Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

Help me finish this diesel swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me finish this diesel swap

ok, so I have some more unique issues that I have been receiving conflicting answers for from all sides.

the back story: been crunching the numbers on a TDI swap for years, finally decided it would be too expensive (mostly because I couldn't do any of the work myself) so I talked myself out of it.
a few weeks later I find this gem on craigslist:

87 extra cab with a mitsubishi 4d55t, a 2.3L 4cyl turbo diesel out of a mightymax (or D50, or ranger). drove 3 hours after a 12 hour work shift to buy it, only got 4 hours of sleep for the next work day but totally worth it.

guy did a good swap, no complaints. but there is one tiny little problem:

the mitsu t-case is driver side and the yota front diff is passenger side.

so I've been asking around and no one can give me a conclusive answer. the guy I bought it from said to do a stock yota SAS and "just swap the diff over." Is that even possible? he implied welding would be involved. other guys have told me to do a toyota tranny swap. or swap t-cases.
a few guys have told me to find axles with driver side diffs (everything from wagoneer to nissan axles have been recommended).
what is my best bet? what is my cheapest bet?
vote now:

SAS toyota
SAS other
tranny swap
t-case swap

thanks for the help, I really want 4x4 before winter hits, I'd like to take this beast up in the snow.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Ford d44 maybe? With a knuckle swap to chevy 6 lug?
Dunno, maybe do an adapter plate and adapt the toyota trans and xfer to it?
Or maybe make an adapter plate and adapt an unmarried Dana 2o or np205 or something to it..
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
Ford d44 maybe? With a knuckle swap to chevy 6 lug?
Dunno, maybe do an adapter plate and adapt the toyota trans and xfer to it?
Or maybe make an adapter plate and adapt an unmarried Dana 2o or np205 or something to it..

I think you mostly just repeated my options...I've had all of those suggested to me but I don't know which one is best...

currently I am looking at getting a jeep cherokee front axle (less then $200). is there any major problems with this? I know it's not beefy by anyone's definition, but I will never run bigger then 31's on it.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 PM

either that jeep dana 30 or a passenger drop dana 44 with lock out hubs from a narrow width truck (google to find one)
Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by pyrojoe22
either that jeep dana 30 or a passenger drop dana 44 with lock out hubs from a narrow width truck (google to find one)

I need a driver drop axle but yes, I have been looking at dana 44s but I can't seem to find one in 4.10, so I think that leaves me withe the 30.

if there was a narrow, driver drop, 4.10 dana 44 I'd love to know about it.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Does it have the mitsubishi transmission and transfercase? I'm guessing yes, which is why I see an odd looking front output shaft.

I think the cheapest option would be a transmission/ transfercase swap.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
Does it have the mitsubishi transmission and transfercase? I'm guessing yes, which is why I see an odd looking front output shaft.

I think the cheapest option would be a transmission/ transfercase swap.
yes it does, which is the entirety of my problem.

how would I go about doing this? I cannot find a local shop (I live in corvallis, OR) that makes adapters and I have not found anyone else who has done that swap. I am in no position to make a tranny adapter myself and don't know anyone I trust enough to do it themselves.

the other challenge to overcome would be to move the exhaust out of the way of the transfer case, as cool as a hood stack might be I don't know if it is the best for performance.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 AM

since you have an x-cab you should have enough driveshaft lenght to use a 2wd trans. and a divorce mount toyota t-case conversion. or a pre hardbody nissan conversion.
If using a mitsu trans it should not matter gas or diesel.
Also, Ford ranger turbodiesel used the same engine with whatever trans ford was using at the time (mazda or mitsu) may be able to find an adapter for one of those trans, although they are probably pretty hard to come by (only like 7 or 8hundred made) I like the toyota divorce mount idea the best. here is a link to one http://www.ottindustries.com/divorcetoyota.htm
Old 02-15-2012, 07:01 PM

check out this link http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/atl...ng-p-5485.html they can make the output on aether side
Old 12-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am researching this swap for my 1990 pickup.

Could someone clue me in on what exactly would be involved? I am also researching the TDI swap, but was told the Mitsubishi would be cheaper, and easier: i.e., a drop in fit. Feel free to debunk my story haha!