Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

which diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which diesel?

hi guys, here's the short version.
i've been reading about the different diesel swaps that have been done, VW, 4BT, mercedes, and a few others, what is the difference in the motors? do they have their own strengths and weaknesses? i haven't seen anybody discussing them.
i searched and didn't find anything.

long version.

i own a 1995.5 tacoma 5 lug, 2.4, 5spd, extra cab, that needs the motor rebuilt, it's also a pretty weak(power wise, not durability) motor for a truck with a 3'' lift.
i currently live in CA but we plan to move to Mississippi in under 2 years, and i was telling dad about the new dodge 1500 that has the v6 diesel in it and he got this look in his eyes and i knew what he was thinking, diesel swap.
so i started looking on here, then i thought SAS, so i googled it and sure enough this is what i found http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...d-4wd-sas.html
i really like the way the truck turned out, and i want my truck to be like it.

here's a little background on
myself: i'm 16, was homeschooled al my life, and i'm currently working on a high school exit exam to start college to become either a HDET (heavy duty equipment technician) or a marine mechanic.

dad: he's been a mechanic on the waterfront for 24 years and him and my grandpa owned a 'dozer business when he was 15, he also did all the mechanic work on his 'dozer.

anyway, this is a very informative forum.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 PM

I don't think a 4bt has be put into a Toyota yet. Mercedes is by no means a power house infact I don't think from my research it will have alot more then a fresh built 2rz or for my power you could swap in a simple 3rz. Vw seems impressive but don't think of many being done. Just start thumbing thru all the diesel swaps and gather what info you can. Maybe trying something new like the 4bt that would be super impressive.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 PM

ok, i'll keep digging
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Vw is expensive and not a very robust engine and you will have to deal with wiring,but you can get good mpg with it. The4bt wieghs a lot, is rough and limited rev range and isnt cheap and you will definitely be doing some serious cutting to get it in, but is capable of some serious torque and is pretty much bullet proof. The Mercedes is cheap, revs high, smoothe running and unlike the guys who have read about power, I have actually get reliable hp from them and it doesnt cost anything. You will still have to cut you x member, they are hard to find with low mi, so you will need to do maintenance and like the cummins, they are old technology, but that isn't such a bad thing.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here is a kubota swapped in a tj. more robust than automotive power plants and timing gears instead of belt or chain.

in my opinion i would use the isuzu 3.9 instead of the cummins. its the same displacement but physically smaller and cheaper to buy. or if you want to go the industrial route the kubota 2.4 di turbo or the 3307 3.3 liter with a turbo if you can find a di one with piston cooling nozzles

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...ht=kubota+swap

Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
here is a kubota swapped in a tj. more robust than automotive power plants and timing gears instead of belt or chain.

in my opinion i would use the isuzu 3.9 instead of the cummins. its the same displacement but physically smaller and cheaper to buy. or if you want to go the industrial route the kubota 2.4 di turbo or the 3307 3.3 liter with a turbo if you can find a di one with piston cooling nozzles

The problem with the tractor motors is that they too have low redlines and the pumps aren't designed for random throttle settings, as soon as it sees a load, it will give it full throttle to maintain its set rpm, not so fun on the street when you rearend the car in front of you. It all depends on what you want to do with it, if I was gonna till my garden with my truck, I would go kubota all the way.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
most newer kubota especially the di ones or bobcat engines governor only fuels to throttle position. plus if you have a normal one a stiff ass sping on the gov will negate the effect. i work on these little motors for a my job and the people that have swapped them love them. look at 4bt swaps at the ranger and tj that are kubota swapped. the videos posted will give you a hint at the driveability. you could use a yanmar or perking with a ve pump swap
Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll do some research on the Kubota option and the Isuzu option.
I forgot to mention, I would like go keep it driveable so I don't have to trailer it to where we hunt and other places