Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

VW Diesel Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
Ya I think my RPMs will be high. I have 4:10's and 31" tires. But the VW diesel was designed with higher revs in mind so it will take it. Guys on the VW sites run T3 turbos with 20+ psi boost and hit well over 4500 rpm. I was thinking of trying to modify a Saturn Overdrive (made for jeeps) to drop my RPM's. The VW torque band is 2500-3000.
some of the 2wd toyotas used 8" diffs that are interchangable with the 4x4 and come in some higher ratios all the way up to 3.07. I am not sure which of the 2wd ratios were 8", but it would be worth finding then swapping some in.
EDIT: not sure if there would be anything available for the IFS gearing
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM

Question 2j forklift motor

Can anyone tell me anything about this 2j engine replacing a 22R the truck is a 5 speed two wheel drive the truck is a 87 model also any help would be great.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM

Well I have never heard of a 2j but there is a 2L. Its a 2.4L NA diesel. It will bolt to the same mounts as an R series and was available with a turbo as well which was called the 2LT. For the 2wd you will need the 2wd diesel tranny. I know there is an 82 2wd 5 speed diesel in Thunder Bay just sitting but it is the less powerful 1L.

Thought I might say as well that I finally got a bit of biodiesel in my truck and it purrs just perfectly. Little less smoke on startup as well. Never had any smoke with regular driving.

For the gear ratios 81 4x4s had 3.90 gearing. Don't know why they went to that as in 79 and 80 it was 4.37 and 82 went to 4.10. Haven't checked into whether or not you can get 7.5'' 3.90 gears yet but I don't see why not.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:03 AM

I was bored today so I thought I would make this list.

List of thing that need to happen to install a VW 1.9Turbo Diesel, IDI engine into a Toyota IFS truck.

- Toyota flywheel needs VW crank bolt pattern
- Adapter Plate for Toy trans to VW engine block
- Pilot bushing made of Oilite
- Engine Mounts, engine as low as you can go and still get the oil drain plug out.
- Adapter for coolent at back of engine head as not to hit fire wall
- Install remote oil filter assembly
- Spacer for power steering box
- New power steering line for VW pump banjo fitting to Toy box
- Remove washer fluid container to fit VW rad
- Adapter to change hose sizes on coolent lines from VW to Toyota
- 2 inch body lift
- Switch installed for in-tank pump (not really needed but the pump is there)
- Install VW fuel filter assembly
- Ford starter relay and a push button for glow plugs
- Install Toyota oil pressure sending unit where VW switch was
- Make adapter to fit Toyota temp sensor into VW coolent housing for guage.
- Exhaust piping
- Wire fuel cut off solenoid and fuel advance solenoid when key run position
- Install 90’s Honda Civic cold air intake
- T off vacuum pump for brake booster and A.D.D. solinoids
- Solder factory alternator wire to VW alternator wire.
- Wire in relay for VW electric fans

I think that is it. Pretty easy really………………………………

Last edited by Flash319; 05-01-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:59 PM

So any news? I've got some biodiesel in mine now. It seems to be liking it. I got my torque convertor lockup switch wired in as well so I can lock up at speeds under 80kms. Its handy for the long 60 zones and it helps with the cooling as well because the trans cooler is in the coolant in the rad. I'd really be interested in seeing your go. Really acctually would like to drive it haha. Anyways looking forward to some updates.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 PM

Well the progress is getting slow ($$). I Pulled it out of the garage today and took some pics. I have been putting all new brakes on the front and still have to do the back. I need to run a line to the back brakes then I will be able to drive it. While I was at it I put on some manual hubs.
I broke the crank breather at some point so oil is spraying out the side of the block when I run it, and I have a little coolent leak that I can't find. I will deal with it a bit later. have to stop at the wreckers and get the breather hose.

I bought some Tremclad flat black and am going to give that a go for the truck. You can see in the pics the Por15 I put on the spots that I know these trucks rust at. It runs very good now. Still need to do the exhaust but that will probebly be the last thing I do.

82yota, let me know if you are in the area and you can come check it out. Make sure you bring yours as I would like to see it.

Heres the pics.
Name:  DSCN0582.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  122.7 KB
Name:  DSCN0583.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  118.4 KB
Name:  DSCN0584.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  91.8 KB
Name:  DSCN0585.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  101.9 KB
Name:  DSCN0586.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  88.3 KB

Last edited by Flash319; 04-11-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Looks great!! I dream about diesel's but I need to kill me 22RE first.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM

Its looking very good. I'm trying to figure out where to go this weekend. I've got to get out of Sarnia. Might come up that way for a day this weekend but I'm not sure yet. I've been frantically trying to find access to a lathe for my final project but have yet to find someone who will let me use one. Tonight I was forced to use a spade bit to cut the center out of a 2 inch chunk of aluminum shafting. Tomorrow the fight will go on with the machine shop at the school but probably will not come to anything. Things due Friday. Anyways I may be thinking about taking a drive up there this weekend. Will see how things turn out in the next few days.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

seems strange to me that the school will not allow you to use the tools you need to complete a task they assigned you...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Yea it is strange. Today I went in there to simply use the lathe to bore out a piston of my stirling engine project and they had the student do it for me. Well he wrecked one of the pistons by drilling all the way through because he was guessing his depth rather than checking it. I taught him a few things while standing beside the lathe. He told the teacher that I knew my stuff and now they said that I might have a part time job there this coming fall. Go figure eh.

Anyways I've decided that I can't go anywhere this weekend other than to my desk and study. Too many exams and too little time. I shall hopefully get a chance to come see your diesel in the fall when I come back for school. Mine should be intercooled by then. Keep us all updated with pictures.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 AM

Sounds good. Let me know when you are coming by.

Well I got most of the exhaust done yesterday. At lease the hard part. I just need to get a muffler and straight back.

Name:  DSCN0635.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0636.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0637.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  39.3 KB
Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 AM

Flash: Awsome job. I have a 4B3.9 that will be going into a 95 PU eventually.
Regarding a muffler: I ran a 94 jetta with straight pipe right to the back for years with no adverse engine issues or excessive noise. Try the pipe without the muffler first. I think the turbo is a great muffler itself.
You may find the in cab noise form the engine is bad. I know the Cummins swap crowd do a lot to deaden the diesel noise. The stick on sound deadening stuff is the preferred. Check out the Cummins 4BT group on yahoo.
One last comment to all: try not to fill these build up thraeds with none related posts. Its ok to read a thread without commenting. (although the encouragement was appreciated I bet) Mike
Old 04-22-2008, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the words about hijacking.
I would just run straight pipe but I am worried that they won't let me pass the emission test without a muffler. The diesel test is a joke, no smoke for 2 minuits at idle, but I think they look to see whats on there and can fail for missing equipment. I may call and ask.

I had it running today with just the straight pipe and I liked it just like that. Also one less thing to rust.

I have yet to see a 4BT in a Yota. Seams way to big to fit in there.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

I think you'll find the muffler is mandatory Flash. Don't forget it's not just the drive clean wennies you need to worry about, the cops and MTO (local DOT) are running spot checks all the time now and lets face it a diesel Toyota is not normal around here (sadly) and will probably be "spot checked" at least a few times.

Around here if your vehicle is found missing smog equipment (like mufflers etc.) or has suspect mods they can impound your vehicle as "unsafe/illegal" on the spot and they will pull the plates off it, if they are in a bad mood they can even brand it on the spot as a "wreck" and then you are SOL forever.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
I have yet to see a 4BT in a Yota. Seams way to big to fit in there.
It's not just a tall engine; it has about 705lbs of weight to go with that height.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 AM

Wow I am putting a muffler then. Such BS though. Damn government.

I checked out some of those 4BT sites and some of those guys are nuts. I don't see any benefit to putting a 4BT in a Yota. Way to heavy and milage would not be good. Guys are putting them in Full size trucks, I see the point in that.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah i know what you mean...
York cops are particularly nasty about some of that mod stuff because of all the street racing punks using the roads as drag strips, that and Fantino has the idea he's going to "clean-up the roads" too.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 PM

I don't know if you would need a muffler or not. The muffler does nothing for emissions. Now not having a Cat I could see. Not sure how loud yours is but I know mine isn't any louder than a dual exhaust V8 car or truck when they get on it. I've gone by many cops and none have ever said anything to me. I've gone through customs many times as well and they don't say anything. Sometimes though it would be nice to have a muffler. You could ask your local police dept what the highest db allowed is and go by that.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:35 PM

The MTO db limit is like 85 or around there, very low. This does not get enforced, just look at all the Harley kids with the "sound loud so it must be fast" bikes.
The emission test is sopose to check for a proper exhaust system, whatever that means, so I would suspect the muffler should be there. The engine is not loud at all with no muffler. Ya sounds like a normal V8 with mufflers, except you get some turbo whine mixed in.

I am going to put on a nice cheap one for now. Depending on how I register it I may not have to do emmision tests anymore.
|
|
|

Last edited by Flash319; 04-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I heard once you put a new non-standard enrine in it is considered a "hot-rod" and they can't apply the build year emmisions standards anymore because... we.. they can't tell which to apply...

Quick Reply: VW Diesel Build Up