All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Swap to Turbo Supra Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swap to Turbo Supra Motor?

I have a 1997 4runner 3.4 and I'm in love with it but the 180hp ain't cuttin it. I don't want to get rid off it. I was thinkin of the 2JZ-TTE Supra engine to swap. I found one with a tranny for $1900 and how much would you estimate a complete swap would be?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You doing all the work yourself?

What about ECU and electronics??
Old 09-10-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ballinizme
I have a 1997 4runner 3.4 and I'm in love with it but the 180hp ain't cuttin it. I don't want to get rid off it. I was thinkin of the 2JZ-TTE Supra engine to swap. I found one with a tranny for $1900 and how much would you estimate a complete swap would be?
Just my 2 cents, but swapping a TRD supercharger onto your existing 3.4 will be way, way, way easier and cheaper than what you're contemplating. Your swap will more than likely be illegal, as well, as you'll be violating whatever emissions laws apply in your area, if any.

Good luck, whichever path you take.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Check this website out:

http://www.supratrucks.com/S-Runner%202JZGTE.htm

This tacoma is very similar to what you attempting to do; but also remarkable after the product is finished and completed. Good luck!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks I will totally not b doin the work myself I do live in texas I don't think they check emmissions
Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Just my 2 cents, but swapping a TRD supercharger onto your existing 3.4 will be way, way, way easier and cheaper than what you're contemplating. Your swap will more than likely be illegal, as well, as you'll be violating whatever emissions laws apply in your area, if any.

Good luck, whichever path you take.
Thanks but i look at the supercharger idea but it isn't that appealing from the mods i've looked at that you have to do to make it run to spec like 7injector etc... I have also thought about that sts turbo kit?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks I will totally not b doin the work myself I do live in texas I don't think they check emmissions
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/...1&ch=114&rl=20
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 PM

bro trust me im not knockin what you are sayin about emissions but I payed $14 at a gas station and passed with a broken horn and my right tail light out.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 PM

bro trust me im not knockin what you are sayin about emissions but I payed $14 at a gas station and passed with a broken horn and my right tail light out.
What I'm saying is that, unless your engine is from a vehicle as new or newer than the one your swapping into, you are violating state and federal laws and could be subject to fines. Will you get caught? Probably not. Do I want to get caught violating emissions laws with the current environmentally concious landscape? Probably not.

It will make it practically impossible to re-sell later on. If you do manage to find a buyer, you're going to take a huge hit on value. I know, you plan on keeping it forever and ever...

The supercharger keeps you legit, costs less in the long run, will be easier, and can put out decent power (just check anyone who's modded their supercharged trucks).

But if you're devoted to the idea of the Supra motor, go ahead. I just wish to inform.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Contributing Member

You also need to address the possible failure of associated driveline parts when hooked up to the motor and tranny since Toyota didn't design the driveline and rearend for stresses of high horsepower so I'd stick with the stock 320hp and not go pumping up the PSI of the turbos.

This swap has been done by somebody on here but I think he ran into issues and gave up on the project since I never saw any results or even think it really hit the road.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
You also need to address the possible failure of associated driveline parts when hooked up to the motor and tranny since Toyota didn't design the driveline and rearend for stresses of high horsepower so I'd stick with the stock 320hp and not go pumping up the PSI of the turbos.

This swap has been done by somebody on here but I think he ran into issues and gave up on the project since I never saw any results or even think it really hit the road.
if its strong enough for 35's i think it could handle some hp
Old 09-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds like a bad idea to attempt a swap like this if you aint doing the work yourself and Ide say that to everyone. Unless your loaded $$$ or have some friends that aint gonna charge you much. I can see this being a very big project posibly very badass or very frustrating for you.

How old are you?? to were you dont know if they do emmisions or not. I once heard a women say that she didnt know that each state had multiple zip codes and she was like 40. Im hoping your younger than that with a comment like that

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 09-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM

i once saw a guy at a local store with his 4runner that had a 350 corvette motor in it. My jaws dropped when i saw that thing go.

best of luck to you if you're really doing the swap, please post a vid once it's complete.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Unless your loaded $$$
i think he as loaded with money cash from selling rap recordz
Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM

uh if you wanna see the amount of work that goes into swapping in a 2jz... find the guy on pirate swapping a 2jz into his runner. if it wasnt for his incredible fab work... it wouldnt happen. realy though... go find it.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:52 AM
User Requested Ban

Wow, you guys need to do some more research.

Go good 2jz in pirate. You'll see multiple trucks completed by Idaho-Speed. They offered motor mount and trans mount kits.

Youtube 2jz truck and find a few drag racing.

Motor mounts are the same 'I hear'. But I just started researching this swap yesterday.

$1500 for 35k-45k motor and auto tranny from Japan, compared to $2500 for the 2l-t I wanted to do which is direct drop in.

I think i'll spend $1000 less on a motor and get 200+ more hp.

Last edited by theAuthority; 10-13-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
User Requested Ban

Originally Posted by RobD
What I'm saying is that, unless your engine is from a vehicle as new or newer than the one your swapping into, you are violating state and federal laws and could be subject to fines. Will you get caught? Probably not. Do I want to get caught violating emissions laws with the current environmentally concious landscape? Probably not.

It will make it practically impossible to re-sell later on. If you do manage to find a buyer, you're going to take a huge hit on value. I know, you plan on keeping it forever and ever...

The supercharger keeps you legit, costs less in the long run, will be easier, and can put out decent power (just check anyone who's modded their supercharged trucks).

But if you're devoted to the idea of the Supra motor, go ahead. I just wish to inform.
Re-sell won't go down. You just specify who you're selling to. "Legit or Legal is a state of fear people live in".

I just emissioned my 1988 Jeep Wrangler with a 1980 chevy 350. We have state run emissions centers and it says right on my PASS sheet that it has a 5.7 liter carbed. They passed me even though they know I was running a 'configuration' not certified by the EPA. Basically because my chassis did not come with a 5.7l option.

There are no 'fines or criminal time' for doing these swaps, in some states (like california) they will just deny you registration.

Many states also have statutes or regulations prohibiting tampering in general. Most of these laws specifically prohibit tampering by individuals. A few specifically prohibit engine switching, using provisions similar to those stated in EPA's policy. To determine the state law in any given state, the state's Attorney General's office should be contacted. In addition, many states have state or local
antitampering inspection programs which require a periodic inspection of vehicles in that area, to determine the integrity of emission control systems. Many programs have established policies for vehicles which have been engine switched. While EPA does not require these programs to fail engine switched vehicles which are not in compliance with federal policy, the Agency does strongly recommend that these programs set their requirements so as to be consistent with the federal law. State or local programs which pass illegally engine switched vehicles may mislead federally regulated parties into believing that engine switching is allowed by federal law.

Source: http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg00355.html
Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 PM

well i just bought a supra motor for my truck and i do not really care about wheather or not it will pass the emissions and i know when the motor is fully built and ready to be installed it will be well worth it