YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Engine Swap Talk > Domestic Swaps
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

4.0 v6 ford swap

1990's explorers plenty of power, more compact than a v8. and best part - cheap, cheap, cheap. any thoughts
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

i own a 97 ford ranger with a 4.0l and would never dream of
puting that piece of in a toyota, i would highly recommend a 4.3 vortec, i bought a chevy donor truck from
a wrecking yard for $500 bucks with a small block 350, do your homework before getting in over your head, good deals
r out there, just be patient
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

if your gonna do a swap do it right a v8 swap 5.0 ford is narrower than a 350 and is much better because the distrib is in the front i mean i have a 350 in my yota and you will never dream of gettin as much power out of a v6 plus they have all the parts you will need to do a v8 swap for ford or chevy havent seen anything for a 4.0 ford swap so i think it would be pretty tough definatly not cheap by any means to do any kinda swap
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

and the evergreen guys chime in ! but still a v8 is too big "imho" 4.3's have been done again and again, i want something a little different.hyme, what troubles have u had with yer explorer. i wheel the wee! outa mine, the only prob i've had is water pump 3x
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

my '97 ranger is 2wd with a leveling kit, my 4.0l ticks like hell...i call it the "tick'n time bomb"
i go where 4x4's go all the time, i do get stuck every now and then, but then again it's my
beater truck that i bought for 500 bucks
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

4.0 are nothing to be desired, even the OHC engines are nothing to write about. Do a 4.3 Chevy V6 swap or a Toyota 3.4 swap. If your a Ford guy then run a 302.

James
Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Clarification- dont want a v8, too big. lets stay on target. opinions are great, but " why " is important too. is this just another ford vs. chevy thing or is there something wrong with these things. was considering using a two wheel version with the ford 4 speed auto in my yota dually for a tow rig
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

any more thoughts
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

anybody ?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member

elton hostler
Send a message via AIM to Elton Send a message via MSN to Elton
buy a ford ? don't disgrace a toyota buy putting a crappy motor in
97 honda civic lx 4dr ls vtec
Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Here's my opinion:
The push rod 4.0 is a good engine, but not a great one. The main problem i see with a 4.0 push rod swap is the bell housing is different from the common sbf. The trans that comes behind those is an off-shoot of the ford c3. There are some manual transmissions, but parts interchangeability isn't going to be as good as it could be.

If you want a ford v6 that is compact and cheap, get a 3.8 from a mustang or better yet a 4.2 from an f150. These engines are externally the same, and share the same bell housing bolt pattern as a sbf. The smallest intake manifold that will fit either one is the one from a windstar van. The van intake is small-normal sized, the mustang intake is kinda big, and the truck intake is HUGE. The big intakes make power but don't fit. Every sensor on these engines can be used with megasquirt if you don't want to screw with a factory pcm, and the factory EDIS6 ignition is excellent. The accessory drive from the van is the shortest too, the one on the mustang and the f150 are both pretty deep.

The gm 3800 v6 would be a great swap too. The later model ones have an intake manifold made of aluminum top and bottom, and make the most power. Durability is great, parts availability should be good as there are TONS of late model cars that came with this engine. There are supercharged versions of this too. I don't know about the bell housing though.

I know you don't want to hear about v8 swaps, but this v6 swap will take just as much time and money. I think the power would be sufficient from any of the above v6's though.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
totally a bro
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to vital22re
good luck getting it to run right. When i worked as a mechanic we did a lot of Fixing on those 4.0's Lots of random misfires. Not the best choice in my opinion.
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TOY View Post
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I NEVER have problems getting my crank off....
.....not sure why so many people have problems.
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Possibly end your existance for a dollar?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

I wouldn't do it. I'm sure it can be done, but why spend $2,000 trying to put a ford motor into a toyota?

The weak link on your toyota post swap will be the motor.
10/15 MPG city/hwy(with 33's)
Current Mods
Headers, 2.5" Flowmaster custom exhaust, K&N FIPK
KC Daylighters, electric fan
Ranchos x4, 2" Lift Downey coils
33-12.50 M/T's, 1" t-bar lift, 1" body lift
Tow pkg w/ lighthookups
Silverstar Headlights, Pioneer Deck w/XM
Brushguard
250Watt JLAudio 8" W3 Sub

Future Mods
12V Aux outlet-400/800peak inverter
roof basket/lights
Air locker
4.88 gears
H.O. Alternator
Old 03-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

I don't have any idea how hard it would be but I had a 94 ranger with a 4.0 and it was a great motor. drove it for years and never had a problem. even submerged it once. pulled the plugs and pumped it out, changed the oil and away it went never had a problem. I say go for it. Im doing a 5.0 swap right now but if you want a V6 I think the 4.0 is great.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was under the impression that the 4.0s were decent motors. tons of power and good mileage. my buddies puting a built 4.0 with around 280 horse in his bronco II soon. As far as I know I thought they worked well. A lot of guys are using them as race motors in the SC trucks

http://www.yotatech.com/f206/1996-t1...ogress-231495/
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
GVX

If you want to go with a V6 ford the 3.0 is a more durable and dependable engine. Plus they get better fuel mileage than the 4.0's (I had a manual 3.0 Mazda and if i drove it sensibly I got 32-34 MPG on the hwy). I have 30+ year's as an ASE certified master tech mechanic for a living and this has been my experience. I think your road block will be adapting the engine to the trans or transfer case (or maybe you have access to a talented machinist) unless you use the whole drive-train (so why not just build a ranger)(. I don't think its a Ford against a Chevy thing it's just a practicality thing you know Bang For The Buck. my vote is for the V8 if you really want a V6 the 3.4 Toyota motor ($6-700.00) is the easiest and most economical swap even if you had a free Ford donor truck. Then again I have done unusual projects before just because. Good luck. You could do what Mazda did and put your toyota emblems on the ranger LOL
Old 11-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #17 (permalink)

Where do you people keep finding 3.4s at for that cheap? Here in Utah I can't find a 3.4 for less then 1300 at the least. But, this is Utah as well, offloading is what happens quite a bit.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
GVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVRUGBY View Post
Where do you people keep finding 3.4s at for that cheap? Here in Utah I can't find a 3.4 for less then 1300 at the least. But, this is Utah as well, offloading is what happens quite a bit.
I'm not sure where in utah you are but here is 1 somewhere in utah
Engine
Toyota 4RunnerON SHELF READY TO SHIP169,600A026072$700Save-On Auto USA-UT(Vernal) Request_Quote 435-789-1311 / 877-789-8669 Request_Insurance_Quote
Try car-part.com
Old 11-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVX View Post
I'm not sure where in utah you are but here is 1 somewhere in utah
Engine
Toyota 4RunnerON SHELF READY TO SHIP169,600A026072$700Save-On Auto USA-UT(Vernal) Request_Quote 435-789-1311 / 877-789-8669 Request_Insurance_Quote
Try car-part.com
I'm curious to where you found this info. That engine is about 1.5-2 hours east from me. Hmmmm, this is great news!!

Last edited by UVRUGBY; 11-03-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
GVX

http://car-part.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by UVRUGBY View Post
I'm curious to where you found this info. That engine is about 1.5-2 hours east from me. Hmmmm, this is great news!!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1990, 40, 40ford, 54, engine, ford, ford40, ignition, module, motor, swap, swaps, toyota, v6, yotatech