Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

The New ArkPak Power Supply

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The New ArkPak Power Supply

As some may have seen by my other threads, I use a Goal Zero Ranger 350 battery/inverter setup for camping to run lights and recharge camera batteries.
Well the battery in it went bad, and I was all set to buy another one, but the reviews on Amazon show that the batteries life is not good, and the batteries often fail.

In the past few issues of the Overland Journal I saw an ad for a unit called the ArkPak.
It is a battery box that includes receptacles to power your stuff when in the great outdoors, or at home during a power outage.
You supply the battery for it as in a group 31 automotive/marine one.
You can use any of the four battery types up to 130 amp hours of capacity:
Lead Acid
Gel
Calcium
AGM

Over on Expedition Portals forum was already a thread about the subject, and a member named Mike got one of these units before the USA site went live, and he has been very helpful in my decision to order one of these yesterday.
I believe Mike is running a Sears Diehard Platinum Marine AGM Group 31 in his.
Have not decided yet what battery I will buy.

You can leave this unit plugged in all the time at home on 110v power as it has a smart charger in it that will not over charge it.
If you run it in the field and want to charge it via solar, you will have to use a charge controller in line as to not over charge the battery.

I will not be powering my ARB fridge with it, I run it off of the FJs stock battery, and keep it topped off via my Powerfilm 60 watt foldable solar panel.

For running seven Goal Zero lanterns and recharging up my camera batteries, I see no need to recharge this in the field.
With that size capacity battery, you should be able to power a fridge for 5 days or so before you would need to recharge the battery.

All specs and run times are at the links below.
Also including here four of their videos which go into great detail on this new unit from Australia.

This unit can also double as a dual battery setup in your vehicle, and you can get brackets to mount it inside of your rig.
I also ordered the 12 v to 12v charger, and also the mounting kit to hold the unit while traveling, then I will take it out of the rig when setting up camp.

Links:
Australian Site
US Site To Order From

Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice bit of gear Corey... looks like it will be good to have around the house too in case of power outages and what not.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Paul, great for that too.
Power goes out here a few times in the winter.
Longest is two days, but this will be nice for lighting up the place and possibly bringing the ARB fridge inside to transfer some of the food to.

I am just glad there is an alternative to the Goal Zero which is made in China, and it actually kind of feels pretty cheap too.
That Goal Zero battery was not that cheap either.
The inverter which hooks to it is still good, can actually get a cable to power it off of a rig if need be.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here is another item I have been looking at if I want to charge up my ArkPak in the field.
http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/156/G...ontroller/6:5/

The charge controller has battery clips on so you can attach it to the ArkPak or any 12v battery for that matter, and the solar panel inputs on the controller can accept two different size cables.
My Powerfilm 60 watt solar panel I have will mate to this controller.

Amazon has these, just ordered one.
Goal Zero 14002 Guardian Silver 12V Charge Controller : Amazon.com : Automotive Goal Zero 14002 Guardian Silver 12V Charge Controller : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

ArkPak has been installed.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f204...l#post52118335
Old 10-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Over on Expedition Portals 12V/Solar section I saw a thread on a 120 watt solar panel from Ebay, then a member posted another link I felt more comfortable ordering from, a company called Solar Blvd that had a 100 watt panel.
Ordered it earlier this week.

FedEx just dropped it off 30 minutes ago, and I unpacked it and snagged a few pics.
First off I am very impressed with Solar Blvd's shipping and boxing.
The box had 90 degree angle stiff cardboard all around the outer box helping to hold the box secure.
When I opened the box I was met by a red/black bag, I did not know these shipped with one, but I am happy it did

Lots of cables came with it and instructions, which I will pour over tomorrow.
This will mainly be for charging up my AGM battery in my ArkPak when camping, since I have the Powerfilm 60 watt foldable for the FJs battery which runs the ARB fridge.

This unit looks very well constructed, and it is very hard to not get something made in China these days, know what I mean?

W Solar 100 Watt Foldable 12 Volt Solar Panel $270.00
only $169.00

No where does it mention on the URL above about it coming with a case.

In the case

Next to case

Back side showing cables and the folding aluminum frame for standing it up

Charge controller I assume

In position to catch some rays