Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

Complete manual for swapping OM617 into 4Runner

Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Complete manual for swapping OM617 into 4Runner

Ok, I know there are a lot of variables between different versions of 4runners and the OM617, but my objective is to make one single resource for all the typical issues that arise doing this swap. After a lot of thinking, I decided to use a google document for this project. I started the document for the machine shop performing my swap. No, I"m not a mechanic. Hate me if you wish. I just do body work, so I have to hire a mechanic.

Anyway, I will provide the link below. You may or may not be familiar with google drive, but anyone can leave comments. If you have done a swap, let me know, and I'll make you an editor. I just want to make the most complete document possible so future projects can avoid unnecessary headaches and expenses that the rest of us have experienced.

Here is the link to the document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 01-04-2014, 01:34 AM

FYI,
This document is just a head start. I'm in no way suggesting it is complete. There are many sections that need to be added to. That's why I'm posting this, because I need your help. When all the issues are more or less completed, I will try to arrange all the topics into a step by step instruction manual. But as you can imagine, that will take some time. Don't hold your breath, but I think this is overall a good idea that will help out future generations. We all know petrol will eventually run out. Bio-diesel will be in huge demand. 4Runners and OM617 are far more available and reliable than any other midsize diesel combination. Let's figure out how to make the most of what we have while we still can at least document it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey this is a great start and very useful collection of information as I'm slowly planning my own swap. I'll try to contribute when and where I can.

I gather you bought the full kit from TDSwaps - and are doing this because there's now limited support. Do you even know if a TDSwaps kit is even still available? You may want to document your car's base config (3.0 w/ R150?) as well as exactly what TDSwaps kit has, what required modification, etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've got my build thread linked in my signature. It covers my particular situation. I didn't think about the difference between the transmissions, but really the only difference is that you have to move the r150 back about 4 inches or so. Check out my build thread and then let me know what else you have questions about.

Regarding TDswaps, when I spoke to Brian on the phone, he told me he had the v6 swap kit in stock and could ship the same week. It took 2 months to get all the parts. I'm not a mechanic (I do wish I had that skill, but I'm a bodyshop guy), so all I can tell you is that my mechanic said not all of the belts and hoses that Brian sent will actually work. Also the notched oil pan wasn't notched back enough to clear the tie rods (steering rods... whatever... sorry, like I said, I'm not a mechanic). I will have to re-mod the oil pan and cut off the oil intake and turn it around to face the front. A forum member called Dmarsh documented that very well, and it's in my online google doc for everyone here to comment on, if they want to.

One other issue was that Brian promised me he would provide instructions (so I wouldn't have to pay the actual mechanic $75/hour to scratch his head and figure this stuff out), but he is completely AWOL. He will not respond to calls, texts, or emails. I spent almost $2k on his complete kit because I wanted the job done efficiently (and before I had to leave the country for work). Brian was extremely nice and helpful when we spoke on the phone, but in retrospect, I could have come out ahead (time and money wise) by just having my machine shop make the parts correctly. I wasted several hundred dollars on his kit, and I don't even think the adapter plate is precise. I've spoken to two other forum members that blew their tranny cause of the imprecise alignment of his adapter plate. This conversion has been done so many times by now, it should go like clockwork (which is the point of the document I've created, to help others wanting to do the swap, but without spending days on end reading hundreds of pages of internet forums). I'm really disappointed in my purchase from TDswaps.

Ok, it's 2am here in Australia (I'm working here for a couple months), so I've got to hit the sack. Keep in touch. I'll be more than happy to help however I can.

Last edited by Circle; 01-09-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Circle,
I have a tremendous amount of information that I collected when doing my swap. I don't really have time to modify it to fit into your document, but I would be happy to email it to you if you PM me your address. It is not in the prettiest of formats, so you might have questions which I will be happy to try and answer.

Jay
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 AM

good idea to start something like this, all i know is that my swap would have been so much harder and a huge PITA without info from this forum.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

As I've stated before, I'm not a mechanic. I wish I had the skills, but I don't have that or the time. Unfortunately, the machine shop I've hired for this swap is not very... tech savvy. The receptionist doesn't even know who to reply to an email. So it has been very difficult for me to communicate to them the information they need to perform this swap.

So if most of the major issues have been addressed, and we just collect and polish the info a bit, surely it wouldn't be too hard to create instructions which most mechanics would be able to repeat the process. I would even be willing to share specific cost information (parts and labor hours for various parts and aspects of the project), for those considering this swap. If anyone was interested in that. It wouldn't be perfect, but a baseline to use as a guide. Jaykray, I'll pm you that address.

Last edited by Circle; 01-17-2014 at 04:41 AM.