Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

LGarduno 4.3 Swap Starts

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LGarduno 4.3 Swap Starts

Okay guys, I figured I would start a 4.3 Swap thread, as I could easily hi-jack someone elses thread.

Specs- 1995 Toyota 4Runner 3.0

Motor - 2000 4.3L out of Blazer w/70,000 miles (whole truck - $700.00)Tranny - 4L60e that was mated to motor
TransferCase - looking at np208 or np241 still haven't decided
Wiring - Going to attemp this myself (If all else fails just man up and buy a harness)
Suspension - already have the SAS complete 4" front 5" rear
Fuel - Planning on inline pump.

I will be asking some general questions on this before I actually start ripping apart the trucks as I want to make sure that I understand the wiring first.

Question 1 - I know that I will have to have the VCM reflashed, but do I have to retain the Body Control Module(BCM)?

Question 2 - Can the guys that have performed this swap post some pics of there fuse and fuel pump relay setups. I have some ideas running through my head and want to see if they are close to right.

Thanks,
Lee
Old 03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You shouldnt have to reflash the VCM unless you plan on getting rid of systems that would affect the way the computer controls the motor. Im running a 97 csfi 4.3 from an auto blazer. The only cose it throws so far is a fuel level sensor lol. I avent driven it yet. But that is at idle for a few min.

And if you dont use the BCM harness at all, the motor will not start. There are ways of getting around it by looping some wires and adding in resistors or something like that. I read a thread on Pirate a while back about it. But never found it again. Time to search

The wiring isnt to bad. Not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. Even though my buddy did it for me But only like 10-15 wires had to be modified. Most of which just needed constant of switched power sources. Just be sure to get the wiring diagram for your exact motor. And the pinout diagrams too.

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 03-08-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM

When you got the harness off of the blazer, did you get all of the wiring that was inside of the truck as well as the engine harness? I am just looking at a 5 gallon bucket full of wiring and trying to sort through it all. I did get all of the wiring diagrams for my year of Blazer and going through seeing which wires I need and don't need. If I PM you some PDF's of the VCM connectors with the notes that I have made, do you think you could have your buddy take a look at them and let me know if I have lost it or am on the right direction.
Thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the motor pulled for me. I have the VCM, all the plugs that go to it, and all the wires that come off those. I do not have a bcm if thats what you are referring to. But i still have all the wiring that goes to the dash and the auto trans. I just left the plugs and tied them out of the way.

I would, but i dont have a printer, and he doesnt have a computer I will keep searching for the bcm thread i read though. I will help as much as i can. But i am definatly not an expert on wiring.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Okay so I got both motors pulled and started to rebuild the blazer motor and ran into something I would call a snag. Question is should the timing chain have some sort of tensionor on it? It did not when I pulled the cover and there is a lot of slop in the chain and I do not like that.

I will post pics in a few.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 PM

After 4 months the motor has been test fitted.

Small issue though the intake plenum won't allow the hood to close. Guess I will have to make a custom coal induction hood.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:22 PM

move your motor mounts down 1.5inches on the frame and your hood should fit
Old 06-30-2011, 05:45 PM

I thought about that, but without getting a clocking ring for the tcase the np241 will hang to low. So lowering the drivetrain is really not a viable option.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:22 PM

put a 2 in body lift on it
Old 08-19-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is this BCM you speak of? What years had them?

I am stripping an 89 S10 Blazer and haven't found anything like this.

Could it be I don't have one?
Old 08-20-2011, 05:19 AM

I believe it is only on the newer models yours should be fine.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM

I'm in the middle of the same swap on my 92runner with a 92 4.3 vortec with 90k. I have an auto trans anyone know if that will work. Or would it be easier/smarter to convert it to 5spd ?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 AM

I do not think that anyone make a trans adapter for the 4.3 to Toyota auto tranny. I looked around for almost 4 mos and ended up going the 4l60e and an older np241 tcase that had a gas in it. Just need to finish up the wiring.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phildelfino
What is this BCM you speak of? What years had them?

I am stripping an 89 S10 Blazer and haven't found anything like this.

Could it be I don't have one?
Originally Posted by lgarduno
I believe it is only on the newer models yours should be fine.
what year do you think they started using a bcm. im looking at getting a 93 4.3
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Hey chaos, hows your build coming along?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Lgarduno, where did you get your motor mounts?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:41 AM

I thought I would go the easy route of getting them from advance adapters, but ow I have to modify them to lower the drivetrain. I put an angle gauge on the motor and saw I have a 10 degree slope from from to back and I do not like that. So. I now have to lower the mounts a couple of inches just like stated by some of tye prior posts.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 AM

thanks. from what i have been reading i'm gonna stay away from the AA stuff for this swap. Probably just gonna get transdapt mounts for putn a sbc in a 4runner and make those work.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM

So after a house move and the Christmas season, I have come across some overtime at work and am starting to make some head way with the swap. I ended up sending the wiring harness and computer to Jim's Performance to get the finishing touches added as well as re-flash the ECM. It appears to done with great quality and very fast turn around. Jim also places all new loom and tags the plugs and loos wires just like you would expect from a brand new harness. The only issue has nothing to do with Jim but that UPS broke some of the tabs off of the ECM plugs on the shipment back home. Will talk to Jim about this tomorrow. I have since lowered the enigine about 2" to make the hood clear. I am going to be working on making a custom clocking ring for the NP241 to help with the ground clearance.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM

I am anxiously awaiting the progress on this build. I would love to do this myselfin the future.

Quick Reply: LGarduno 4.3 Swap Starts