Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

Which LS accessory drive fits better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:09 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which LS accessory drive fits better?

For front-to-back motor length, the corvette has the shortest accessory drive available. The camaro/firebird crank pulley is shorter than the truck and the corvette is even shorter than that.

Magpede's L33 fits in his '91 pickup with a corvette accessory drive. Note the alternator up top on driver side.

Will the camaro accessory drive also fit between the rails just as well, even though it has the alternator and PS pump switched?

Lots of LS accessory drive info here and here is the motor I'm trying to use, which already has a camaro setup on it:
Attached Thumbnails Which LS accessory drive fits better?-5.3l-camaro-acc-drive.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FGZ
For front-to-back motor length, the corvette has the shortest accessory drive available. The camaro/firebird crank pulley is shorter than the truck and the corvette is even shorter than that.

Magpede's L33 fits in his '91 pickup with a corvette accessory drive. Note the alternator up top on driver side.

Will the camaro accessory drive also fit between the rails just as well, even though it has the alternator and PS pump switched?

Lots of LS accessory drive info here and here is the motor I'm trying to use, which already has a camaro setup on it:
I "sort of" used a corvette accessory drive.

The brackets aren't factory, they're from kwik performance.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Here's a shot to compare by. The pump, as you can see, is a tight fit on the steering box. I don't believe there's nearly enough room for the lower alternator.

Hope this helps. Les

Last edited by 88ECToy; 02-28-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:20 PM
FGZ

Definitely helps. Like I said I have the Camaro setup as my starting point. I'm quite ready to drop the AC compressor off of the passenger side if I start having clearance issues, but it looks like I'll be lucky to make out so easily.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may be able to get away with running the camaro accessories and it will probably eliminate the chance of running your thermo on the engine side of the radiator if you wanted to go that way. LS2/3 will give you a fair bit more clearance. Running that on mine and theres around 10mm clearance between the balancer and the 16" thermo I'm using
Old 03-23-2016, 03:34 AM
FGZ

Originally Posted by crum
You may be able to get away with running the camaro accessories and it will probably eliminate the chance of running your thermo on the engine side of the radiator if you wanted to go that way. LS2/3 will give you a fair bit more clearance. Running that on mine and theres around 10mm clearance between the balancer and the 16" thermo I'm using
Thanks bud! I'm crossing my fingers that between the 2" body lift, pushing the motor waaay back into the firewall (and possibly modifying the firewall a little) and modifying the radiator mount to go forward as far as possible, I might be able to fit the electric fan on the motor side without too much trouble. That's the hope.

Do you have a build thread anywhere?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a bit of a build thread here. Seems as though a few of the pics have disappeared though. I'm in Australia so everything is opposite hand which was good in some ways and not in others. No bashing of firewall for clearance but it meant a lot of mucking around to make a clutch master cylinder work. My radiator is just a cheap ebay 4Runner aftermarket item which seems to do the job. Its mounted as far forward as possible and give me about 10mm clearance to the fan.
My only complaint with the conversion is the short 5th gear in the R150 tranny which I'm thinking is the cause of the not so great fuel economy. I'm currently looking into doing the dyna 5th gear swap but I think i'll run into problems like a few others have with the earlier transmission.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...p?f=32&t=22540