Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Overlanding Tents

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overlanding Tents

Hey guys,

This is my first post, so I hope I don't violate any rules. I recently purchased a 2011 Toyota Tacoma base-model that came with a camper top. This is exciting because I have always been interested in getting out there and overlanding, but have lacked the most important part, the vehicle.

The one downside to the camper top already being on there is that I didn't get a chance to pick it out. It unfortunately doesn't have any sliding windows, so I'll have to eventually either replace them or figure out ventilation for sleeping doors closed. For now I've been looking at other solutions so that I can get out there ASAP and enjoy my new truck. So, I've been looking for end cap tents or other solutions to give me ventilation and some privacy. The only item I've been able to find is the DAC Mid-Size Truck Tent (Link Here). Has anyone else used these? Or made their own solution? I have read the reviews and they seem good, but the lack of options concerns me and I wanted some opinions before I pull the trigger on the DAC.

I've already gained some great advice from lurking around on here, thanks everyone and glad to be a part of this community.

- ProfesserOTubes
Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do yourself a favor and get a rooftop tent. The price ranges for $1200-$5000. Its tough to bite the bullet and spend the money up front but its been worth every penny. I bought the Tepui gran sabana, its their biggest model sleeps 3-4 people. Roughly $2700. Fits my wife and I with plenty of room inside for stretching, changing and clothing bags. You leave your sheets and memory foam mattress in it. drive to your camp spot, fold open your tent and you can be sleeping in under 5 min including digging out your pillow, teddy bear and putting on your jammies. you just need to build a rack to mount above your canopy, then you still have your entire canopy for dry storage for all your other gear.

Once you get a rooftop tent you will shake your head at how long you camped in a ground tent or in the back of your truck.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 11-29-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A rooftop tent is in my longterm plans, but for now since it's really just me and the pup I'm looking for something a little more minimal. I appreciate the recommendation though and will certainly look it up when I decide to spend that money.