Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

John Muir Trail backpacking suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news!! On Friday, I got a vacation extension approved (no, I didn't get laid off) which means I can now do THE WHOLE TREK now!

I'll also need a whole new approach to this trip, stay tuned...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
trust me on the trek poles, I was a die hard big stick guy for all my life but those things will really save your knees and other lower joints, especially if there is any amount of elevation changing in your trip. Like I say, they're kinda gay but totally worth it. You can get decent ones for about $35/each nowadays...

good to hear you will be doing the whole shebang! sounds like a fun trip for sure, I'm jealous...
Old 01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I did the whole trail from south to north in 14 days back in the '80s, great trail! I did the whole trail unsupported, started w/ close to 100 lbs. in the pack (could not lift it to put it on). Averaged about 14-15 miles a day (I bailed at Toulumne Mdws instead of hiking down to the valley since I got there on a holiday weekend and the trails were absolutely packed and so dusty with all the feet). A N->S trip lets you ease into the elevation, but the S->N trip is gets the hardest stuff out of the way first and you are going against the flow, meeting more folks coming the other way but not hiking in the crowds.

I did mainly some long, higher elevation bike rides for training in the month or so before, around Lake Tahoe one weekend, across Yosemite to Tioga Pass and back another weekend and finally a one day bike ride from Yosemite valley back to the Bay Area (~200 miles) on the weekend before I started the hike (left my vehicle in the valley for the drive home).

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:10 AM

Jeezus, 100 lbs, that's dangerous man. My hats off to you for a 14 day completion though. The hot thing now seems to be taking a minimalist approach to jog/run the entire trail. These people drink straight out of the streams, sleep on the open ground and only stop to eat and poop. The record is somewhere around 3 days. That's quite an accomplishment but isn't hiking/backpacking all about taking your time to enjoy nature and your surroundings?

The Yosemite section sounds appealing, but not during the summer season. Maybe I'll just start or stop at Tuolumne meadows as well and hit it up another time.

I've heard reasons on both sides for hiking North to South vs South to North. The main point seems to be the altitude. I can see the aclimation going southbound, but I'm not convinced it's significant enough to plan around. Really, aside from a few dips and climbs, you're hovering around 10k feet the entrie route. The real aclimation comes when driving off the valley floor (sea level) to the trailhead (anywhere from 6000-10000 ft). I like the idea of running into more people coming the opposite way and not dealing with the "golf course effect" where the slow folks are always behind or ahead of you.
Elevation profile FWIW:
http://www.pcta.org/images/elevation_new.jpg

I'm still not sure about buying trekiing poles, i'd hate to buy some, not like them and have carrying them out. If I don't like hiking sticks, I can just throw them to the side.

Last edited by okie81; 01-11-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member

I like hiking sticks, but I think I carried an ice axe for the JMT. That made a good hiking stick plus was a handy tool around camp and I had plans to maybe try a few peaks on the way. Might try some short hikes with a some sort of walking stick and see if you like it. I used to have an awesome stick that I picked up out of a lake, still had all the bark on. I carved it, put on a carved wood knob on top, wrapped the grip area with rope and added a heavy steel tip. Unfortunately that one was stolen, so now I usually use an old bamboo cross country ski pole that I added a metal tip to to replace the original, broken off plastic tip. That works really well, super light and functional.

Pack was around 90lbs. dry plus I carried up to a gallon of water on top of that, especially in the areas close to popular trail heads, like coming in from Whitney Portal. I think I ended up with around 40 lbs. and that included about 1 weeks worth of food that I had left over. Having the extra food was nice as I found all my food planning before the trip went out the window the 2nd week as my food preferences totally changed.

I prefer a heavier pack, makes me slow the pace down and not push too hard. On my best hiking day, just before Evolution Valley, I did go a bit over 20 miles but then the following day, I only could manage around 5 miles as I recall, since I had overdone it the day before.

And you need to make sure and get your trip permit request in to the issuing office for the end of the trail you'll be starting at on the opening day for that season.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-11-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:03 AM

Wilderness permit came in the mail yesterday!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:03 AM

I'd like to be in your boots. What stove & H2O purifier will you use? I like MSR multi-fuel that also uses butane/propane (or isobutane mix). My own stove is an old Svea 80 in its own square metal box. Burns like blaze or a burping simmer for an hour on 6oz white gas.
What brand boots? Headlamp? Few yrs ago had to return Vasque boots as poor support/bad heel.

For coffee. Go to Peets. Have them grind Ethiopia Fancy & Guatemala San Sebastian into finest powder. Keep in tight sealed container, and cool too. Mix with cardemon, or chocolate shavings for flavor. You can drink this almost like espresso. Just let cup sit a few minutes to settle. Or use small bialetti to brew your day's drink...

Also, make sure to bring powdered fresh organic oregano, basil, garlic, onion, celery seed, sea salt, pepper, for bland food.

And, rum 151 for first aid, stove fuel, etc. What will you use for Rx-strength pain meds? Antibiotics? And firearm or is that illegal now too?

The person saying to use smartwool or wigwams is a genius. You'll get very best performance from merino wool blends. They don't lose cushion. Wear Patagonia sock liners as Capilene wicks moisture better than anything else we've used. Very pleased w/Patagonia products; cut & made for USA folks.

Dove bar soap seems to cut facial grease & grime but not dry skin out. And take vitamin/mineral...and add supplements to your water too. Carry aloe vera for skin.

Last edited by 4Us2Run; 05-06-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM

A little under a month til departure...

Snow report says there's still aplenty on the passes. It's 102 here in the valley today so hopefully things will start melting a little quicker.

Thanks for the tidbits 4us2run. To answer your questions...

Stove: pocketrocket
Filter: Katadyn Hiker pro
Shoes: New Balance Trail Runners. I've found a heavy hiking boot to be a burden over the years. Unless I'm hiking technical terrain (JMT probably doesnt have much), I'd rather save the weight and go with a sturdy running shoe with good grip.
Headlamp: Black Diamond Ion, it weighs 1 oz...perfect for a long haul.
Coffee: Starbucks VIA, although your Peets idea sounds pretty good.
Firearm: Taurus Judge, 29 oz unloaded. There used to be a law restricting firearms in National Parks until last year when Obama overturned that regulation. Now you can pack heat almost anywhere. Bear spray for backup.
Meds: Naproxen bid

I'm getting really excited for this trip. I'm trying to find that fine balance between being well-prepared yet not overloaded with unneeded weight. I've been reading a lot about Ray Jardine and some of his ultralight tactics. He conveys a backcountry mantra in finding multiple uses for things.

Last edited by okie81; 06-30-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM

T-minus 2 weeks and I'm feeling good. I was up checking trail for the Western States Run and Clocked a little over 40 miles. Pack was roughly 30 lbs. The pack stove I brought was finnicky, I hope it isn't going to be problematic. I've never operated it above 10k ft but it seems to be a fuel issue. Any good suggestions on gas stove mixtures at such high altitudes?
Old 06-30-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is my stove solution http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFgQ8gIwAg

I don't need to boil water in .322 nanoseconds when I am on vacation. A few minutes is fine. It would be a nice light backup if you are having trouble. It's all I use now.

MC
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

I used an old MSR kerosene stove on my trip. Carried 2 Sigg bottle of fuel and turns out only needed one for the 2 weeks, since kerosene stores a lot more heat that white gas.
- http://www.rei.com/product/709000/ms...kpacking-stove

That stove worked very well, even used it in Peru at about 14K ft.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Ugh...snowpack is horrendous this year, looks like I'll be hiking through some snowy passes. I checked with the Bishop Ranger Station and they said many of the Pacific Crest Trali thru-hikers are being hindered by snowy passes in the Sequoia-Yosemite area(ie, John Muir section). Lets hope for a quick thaw.
With that being said, I figured such a scenario is motivation enough to get some trekking poles. I went with a set of Black Diamonds and wow! What a difference! We were up in the Marble Mountain Wilderness last weekend and the hike was a breeze. Usually at mile 8-10 my knees are letting me know they're there. Huge improvement, we did 17 miles on Saturday, got up, and did another 14 on Sunday.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM

Hey Okie81, let us know how the hike goes! I've hiked the northern section of that trail (in September: no snow) and it was both spectacular and sparsely populated (I saw one other hiker?!). I have been on hikes on which snow was a problem, and can testify that you don't want to do it without an ice axe that you are total buddies with--especially this time of year when the "snow" has melted and refrozen. Those north-exposed chutes can go a looooong way before they flatten out.

Post pics when you're done!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Wow, nostalgia! I trekked the JMT in August of 2011 (shortly before I sold my 4Runner and started my hiatus from YT). No use trying to describe the sheer beauty of the Sierra Nevada's here. All I can say is that the JMT will change your life (mic drop).
Old 07-16-2016, 04:11 PM

/picks up mic

(tapping sound, feedback, mouth breathing sound)

Is this thing on?

Hi. Yeah, In fact I just went for a little hike in the Emigrant area. Knees were unusable for a few days after and then came down with giardiasis. Hell Yeah! Nothing like two spray craps per hour (SCPH) for two weeks to clear the mind!

Confuses me that some assholes spend $1000's for "cleansing" products when one sip of contaminated water will do the job. I've always been a cheapskate, though.