Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Merino Wool = best stuff on Earth

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merino Wool = best stuff on Earth

Hey guys, I just registered to ask for mechanical help and thought that I would contribute something to this site.

Three months ago I discovered Merino wool. If you are an outdoors enthusiast, this stuff is great. Just Google it and read up on it--merino sounds too good to be true.

The pros: it regulates body temperature (can wear microweight in summer, and light or midweight in winter), it is antibacterial, it will not hold odors (no matter how much you sweat), it is durable and it dries out super fast.

The cons: it is expensive. Retail price for a pair of socks runs $20-$25, for a baselayer shirt or pants $90 each, for a beanie $35, for underwear $50+. However, if you want to find deals you can. Keep your eyes peeled at local stores and the Internet for closeout deals. I have scored beanies for as little $5, shirts and pants for as little as $28 each, and socks for $10.

As far as brands go, I have only tried LL Bean, Smartwool and Darn Tough. Darn Tough are by far my favorite socks. They are made in Vermont and have a lifetime guarantee. If you ever wear a hole in them, you can exchange them for a new pair. Smartwool is great because they make everything: hats, socks, baselayer, gloves, ect. However, they have started making stuff in China so watch out. Personally, I can't pay retail price ($100 for a shirt or pants) for something made in China. I think the Darn Tough socks are better quality than Smartwool socks. There are other companies out there I have not tried, such as Ibex. If you do try Merino, just make sure that the socks are at least 70% merino, and that shirts, pants and hats are 100% merino. And if you buy some, you want Merino next to your skin. Merino is itch-free and feels better than anything else I've worn, including silk and cashmere.

Hope someone benefits from this. I am just a true believer in the stuff. Two weeks ago I stood for 1hr and 10 minutes in -13 wind chill weather here in New Hampshire. All of my body was covered in Merino and I survived fine.

Last edited by Free State Yota; 02-06-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I second that....And Welcome
!
BTW... not all smartwool is 100% Merino, and it will be just as expensive. I like some of the smartwool products.

But yes, Merino Wool is very expensive, and generally the only reason they use filler material is to lower the cost of performance materials.