Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

Any information greatly needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any information greatly needed

Ok here is the story I had a stock 87 4x4 with a bad oil leak replaced pan gasket fixed the leak but gained a slight knock the 3 or 4 min of running while attempting to diagram the knock and POW!!!! Now a have this nice little softball size hole in the block. We'll I always wanted to convert to diesel so what better time than now. So this has brought me to the form. I have read all night and have found tons of info but no answers to any of my questions so ill start by describing what I am wantin and my questions and hopefully start this build after I duck hunt on Black Friday.

What I would like to have is something with some more power than the 22r. That also has some top end since I will drive this truck every day. But still get me off the beaten trail cause I do a lot of hunting. I'd like to find an engine that will also roll a little coal smoke too.

I have thought about it and am leaning on a mechanical diesel so I don't have to fight with all the wiring. I don't see mounting the engine to big a deal but I am very worried about bolting up to my trans. Any help would be outstanding thanks guys.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
google "yotatech diesel swap"

You owe me $.50
Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 PM

There's a lot of ways you could go Toyota VW or Mercedes diesel. Each has their own good and bad points. The only personal experience I have with any of them is the Mercedes OM 617. Mine has a little more power than a 22r Pump upgrades r sketchy,I think I'm going to run propane on mine To add extra fuel And keep my exhaust gas temperature down. Good luck on your future build.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:46 PM

This might be a little dumb but what causes the egt problem. If there is no problem when the engine is in the merc?

I keep seeing 56w trans, which trucks did these come in, how do I find out if mine is?

I think I was sold on a om617 by pyrojoe build but after I seen the problems he had later I am unsure again.

I just want a dd that has what it takes to get up the mountain during hunting season. So I was thinks stock drive train, 33" rubber, and the om617 just because I don't want to fight with wiring and ecms.

I should also mention I am not made of money so cost effectiveness is of great importance.

I'm still not past finding a 4 cylinder diesel so I have some more room but I'm worried to death about this adapter plat pilot bushin....ect
Old 11-24-2013, 10:59 AM

Hi exhaust gas temperatures are brought on by a extra boost and fuel. In stock configuration you should have no problem with exhaust gas temperatures only if you turn the pump up. And increase the boost pressure. When you add propane injection you did not raise exhaust gas temperature is that much Even with increase boost Pressure. As for your adapters I would go to 4 X 4 labs. They have a flywheel with the pilot bearing adapter already included in it. And from what I've heard their stuff seems to run pretty true. I went with Tdswaps in was not impressed. It was cheaper but I got what I paid for. The w56 came behind the 22re. .With a 22r you usually have A G series tranny. And a v6 has a r series tranny. For what you're talking about a stock OM 617 should do you just fine.

Last edited by waltt; 11-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by waltt
Hi exhaust gas temperatures are brought on by a extra boost and fuel. In stock configuration you should have no problem with exhaust gas temperatures only if you turn the pump up. And increase the boost pressure. When you add propane injection you did not raise exhaust gas temperature is that much Even with increase boost Pressure. As for your adapters I would go to 4 X 4 labs. They have a flywheel with the pilot bearing adapter already included in it. And from what I've heard their stuff seems to run pretty true. I went with Tdswaps in was not impressed. It was cheaper but I got what I paid for. The w56 came behind the 22re. .With a 22r you usually have A G series tranny. And a v6 has a r series tranny. For what you're talking about a stock OM 617 should do you just fine.
I looked today and 4x4labs is less money and Tdswaps comes with what appears to be everything needed besides engine and trany and 4x4labs is half cost but only adapter plate and flywheel.

One more thing all of the om617 I have seen in the yotas are crammed in while the rid and 4bt have tons of room, and sound to me like if people are having to dump the fuel to them that the om617 is underpowered. I don't know much about todo or 4bt but I have read tdis getting 300-500hp, and if the 4bt is anything close to other cummins power is endless and most the way stock internals like the 5.9s isx and n14.

I'm thinkin myself in circles I don't know what to do
Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 PM

I forgot to add inter cooler is pretty important to me I know how much better they run with them but room is an issue with the 617 anyway much less adding an ic
Old 11-25-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be aware if you go with tdswaps... the owner is disabled and well behind on his promised delivery schedule. He may tell you a couple weeks on his website, or on his facebook page; but there are a lot of us who have been waiting months for a kit.

If you need your parts now, go to 4x4 labs and be prepared to do some DIY on hoses and whatnot.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM

I'm gonna do a wrx style intercooler mounted above the valve cover. it is a tight fit with the om617. As for the 4bt ur gonna break a lot of ˟˟˟˟, and its gonna b heavy. vw tdi is a slick little engine. capable of a bunch of power. but there more spendy to buy then the om617 from my experience. Hope this helps u out
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by waltt
I'm gonna do a wrx style intercooler mounted above the valve cover. it is a tight fit with the om617. As for the 4bt ur gonna break a lot of ˟˟˟˟, and its gonna b heavy. vw tdi is a slick little engine. capable of a bunch of power. but there more spendy to buy then the om617 from my experience. Hope this helps u out
No more than $200 at the salvage yard for any engine