Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

Can I use diesel in my stock gas fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use diesel in my stock gas fuel system?

My truck is a 1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4 with the 22R carb gas engine. I'm planning on doing a diesel conversion, and would like to know what I need to change in my fuel system.

Do I need to replace my:

Fuel Tank?
Fuel Lines?
Fuel Pump?
Fuel Filter?
Fuel Tank Level Sending Unit?

I would like to keep as much stuff stock as possible. I know I'll need to get a bigger filler cap for the diesel pumps, and I'm guessing I'll need a different filter and pump. Would a FASS lift pump work? I'm planning on re-positioning my fuel tank as soon as possible for the simple reason that that is where the frame will rust first on these trucks since the tank is too close to the frame.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM

I think to answer your question completely, we would have to know what engine your swapping in. I can try to help with my experience from my OM617 swap.

The short answer I used all the stock stuff with the diesel swap. I used the lift pump that was on the side of the engine block as well as the fuel filter. All of the stock toyota fuel system works just fine with diesel so far as well.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM

AWESOME AWESOME!! Ya I figured I should have mentioned it, I plan to run either a 4BT or a VW 1.6 or 1.9. I just haven't gotten sufficient enough info yet to really decide on an engine. The 4BT is perfect in every aspect, gearing, sound, low end torque, except for size and weight. I have no idea what power the VW's have, what their power band's are, what gears I would need to run with 37's, or how they would sound. I'm trying to get away from my gay 22R 4-banger sound. I know that probably sounds dumb, to swap an engine for sound, which I'm not, I just don't want something that sounds bad. Mechanical injection is a must! I don't have a computer now, and I sure as heck don't want one!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

IMO I would think the VW diesel would be better than the 4bt. I have looked around for the 4bts and they are somewhat spendy if you can find them not to mention they shake like crazy. The VW one just seems to be a better fit size, weight, and power wise. You should just look on youtube if you want to hear how one sounds, couple of them running around. Yeah I wanted mechanical fuel injection as well thats why I went with the OM617, its cheap, plentiful, one of the most reliable engines ever made.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Ya, I'm thinking VW, too. I just can't find them anywhere. I've already found 3 4bt's from $1500-$2000 from a guy who all he does is find em, go through em, and sell them. The other reason I'd like one, is because our tractor has the 4.5L bored out version, so I'd know how to work on it, as well as the one in my truck. What does a VW cost? And is the 1.6 or 1.9 better? Because I see more 1.6's than anything
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM

But as far as fuel goes, your lines haven't or won't corrode and they're big enough for the fuel demands of the diesel engine? And the tank won't suffer from having diesel in it? I'm just mystified as to how the stock gas fuel pump would pump diesel. I would think they'd be different.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:31 PM

I dont know much about the VWs but there are some builds you could research. Yeah the fuel lines seem to be big enough and I dont see why they would have any problems with them unless you have water in your fuel.

I'm just mystified as to how the stock gas fuel pump would pump diesel. I would think they'd be different.
They might, but my diesel had a mechanical fuel pump on the side of the block. Don't know about the 4bt or the VW.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 AM

I put a 1kz-te diesel into my 92 pickup that used to have the V6. You would want to take the electric pump out of the tank and just put a suction tube to the bottom of the tank for a pickup as you don't need an intank pump. The return line should be fine and the feed line should be fine as well. I never changed the lines on mine. The injection pump is the fuel pump on my diesel and it works just fine. The diesel wont hurt the lines and will probably keep them in better shape than gas. Ever seen a bushworkers pickup with a skidtank in the back? The box is usually pretty good shape where the fuel spills but the rest is rusted out. Fuel oil kelps keep things in better shape.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 PM

i love yota tech. there is just so much information on this web site
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DO NOT GET A TOYOTA DIESEL IF YOU WANT SOUND...
my toyota diesel motor especially with the turbo is VERY QUITE.. you can hardly tell my truck is a diesel just sounds like a gas motor with a little knock...