around yesterday at different shoes online trying to see if anyone else wears their OeTZi3300 shoes as much as I do and came up with a new shoe that i think i'm going to get instead of the VFFs. they're made by STEM footwear and come out this fall - very very flexible shoe almost like wearing nothing at all, but don't have the individual toes - so they'd be better when you go out in public maybe i'll have to get the VFFs first so i can compare them.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
not sure if it's the same but the Merril's that have the vibram sole tech built in is pretty darn comfortable. I buy a new pair of merril's each year for hiking, backpacking, mushroom hunting ect, and they can take a beating. I love the vibram sole's so I may have to track down a pair of these!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:57 PM

I love mine. I really cannot say enough good about them. Shin splints are a thing of the past for me. You will not regret buying a pair.

The only word of warning that I can give about them is start from square one. Even if you can run 7kms, start with 2kms, or less. You calves will be super tight for the first while when you are running on them. After they get stronger you will be able to run just as far on any terrain you were running on before.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I woulda ran out and bought a pair last year or whenever they came out but $100 is kinda steep for a 'foot glove'.... will have to break down and buy a pair, the newer ones are much more durable from what I hear recently...

Any other offbrands that anyone knows about or tried?
Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ravenlord
I love mine. I really cannot say enough good about them. Shin splints are a thing of the past for me. You will not regret buying a pair.

The only word of warning that I can give about them is start from square one. Even if you can run 7kms, start with 2kms, or less. You calves will be super tight for the first while when you are running on them. After they get stronger you will be able to run just as far on any terrain you were running on before.
^^This. There is a lot of misinformation about people being injured by minimalist shoes. In almost all cases it was a direct result of over doing it in the early stages. I -only- run in barefoot shoes these days, and I can easily toss out 5-10 miles without any crippling side affects....which is to say, my first run was maybe 15 minutes, and I couldn't walk down stairs for 2 days afterwards!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
^i'll definitely take that into consideration. so for you guys who run in these, which model of shoe do you have? i looked and there are 2 or 3 that look good for an all-purpose every-day shoe, which i like, but eventually i plan on picking up running again and if i can use the same shoe for that then great - i used to run x-country and track but haven't been able to run for the past 10yrs due to my toe injury. now that i'm "fixed" i'd really like to strengthen up my feet to stronger than before. if these were around 15yrs ago i probably wouldn't have suffered all those shin splints and weird hip/knee discomfort that i get. i was looking at the KSO and the KSO Trek models.

off topic, but i checked out the STEM footwear site and they have some good info on why we should walk barefoot and how bad shoes are for your body, etc.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:50 PM

I run in Bikilas primarily...also have a pair of KSO treksports.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Where do you get the socks to wear with these? Or am I missing something here?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Speaking of minimalist shoes, I just started crossfit training and was looking at the New Balance Minimus Trail in addition to these. Anybody have an opinion on the Minimus?
Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Where do you get the socks to wear with these? Or am I missing something here?
no socks. Think more or less a glove for your feet. They're machine washable so if they start to stink you can clean them.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:13 PM

I just have a pair of the standard KSOs. I don't find anything on the trail bothers my feet when running. I can run over roots, rocks and gravel. Only thing that I haven't run in yet it sand. But I cannot see them being any worse then my normal shoes.

You can get socks to wear with them. But I wouldn't bother. Once you step in a puddle your feet will be wet for a while. Adding in a sock will only make it worse.