Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

1990 toyota pickup 302 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 toyota pickup 302 swap

Hi I have a few questions! I'm new to the toyota scene and have a blown up 3.0 that I'm looking to put a 302 in. What I need to know is what do I need and were do I get it? Please help!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM

NWOR is where you start. Northwestoffroad.com
Old 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're asking about a project that is going to require a TON of research.

There are no fewer than a dozen sites that you can visit for this. Start right here, then check out Pirate4x4, Colorado4x4.org, and maybe Fordtrucks.com to name a few. Get busy, read until your eyes pop out, then read some more. It won't take long before you're flooded with info, from which you'll sort out what you need as this is not an uncommon swap. I'm not trying to be a dick, just pointing the way. Try to have it all planned out before picking up a wrench. Don't limit yourself to one or two parts sources, either. Shop around, prices vary wildly. Specific questions? Fire away!!!

I hope to see a write up on this! It's gratifying seeing the fruits of your own labor.

Last edited by 88ECToy; 03-15-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM

I'm in the process of the swap right now. Is your's 2 or 4wd? I bought motor mounts from northwest offroad. I also installed it with a T5 5spd from a mustang and a 8.8 trac lock rear end with 3.73 gears from an explorer(direct bolt in). I'm going with a carb setup. I've got everything in, now I'm just figuring out a cooling system, ignition, and fuel/intake set up. I did not do a body lift but did install sway-a-way torsion bars. Feel free to ask me any questions. There are quirks here and there i found. I was in the same boat as you when I started. All people wanna say is "look it up on your own" instead of helping. I have a ton of links though for everything haha. Hope to see a response.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys, I finished this same swap in an 89 4x, I took pictures every step of the way and kept all receipts from all parts and tools I had to pick up on along the way. You're gonna need patients, $$ and mechanical knowledge... Let me know if theres anything I can do to help.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the help guys I decided against the V-8 swap and went with a 3.4 should be here next week I will post pics when I'm done I've tore into the pickup and found tons of little hidden surprises so I've been focusing on little problems before I get the motor
Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 AM

I am looking into doing this but with a 351W Only difference of course is deck height which I can add a hood scoop or make a custom cowl hood for the truck if need be. Do you have a link to any builds, your builds, and a parts list? Judging by NWOR it is all bolt in including using the stock tranny 5 seed. Now if you want to think I am crazy I am almost debating on using the new modular 5.0 for the money I want to build the 351W for. The heads alone I want will cost over half the amount of that motor and I think the new coyote of course has more potential. Same motor mounts but I do not know engine bay dimensions of the Toyotas. I have dimensions of all the motors. The only part on the front of the 351W I would be worried about is the smog pump and power steering pump. Any info here?

Also on your swaps I am debating on using the stock 5 speed. For the life of me I cannot find ANY support on how much power they can handle. Also looking at swapping in a t-56 using a older 4.6L bell housing if I go with the 3.51 and the new 6 speed manual if I go new 5.0. I just like the idea of 2 over drives.

Lots of questions are going through my mind but would like a link to a build thread that is detailed please
Old 06-06-2013, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tankz
Also on your swaps I am debating on using the stock 5 speed. For the life of me I cannot find ANY support on how much power they can handle.
Think about how you plan to use the truck. Are you going to just drive and wheel it, being nice to it, or (like the rest of us) are you going have fun with it, feeling the power? I'm sure the stock tranny will hold up under normal conditions, but sooner or later, you're gonna let that dog eat!

Back to the OP.

Last edited by 88ECToy; 06-06-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:26 PM

hey guys i have a question on this i see a lot of people doing a v8 swap in a 4x4 yota but not 2 wheel drive i picked up a 2 wheel drive i want to play with and i have a 351w i would like to install but my questions are will the suspension torshan bars handle it?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:38 AM

Super simple, depending on your area you can do the swap for as little as $400 seeing as you have a a welder and experience. buy a 1987-1995 ford bronco or f150 4x4 with manual transmission (automatic makes it difficult due to length) the full size will be the complete donor truck for the toyota. yes you might think "hey wouldnt it be simpler to swap just the body?" sure if have taken into consideration that the width of the bronco or f150 frame is much wider and you will have to remove stock mounts and try to get them in the right place, or you can take the wires motor drivelines and running gear from the donor and place them into the toyota. cheapest way if you think you have the experience is to take the toyota mounts for the motor and mounts for the 302 cut and frankenstine them together and do the same with the transmission mounts along with cutting the drivelines from the donor welding them back together and taking them to a shop to get balanced, whammy done. That year of truck or suv comes with the Fuel Injected 302. might take some time im still looking started looking the other day for the truck and there is more automatics than standards but its not impossable to find, currently in debate with a man on craigslist about getting one for 700 and im offering him 500 cash cause i cant look at it myself, and around the portland area i can have the motor rebuilt for about 1,000.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:51 AM

T5 transmission mount

Originally Posted by 99snake
I'm in the process of the swap right now. Is your's 2 or 4wd? I bought motor mounts from northwest offroad. I also installed it with a T5 5spd from a mustang and a 8.8 trac lock rear end with 3.73 gears from an explorer(direct bolt in). I'm going with a carb setup. I've got everything in, now I'm just figuring out a cooling system, ignition, and fuel/intake set up. I did not do a body lift but did install sway-a-way torsion bars. Feel free to ask me any questions. There are quirks here and there i found. I was in the same boat as you when I started. All people wanna say is "look it up on your own" instead of helping. I have a ton of links though for everything haha. Hope to see a response.
I know this post is old but was wondering if could get some help mounting T5 transmission
Old 12-01-2017, 04:15 AM

I have a fuel injected 302 in mine with some go-fast goodies, and so far my toyota v6 transmission seems to be holding up ok, and I have a heavy foot, as well as 35" tires. I don't dump the clutch at high rpm, but once the clutch is out, I'm not shy about
mashing the pedal all the way down and barking the tires in 3 gears with a locked rear axle. This is in a 1980 pickup body, with a 5.0L from a 96 ford explorer, radiator, trans, tcase, and rear axle are from a 93ish v6 pickup, and it has a lunchbox locker in the rearend. 4.10 gears, FiTech throttle body EFI, edelbrock performer intake, shorty headers, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 60 muffler. It's a pretty fun truck that lowers property values when i drive through nice neighborhoods.
I commute almost daily in it, about 80 miles a day, getting an average of 17 mpg, running 75 mph on the interstate. EFI passed emissions testing in Nashville, TN.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by thechief86
It's a pretty fun truck that lowers property values when i drive through nice neighborhoods.
Your truck would actually enhance what I call "nice" neighborhoods...
The following users liked this post:
Franicevic (08-24-2022)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by yotaman107
hey guys, I finished this same swap in an 89 4x, I took pictures every step of the way and kept all receipts from all parts and tools I had to pick up on along the way. You're gonna need patients, $$ and mechanical knowledge... Let me know if theres anything I can do to help.
I getting ready to do this swap. My trying to figure out clearance for the radiator and keeping the factor ac
Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 AM

Looking to do the same

Originally Posted by 99snake
If you could post any links that would be amazing. Do you have any pictures or videos of your build would love to watch on YouTube or follow the journey. looking to do the exact same thing to my truck I keep waiting for the 22re to die. I have a 93 4*4 I read that it’s possible to use the stock transmission with adapter plates whats your thoughts on this were you able to find any adapter options and I’m worried about the added power breaking components
Old 08-24-2022, 10:15 AM

Vey interested in doing the same thing

Originally Posted by thechief86
I have a fuel injected 302 in mine with some go-fast goodies, and so far my toyota v6 transmission seems to be holding up ok, and I have a heavy foot, as well as 35" tires. I don't dump the clutch at high rpm, but once the clutch is out, I'm not shy about
mashing the pedal all the way down and barking the tires in 3 gears with a locked rear axle. This is in a 1980 pickup body, with a 5.0L from a 96 ford explorer, radiator, trans, tcase, and rear axle are from a 93ish v6 pickup, and it has a lunchbox locker in the rearend. 4.10 gears, FiTech throttle body EFI, edelbrock performer intake, shorty headers, 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 60 muffler. It's a pretty fun truck that lowers property values when i drive through nice neighborhoods.
I commute almost daily in it, about 80 miles a day, getting an average of 17 mpg, running 75 mph on the interstate. EFI passed emissions testing in Nashville, TN.
I am also located around Nashville do you have any pictures or links you could share that would help in this process what clutch did you use and how did you bolt the trans to the motor