Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it was kinda hard to get the motor in with my ifs susp. it only fit with the batwing oilpan, pickup tube and corvette exhaust manifolds. i was gonna do a sas swap but im planning on installing some coilovers on it and making it long travel, that's why im keeping the ifs.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM

this is how it looks so far

http://s1355.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by yota2388
Looks good. There's lots of work done there but is that all we get? Two shots ain't gonna cut it! Don't leave us hanging like that! Get busy!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off....that green eclipse...GST or GSX?

Second off...Im blown away man!! I wish I had the skills to pull off building my own harness and what not. I was intimidated by a 22R to RE conversion lol

Im jealous for sure! Makes me want to put something crazy in mine...like a lambo motor or something lol
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RogueYota
First off....that green eclipse...GST or GSX?

Second off...Im blown away man!! I wish I had the skills to pull off building my own harness and what not. I was intimidated by a 22R to RE conversion lol

Im jealous for sure! Makes me want to put something crazy in mine...like a lambo motor or something lol
Thanks! The challenges just keep coming, keeping me off the streets and out of the bars...

It is a GS, now enjoyed by it's new owner. Nice little car.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 88ECToy
Looks good. There's lots of work done there but is that all we get? Two shots ain't gonna cut it! Don't leave us hanging like that! Get busy!!!
i cant find other pics i had but here are 4 more pics, im gonna take some more.
when i took the cab off to paint the chassis, when i was installing the new 220 cam springs and retainers.
http://s1355.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is amazing, love the hood. Love the Swap.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM

Continuing with the hookups, I'm not liking the upper water hose setup. There's not too many options here, but this one won't work because it runs the hose above the radiator cap. I'm also not crazy about a harness with all the colors of the rainbow.

Back to rip and tear mode. There is just enough of a dip behind the throttle body to allow the new cross over tube routing which is slightly lower than the cap, which I think will work just fine. I now know why I didn't choose plumbing for a career. Leak checks forthcoming.

At this point, I'm trying to figure out where to mount the coolant recovery and washer fluid tanks. I've shopped around looking for something to mount on the firewall, but am going to use the original ones mounted side by side.
I whipped up these brackets out of a little 1/4in Al plate. The tanks fit the space and won't hit when the hood is swung.

I'm working on coming up with a better air cleaner setup, open for suggestions. The harness wrapped in black lets me sleep better at night, too.
hey there ! I'm new to the forum just wanted to say your rig looks great ! I just picked up an 02 Tahoe to do a 5.3 Swap as well. I hope I can do half as good as a job as you ! I noticed your in Denver. I am too. Maybe we can meet up sometime and I can pick your brain and give you a helping hand with your build too.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM

I appreciate the comments! It's a lot of fun doing things the way I think they should have been done in the first place- but then again...

Right now, the engine is out again for some welding that should have been done long ago, kinda got the cart ahead of the horse. Also addressing a leak at the water pump shaft seal and a poorly routed p-s return hose.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
very nice work man, i love the innovation! i have a 7mge in mine but i've been throwing around the idea of a new project involving a v8 of some kind...
glad to see a fellow coloradoan, maybe i'll see you on the trail this summer and i can hear that thing scream!
Old 05-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Thanks! This project was a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I definitely plan on getting out this summer to our favorite camping/wheeling areas. I know there's a big Brookie in Cleveland Lake that wants to chat...

I'd love to see a couple shots of that 7mge if you're willing.

Last edited by 88ECToy; 05-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
P/S Plumbing

The steering hydraulics took a lot of bending and flaring of the SS tubing for the 37* AN fittings used to tie it all together. I decided to cut and weld a 90* fitting to the steering box port that was closest to the pump wheel thinking I could gain some clearance. Now, I've always been careful not to consider or call myself a welder knowing full well the talent and skills possessed by REAL welders, but I can usually get the job done. Welding this fitting gave me fits, couldn't get good penetration on the housing until, by whatever magic world changing force that suddenly occurs out of nowhere, I realized the housing is cast. Duh! A little consultation with someone who actually knows and some preheating, it should be done. We'll see once the pressure os on.

what are the exact dimensions of those fittings you used to mate up the powersteering pump to the steering case?

Reason being, I think Im just going to use -4an or -6an lines, but I'd def need to know what fitting that is that fits the OEM steering box.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:12 AM

I know there's a big Brookie in Cleveland Lake that wants to chat...
haven't spent too much time up that way but it sounds nice, there's some good trails in that area that i want to try this summer (holy cross, iron chest etc)

I'd love to see a couple shots of that 7mge if you're willing.
my swap is no where near as pretty as yours but its treated me well, i've put 40k miles on it in 5 years.

Name:  IMG_1015.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  271.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1023.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  276.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2042.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  66.1 KB

this was my first engine swap and it was definitely hurried. my next one will me much cleaner. there's more pics in my build thread if it interests you (see the link in my signature).
keep up the good work, i'm subscribed

Last edited by liveoffroad; 05-08-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
but its treated me well, i've put 40k miles on it in 5 years.
'pretty' is only skin deep, and the fact that you've put so many miles on your swap clearly indicates it was done properly. Well done! Thanks for the pics.

Oh and, if you need a trail guide for Iron Chest or Holy Cross, I'm there!

Last edited by 88ECToy; 05-08-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
what are the exact dimensions of those fittings you used to mate up the powersteering pump to the steering case?

Reason being, I think Im just going to use -4an or -6an lines, but I'd def need to know what fitting that is that fits the OEM steering box.
Not sure what it is you're asking for, I think it's about the fittings on the steering box. For clearance issues between the pump pulley and the box, I took a -6, 90* JIC (steel) fitting and cut off one leg then welded it onto the nose section of the box over the fluid port, resulting in a tight 90 off the box instead of the tube running straight off it. There is no off the shelf reverse flare x -6AN/JIC 90 that I know of.

The pressure line off the pump is 3/8, I just chopped off the flex portion then flared the end 37 deg. for the AN fittings.

I think a -4 would be too small.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM

f you need a trail guide for Iron Chest or Holy Cross, I'm there!
sweet i'll have to hold you to that, i plan on getting up in the BV area a lot this summer. are you locked F & R?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 PM

Yup, ARB's F&R. 4.70 low range, 4.88 R&P's, 35's.

Looking for a 1st gen Runner to 'fix up', kinda like yours. Need the extra seating.

Last edited by 88ECToy; 05-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 AM

Yup, ARB's F&R. 4.70 low range, 4.88 R&P's, 35's.

Looking for a 1st gen Runner to 'fix up', kinda like yours. Need the extra seating.
great well you can pull me out then since i'm open in the front
yea i love having the back seat, my only complaint with the runner is that there's no good place to put a full size spare, (i'm not big on rear tire carriers) which is why i have a 33 crammed up underneath.

Last edited by liveoffroad; 05-10-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Update: Engine reinstalled, all connections made and fluids filled, the engine fired right up. The water pump leaked at the shaft, the oil pressure was a steady 15psi and the check engine light on. Here we go. Replaced the water pump, installed a new Melling HV oil pump, and found a pushed pin in the engine ground circuit at the firewall connector. Restart, no more CEL, a lot smoother idle, and...

More or less done

...and dressed up for the dance

Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Awesome buildup! looks great!

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap