Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK so I hacked a crap load out, and hooked up the plus and minus. Nothing is happening. Blinker lights are on, in solid state. any ideas?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OMG man, hacking out the 4runner's wiring would be the last thing I'd ever do... Do you have the Toyota FSM? It has all the wiring schematics for the whole truck. Sounds like you are putting 12v into the lights directly and bypassing the flashers....but I'm not sure on that front.

I'm going to leave the whole Toyota harness intact and only splice into the wires needed to make the GM components operate.

The LS1 harness doesn't seem too terribly bad to mod, just painstaking. the more research im doing, the easier this swap is appearing to be. Good luck with your issues man, I wish I could be more help.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-03-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Figured it out. One of the wires in the bay wasnt hooked up and it is what completes the circuit. So most of the stuff works, I removed about 2/3rds of the wiring. My alternator hits the steering box. Damnit. Supposedly the Camaro has a smaller box. Had I had it to do over again I would buy a motor out of a corvette. Correct oil pan, intake, accessories, most compact design, wider at top narrow at bottom.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Picture
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM

Of my motor or the corvette one I wish I had?

Here is a photo of the wires removed from the 4Runner body harness. And the harness still happens to mostly work. I'm shocked. On a side note 48kb is NOT enough for any modern photo. This image now looks like crap. It isn't 1998 anymore. Is there a way to become a premium member or something and not get the limitation of posting images the size of stamps...
Attached Thumbnails 1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap-imag0187.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Get a free pgotobuck account then use the img code to padte the picture on ur thread
Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM

Did u get any pictures of the motor in ur ride or did i yank it out already
Old 06-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Yanked it, new one is in though.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Any updates? Also will a differential drop help any with clearing the oil pan?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:47 PM

A diff drop would help, or getting a bat wing oil pan. I wanted to keep it as stock and bolt in as possible so if this drivetrain has to go into a different runner it can.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:36 PM

One thing I discovered is that the corvette ls3 water pump is the SHORTEST gm water pump out there, a full 1" shorter than the truck versions. This does however necessitate using all the accessories from an LS3, but this will cut down on the engine's overall length a good 1" or so allowing the use of electric fans in the traditional locations. As a cool bonus the accessories are located in a more convenient location for our swap.

The one bugaboo that I have yet to figure out is the AC compressor's alignment using a truck compressor with the LS3's AC belt routing....im hoping all I'd need is a new ls3 compressor clutch to keep it cheaper.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
One thing I discovered is that the corvette ls3 water pump is the SHORTEST gm water pump out there, a full 1" shorter than the truck versions. This does however necessitate using all the accessories from an LS3, but this will cut down on the engine's overall length a good 1" or so allowing the use of electric fans in the traditional locations. As a cool bonus the accessories are located in a more convenient location for our swap.

The one bugaboo that I have yet to figure out is the AC compressor's alignment using a truck compressor with the LS3's AC belt routing....im hoping all I'd need is a new ls3 compressor clutch to keep it cheaper.
I didn't know that it was that much shorter than the truck water pump. You learn something new everyday, thank you. I have done two 5.3 swaps to date including one in a 96 S10 which is similar to the amount of room the Yota's have (See Below Pictures). I am planning on a 5.3 swap for my yota in about 6 months after I pay off some bills. As for the AC route, check out current perfomance's kit, its similar to the ls3. http://www.currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/AC.html. Although you will still have to have some custom Ac lines made up at a local Ac shop.

Last edited by Krazy Ken; 06-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt
New motor/tranny on the way, much better shape, and all aluminum. Project is actually considerably easier than I thought it would be, only other person I have seen thats done it did it with SAS and I think that's cheating Agreed

Fuel economy, power, and still in production parts with 0 frame modification. What more could I ask for?
Did you have to do any IFS lift to clear your oil pan or do you have the stock IFS platform? Also are you going to use the pre 1997 4l60e for your dana 300? I was kicking around whether I wanted to do that or run my v6 toyota/ transfer case with other adapter kits.

Also one more question, I have read in the advance adapter toyota catalogue (which by the way has answered more swap questions for me than any other forum I have found and is a very useful piece of info) that the narrowest exhaust manifold they found was 25" and the frame rails were 23" or something of that sort. http://www.advanceadapters.com/pdf/toy_ebook.pdf (Noted at the top of page 4) Have you run in that problem yet?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 PM

hey guys i am really new to this website, but i have a question: how does my toyota look, and does the exo cage make it look worse? i am not goint to take the cage off though, but i want to hear your guy's opinions.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Krazy Ken
I didn't know that it was that much shorter than the truck water pump. You learn something new everyday, thank you. I have done two 5.3 swaps to date including one in a 96 S10 which is similar to the amount of room the Yota's have (See Below Pictures). I am planning on a 5.3 swap for my yota in about 6 months after I pay off some bills. As for the AC route, check out current perfomance's kit, its similar to the ls3. http://www.currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/AC.html. Although you will still have to have some custom Ac lines made up at a local Ac shop.

I just discovered the difference is closer to 2" than 1"!! Check out post #343 on this link:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...2-nova-18.html

Originally Posted by Krazy Ken
Did you have to do any IFS lift to clear your oil pan or do you have the stock IFS platform? Also are you going to use the pre 1997 4l60e for your dana 300? I was kicking around whether I wanted to do that or run my v6 toyota/ transfer case with other adapter kits.

Also one more question, I have read in the advance adapter toyota catalogue (which by the way has answered more swap questions for me than any other forum I have found and is a very useful piece of info) that the narrowest exhaust manifold they found was 25" and the frame rails were 23" or something of that sort. http://www.advanceadapters.com/pdf/toy_ebook.pdf (Noted at the top of page 4) Have you run in that problem yet?
What does that even mean? I get the 23" width between the frame rails, so Im guessing they are referring to the width of the exhaust manifold's outlets for a truck? One would think with the corvette accessories and a LS1/2/6 manifold up top, then engine shrinks in height a good 4" and in length about 2". This should allow the engine to be mounted a bit higher above the frame rails, leaving more room for the exhaust manifolds. With the corvette setup the engine is more of a wedge shape.

Also the corvette/camaro oil pan will further decrease the engine's overall height. And heck you can do a differential drop and a 2" body lift if need be.

If you are going to do a swap, the ONLY engines I would even consider outside of a gen III/IV vortec would be a 7mgte or a 2jzgte.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 06-25-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Dang that water pump is super neat. I wish I would have know you could use the truck accessories and the LS3 water pump together. My buddy and I had a hell of a time fitting his 5.3 and had to make a ton of stuff including special coil pack brackets. We have less than an inch between the threaded pulley on the water pump and the electric fans. We did months and months of research before we started his swap and learned the shallowest LS oil pan available at the time was the Hummer H3 Alpha oil pan.

P.S. I called advance adapters this morning and got part numbers and prices to run the Toyota v6 5spd (r150f) and the Toyota transfer case. The guy I talked to was super nice but your looking at about $1,500 in bell adapter and special custom clutch/pressure plate set ups behind the LS motors. Looks like I'd probably choose a 93-97 one piece case 4l60e with the 4 bolt tail housing and mate it up with a Dana 300 with the different input. Depending on price of tranny and transfer case your only looking at $60 for the adapter and $175 for the input shaft. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4l...0-kits-555833/ .Only problem i haven't looked into with that setup yet is the VSS and the whole speedo cable non-sense.

Last edited by Krazy Ken; 06-25-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 PM

The LS3 water pump wont work with the truck accessories if the truck mounting brakets are used. You have to use the corvette mounting bracket for the power steering and alternator. Also you will need the ls3 crank pulley. This is to keep the accessories all on the same plane. The one hitch in the plan is the AC compressor since it utilizes another belt. Hopefully it's just a compressor clutch swap away, but ill have to check up on it more.

Do you have any pics?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:49 PM

Figured I'd add this site too...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...mation-390967/

They have discovered that the Trailblazer SS 6.0 air conditioning compressor is nice and super short compared to conventional gm compressors!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM

I guess that means I will slowly start having to collect parts for my swap. I looked into the 700r4 today vs 4l60e being that they are the same except for the electronics and decided it would be easier to just get a stand alone harness with the connector and flashed ECU for the 4l60e.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM

At this point I'm either going with a th400 or a 4l80e. The former is waaaay cheaper, but the latter will get far better move with the OD.

Any updates MrArmyAnt?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-14-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap