Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

camping specific mods

Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so I take back my previous "sleep in a tent" statement!
This past weekend we were camping and I couldn't find a big enough, level spot to set up my tent (it's huge!) so I hauled out the bottom of one of the rear seats and set up my pad and bag in the truck. It was great! Plenty of room with the seat bottom removed and the front seat leaned forward to hang my feet. WAY easier to pack up and go too. I may be leaving my tent at home more often now!
The only downside is that if you go wheeling you still have all your sleeping stuff out in the back and then you (may) have to throw a dirty tow strap in the back too. Its tricky to keep your stuff clean, maybe build a storage box in the corner for the dirty items.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
camping box

Here's my camping box. It just clears the wheel arches so its rectangular.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks great! Almost like it's Original equipment.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Oh yeah, its roll over proof. Thanks Grant.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:11 AM

A couple more pictures, just mostly to revive the thread. I'm hoping to make an inner liner for the rear for cold-weather camping and privacy (when this van's a rockin'...), and a rear awning to cover the tailgate when it rains. As much as I like the rear tailgate, it offers no rain protection, so rainy tailgate cooking is miserable.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 AM

looks great man wen i go camping i just slide a single mattress in the back of mine and it JUST FITS but ur styling with that setup very nice.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:47 AM

We tent camp all year long - and a good zero mummy will normally do the trick around here. So that being said I don't normally sleep in my 4runner. But I did add two pieces of angle iron to my Yakima roof rack to haul in my fire wood. It keeps the bugs and wood splinters out of my cabin. It also beats carrying it on my hitch hauler and compressing the rear suspension so much. Obviously doesn't carry a ton - but it is more than it looks.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll have to wait until I get home to look at the pictures but I'm willing to bet Matt did one hell of a job.

I also took on the job of making a camping-type-rig even though I'm in a truck instead of a runner. I picked up a really big crate with handles from a friend and so far I've got my camp stove with fuel, cooking supplies (pots, pans, cleaning stuff, spices) an inflatable "truck matt" that fits the shape of the bed perfectly, the 12v pump to air up and down the mattress, first aid kit, some fire starting stuff etc. The box is held up against the front of the bed by a ratchet strap. I use another strap to hold an ice chest against the tailgate, throw my sleeping bag, a blanket and pillow in the back along with my survival 6 pocket ruck sack and I'm off and camping.

If anyone is interested I could snap some pictures when I get home.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by wardriver
You could add a point to that centre stick and perhaps you'd spear dinner as well. I'm thinking of picking up a roof rack, I like your idea.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I'll have to wait until I get home to look at the pictures but I'm willing to bet Matt did one hell of a job.

I also took on the job of making a camping-type-rig even though I'm in a truck instead of a runner. I picked up a really big crate with handles from a friend and so far I've got my camp stove with fuel, cooking supplies (pots, pans, cleaning stuff, spices) an inflatable "truck matt" that fits the shape of the bed perfectly, the 12v pump to air up and down the mattress, first aid kit, some fire starting stuff etc. The box is held up against the front of the bed by a ratchet strap. I use another strap to hold an ice chest against the tailgate, throw my sleeping bag, a blanket and pillow in the back along with my survival 6 pocket ruck sack and I'm off and camping.

If anyone is interested I could snap some pictures when I get home.
Lets see it.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
You could add a point to that centre stick and perhaps you'd spear dinner as well. I'm thinking of picking up a roof rack, I like your idea.
Thats my lance
That was a beach camping trip. I had those poles so I could do a DIY roof canopy while fishing. (two poles + tarp + attach to another pole on roof rack = lots of shade while surf fishing) I had to take the firewood in because there were no trees on the island.

I'm all about my roof rack. You can pick up a warrior basket and tote pretty much anything. I got really lucky on mine though - I was spotted a 2nd gen on the side of the road for sale with that on it. The sign said engine blown make offer...it was there for months. Owner was some chick who wasn't going to use it. I paid $60 for it and took it off right then and there - keys and all! I quoted the gear on Yakima's website and it came to just over $600.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Matt, you talked about an awning.
If you get a roof rack, you would be able to mount an awning to it and have good coverage from rain.

The box setup looks nice too.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Corey
Matt, you talked about an awning.
If you get a roof rack, you would be able to mount an awning to it and have good coverage from rain.

The box setup looks nice too.
I've got an idea in mind for the awning. I thought about the roof rack, but I doubt I will be picking one up soon, whereas here on the West Coast, its soon about to get very rainy. I'm planning to have the tarp for the awning drawn tight over the roof with bungee straps so water doesn't flow over the roof, onto the tail gate. The rest of the tarp will be held up by tent poles over and beyond the tailgate. This should give me more horsepower as well, because its like a spoiler, and obviously, cars with spoilers go faster.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:13 AM

After doing a complete drivetrain rebuild after purchasing it not running, I'm focusing on getting ready for a desert trip in mid-Oct (my first with the Runner).

Mods include:
*a 12V outlet in the rear driver's side compartment box for my electric blanket and/or small fan. 12 gauge wire.
*12V coffee maker
*400watt power inverter.
*Cheesey velcro attachment in back for my stereo remote so I can adjust "from bed."
*Remote starter so I can run the heater "from bed," though the previous posts have me thinking about monoxide.
*Oversized deep cycle battery. (single)
*Toggle switch for amplifier so I can cut power and just run the HU overnight without killing the battery.
*Bought a power pack/jump starter if I do kill the battery in the middle of nowhere (it's an automatic, no push starts). After a bit of experimentation, I realized that if I leave it plugged in to my dash cig lighter (wired for constant power) that it acts as a backup supply to the the truck battery! Voila! Dual batteries (sort of). Start the truck, charge 'em both back up!

Not necessarily "camping" mods, but cool for a campsite or tailgating:

*12V fridge
*Box of four 6x9's running 100 watts apiece at 2ohms, rear facing (got the idea from wakeboard/ski boat). Absolutely screams. Box moves to the side when sleeping.
*Audio inputs to car stereo for TV and/or laptop (placed on tailgate). Great for Fresno State games!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by qdude79
*Oversized deep cycle battery. (single)

*Bought a power pack/jump starter if I do kill the battery in the middle of nowhere (it's an automatic, no push starts). After a bit of experimentation, I realized that if I leave it plugged in to my dash cig lighter (wired for constant power) that it acts as a backup supply to the the truck battery! Voila! Dual batteries (sort of). Start the truck, charge 'em both back up!
Are you running a marine battery for the primary battery on your yota?

Did you upgrade the wiring between the battery and the cig lighter? If not I'm sure its getting warm...
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Yes, Costco (Kirkland) marine battery. 12 gauge wire to both 12V outlets straight to the battery.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM

I've been camping in my runner for quite a while. I have removed the rear inside panels and replaced them with wood covered with carpet. I mounted them with hinges so they fold down, great storage nooks. I have a dual battery setup I made out of the wiring and batts from an old Ford Super Duty, it has a switch so I can keep one batt for reserve if needed. I installed a 400W inverter, an extra DC power port. I made a shower out of a 5 gallon water tank, a sink sprayer and a windshield washer fluid pump. More to come!

Last edited by HunterHunter; 09-30-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by HunterHunter
I've been camping in my runner for quite a while. I have removed the rear inside panels and replaced them with wood covered with carpet. I mounted them with hinges so they fold down, great storage nooks. I have a dual battery setup I made out of the wiring and batts from an old Ford Super Duty, it has a switch so I can keep one batt for reserve if needed. I installed a 400W inverter, an extra DC power port. I made a shower out of a 5 gallon water tank, a sink sprayer and a widshield washer fluid pump. More to come!
I was thinking about building a hot water shower. Have a 5 gallon tank, pressurizing the tank with my on-board air (using a regulator) and forcing the water through copper tubing wrapped around the exhaust just below the cat, where the exhaust is hottest.

I guess it would take some experimentation to get the right number or wraps, the correct pressure etc so you don't end up with a 400* flesh-stripping steam cleaner.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 AM

My best camping tool is the factory Alarm:

I was camping in the woods next to my 4runner when I woke up to a couple bears lurking around my tent. I hit the panic button and sent those bears sprinting back into the woods. Now, whenever I'm out in the back country I do 2 things: set up my tent next to the truck and sleep with keys in my hand...ha ha!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
My best camping tool is the factory Alarm:

I was camping in the woods next to my 4runner when I woke up to a couple bears lurking around my tent. I hit the panic button and sent those bears sprinting back into the woods. Now, whenever I'm out in the back country I do 2 things: set up my tent next to the truck and sleep with keys in my hand...ha ha!
LOL. Why not get a self activating intruder alert mechanism- like beer cans strung on a fishing line around the camp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: camping specific mods