Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

camping specific mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okie81
My best camping tool is the factory Alarm:

I was camping in the woods next to my 4runner when I woke up to a couple bears lurking around my tent. I hit the panic button and sent those bears sprinting back into the woods. Now, whenever I'm out in the back country I do 2 things: set up my tent next to the truck and sleep with keys in my hand...ha ha!
Just one more reason I don't sleep in my tent anymore.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Forgot about the panic button! Scared a bear away from a cabin I was staying in one time (though it was a Nissan...)

Hot water shower: they make aftermarket kits specifically for the 22RE. Heard a lot about them from 4x4wire and the Pirate boards. I figure it's cheaper for me to stink.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bears are loving friendly creatures. Ask Timothy Treadwell.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Hey Matt,

Camping specific things I've done is a platform like yours, a second rear window switch mounted by the rear ceiling light, extension cable for the stereos line in that way you can watch a movie or Ipod from the gate and remote control stereo. I carry a large Siltarp and Skipole for an awening, a second battery with charging system, deep cycle/starting type for backup, 12V source, 110 with inverter etc...

One thing I was thinking of doing is getting the Zodi Tent Heater set up on a shelf hanging from a rear passenger window. This would allow to keep the CO source outside and keep you from starting your engine through the night. It's able to run through the night on a small bottle. Would be super comfortable I think.

All I can think of right now, have fun, see yah out there, Luc
Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM

There are also a lot of good ideas and pictures in this thread.

I think an adventure trailer would be a good option and fun to build.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Hahah all great ideas, I just took the girl friend to a secluded area last weekend (she's never camped anywhere w/o power and water) I brought the 12ga and the .22rifle to plink around with. She argued a bit and felt uneasy but I insisted on sleeping with the 12 gauge though. Around 2am she heard coyotes for the first time in her life running around the hills obviously chasing something (that excited child like laugh they do) and I hear, "Ben" and I go "it's right next to me". Good times.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I was thinking about building a hot water shower. Have a 5 gallon tank, pressurizing the tank with my on-board air (using a regulator) and forcing the water through copper tubing wrapped around the exhaust just below the cat, where the exhaust is hottest.

I guess it would take some experimentation to get the right number or wraps, the correct pressure etc so you don't end up with a 400* flesh-stripping steam cleaner.
I think that maybe using a simple system like mine with the old rear heater unit could be the cheapest and easiest way. The rear heater got it's heat from the radiator hose. Run that around your water tank maybe?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This is the box and how it fits in the rig. Real easy to remove to haul things. Notice the hi-lift and shovel mounted on the side and the recovery bag in the corner.

[IMG][/IMG]

Open box neatly packed with foam to prevent things from bouncing around.

Lets see..... we have a lantern with fuel, forks and such for eating, knives for cutting, spoons for stirring etc..... We also have some plates, pots and pans (I'm planning on some larger pans soon and I have some cast iron that just doesn't fit in the box), foil, trash bags (if you pack it in then you damn sure pack it out) and cleaning supplies. There is coffee, tea, sugar, salt/pepper/spices, napkins, TP, a first aid kit my free coleman stove with fuel and the seat of honor goes to the coffee pot. To the right of that is the recovery bag with a 30' tow strap, gloves, D ring, fire extinguisher, chain and the footing to my hi-lift.

Notice the inflated bed mat with the pump sitting in front of it? Nice and comfy.

[IMG][/IMG]

Survival bag that I pack my clothes into. There is a telescoping (spelling?) fishing rod and reel with some tackle. My hunting knife, hatchet, machete and leatherman. Binoculars, lensatic compass, some matches, two different sizes of kevlar braided rope that I think are about 60' long each and really tough stuff. My military first aid kit with some tailors needles thrown in for sewing things up, including me. You'd be surprised how well some 20lb Spider Wire will hold together a thigh. Oh some medical shears that will cut a dime in half, just in case I get charged by random change....... some duct tape, electrical tape, an emergency whistle with compass, tooth brush, tooth past, mosquito repellant a fire starting kit or two and a poncho.

I think that's it other than the ice chest with water and food and a sleeping bag, blankets and a pillow.

How's that for a camping mod!!

Last edited by Junkers88; 10-22-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
and the seat of honor goes to the coffee pot.

That is quite possibly the most organized homebrew simple camping setup I've seen yet. I like it.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 AM

A few plan's for when Washington thaws out (June?)

-Power box under bed, with a second battery (optima yellow top appropriated from a Honda civic, nice and skinny when on its side), an inverter (haven't decided on size) with power running to an outlet in the cab and another outlet in the bed (love that option on the new Tacoma's), and possibly an air compressor.

-On board air system, still thinking of the parts placement and routing, but must have a decent storage capacity.

-Home brew hot water using a heat exchanger, RV water pump, and RV outdoor shower parts.

-Finish the teardrop trailer (yeah I know 22RE, trailer, slow, underpowered, blah blah, don't care/not worried I'll get there eventually, camping not rat race) so I don't have to secure everything in truck to go wheeling.

... there may be more, we shall see
Old 01-04-2009, 01:48 PM

I've always liked those teardrop trailers.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM

I finally put together a few pics of the Teardrop for the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum On this forum there are lots of helpful people who are willing and ready with any advice to help you build one

I am building mine myself using a Harbour Freight frame and some various wood products, and covered it with white Herculiner. It still isn't done but getting close
Old 01-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Great job, good link!.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Thanks! The goal is at least campable by spring.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
I picked up an extra rear window switch from the junkyard which I plan on wiring directly to the battery (so that it will work when the car is off) then splicing into the existing window wiring to raise or lower the window. I'm planning on mounting it right by the light in the cargo area, hopefully things won't bump into it while I'm driving.
dont EVEN wire it to the battery. bad idea. well, not bad, but complete waste of time, effort, and material. i have a first gen, but it will be the same.

inside the rear left panel, (you will have to remove the jack holder, 4 bolts) find the tailgate harness. it goes out thru the bottom of the fender. just find a wiring diagram for the harness and for the switch to kno how to match the wired. all you need is 1' of wire for each of: hot, up, and down, which gives you more than enough slack.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
More cargo box pics

Portion of box that sits on top of the rear seats (removable)
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Since this post is 5 years old, I guess I won't hold my breath, but...

Stormin, did you ever do that heavy duty power outlet in the rear of your 4runner? I'd like to do the exact same thing in the bed of my 04 taco double cab for camping, but am a novice (that may be stretching it) with electrical. I've unsuccessfully scoured this site for a how-to on that. If you did this mod, can you offer some "heavy duty power outlets for dummies" advice?

Much appreciated!