Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Post pics of your mods for camping

Old 07-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post pics of your mods for camping

Hi all,

I've seen pics of truck mods where the bed has been built up with plywood for storage below and sleeping above (and a canopy on top). If you've got pics of your mod for camping/expedition, please post. I'm seriously considering doing one myself and would appreciate any suggestions.

Troy
Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Well I got a first generation and it looks like you do too... I dont have any pics but what I do is comfortable as hell... just drop the back seats down... fill up a nice air matress that fits back there... put some sheets... blankets all those goodies... and another thing that is nice for the side windows buy some things that you can pull over the windows so the sun doesnt shine in... I love it...

But from reading what you wrote it seems like you want to still have storage underneath... so this probably didn't help at all ha..

Get this beast

Ian
Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember who's website it is, but it belongs to a member on this board. He has tons of good camping stuff on his rig. I apologize in advance for not remember who you are to give you the credit. Camping mods
Old 07-08-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troy65
Hi all,

I've seen pics of truck mods where the bed has been built up with plywood for storage below and sleeping above (and a canopy on top). If you've got pics of your mod for camping/expedition, please post. I'm seriously considering doing one myself and would appreciate any suggestions.

Troy
troy,

search "cargo box" and you will see most if not all of them. contact skyrat for his. imho, he has one of the better ones

bob
Old 07-09-2005, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Has anyone seen the flip-pac tent? It looks versatile, lightweight and I've been trying to find out more about it.

Troy
Old 07-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

This is a pic of a nice looking box I found on the new awhile ago.
Looks so super clean.

Last edited by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK; 07-09-2005 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:21 AM

I think Ironmike4x4 is talking about BajaTaco. He has a really cool website and lots of useful mods to his tacoma. http://www.bajataco.com/. Lots and lots of pics....check it out
Old 07-10-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
This is a pic of a nice looking box I found on the new awhile ago.
Looks so super clean.

hey where'd that come from?? I want to see more!!

Thx,
Mike
Old 07-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by bruzer1123
I think Ironmike4x4 is talking about BajaTaco. He has a really cool website and lots of useful mods to his tacoma. http://www.bajataco.com/. Lots and lots of pics....check it out
The link IronMike gave was for Paul, who posts as transalper. Paul recently threw in the towel on camping with kids in the 4Runner. He now has a unique camping trailer. Here's transalper's review of his Kamparoo Cub

BajaTaco does have a great gallery page of the Flip Pac camper set up that troy65 asked about. This one belongs to VikingVince. It's a really great set up!

Old 07-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Now that's what I'm talking about. Very nice set up indeed.

Troy
Old 07-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

most of these are for tacos and pickups, anyone have anything out there for runners? tent camping style?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by photomike72
hey where'd that come from?? I want to see more!!

Thx,
Mike

Ebay... I grabbed the pic cause it looked so clean. It was the only one. It was in a 4R.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

PP sells tents that connect right up to almost any SUV but they are pricey like in the $180 range.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by YeloSub7
most of these are for tacos and pickups, anyone have anything out there for runners? tent camping style?
Darren has a nice, simple set up for his 4Runner and you can see on his web page he spends a good bit of time camping in it. He also has info on window shades and ventilation -
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

I go Bagger style... Bedroll in the back, less b.s. to deal with. No kids though
Old 07-12-2005, 12:55 PM

If you want those roof tents for an suv check the magazine Australian 4WD. They have tonnes of those in the ad section at the back of the mag.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Word of warning from the link Bagger posted. Darren indicates he uses the Coleman BlackCat propane heater inside when the temps drop -- ***YEEEEEER GOOOOONNNNAAAA DIIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!***

Those things need a well-ventilated area for safe operation, otherwise you will eventually get a good case of carbon monoxide poisoning at best; permanent sleepy-time at worst. First hand experience with this situation, folks. Way scary.

I, too, sleep in the back of my 'Runner on solo trips which is about a dozen times a year. I use one of these:

http://www.furnitureontheweb.com/NoF.../023309nf.html

...as my mattress. Don't let the price tag fool you. The ones on that website are a rip off, and can be found at Costco for about $30. I like Darren's magnetic screen idea, though. Nice touch and something I'll likely try out.

Ed
Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

My setup is very low tech, but it has worked out pretty darn well, and it's pretty flexible.

http://www.scottiac.com/4runner/sleepdeck.htm

Old 07-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Grounded
Hi Troy

Cool flippac tent on VikingVince's truck! I've never seen anything like it. All seats in our SUV fold down to accomodate 2 people, but it's not very comfortable. Now that we have 4 in our family, we have a big dome tent. You're more than welcome to borrow it - it's very easy to set up (only plans so far are to use it on the weekend of July 23rd). It's about the size of an infant travel day bed/playpen (when packed up), except a little longer.

Thanks for the "Echo" tip. I had forgotten all about the Echo, and was looking at Tercels & Matrixes.

Thanks for the offer. I've just installed the last of three 5/8" plywood boards for the truck and it will work just fine. I'll have pics up soon. It's not an original idea and has been posted by someone on this board. Works great and only cost about $50.

Troy
Old 07-12-2005, 05:49 PM

where in the world do you find the flip pac tents for the pickup. I did a quick search but only found peoples websites with pictures not where to get them at????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post pics of your mods for camping