I've got a 1989 4x4 Pickup...
I'm pretty tired of my 22RE it's weak and it seems to just have problem after problem related to the age of the tech. I've made up my mind I'm going to do a 3RZ swap. (this isn't my first swap, I've got an LS1 in my 95 240sx... so I'm no stranger to the kinds of stuff involved)
I've done a bunch of research and searching already... I'm really just looking for confirmation and a little clarification before I start dropping money on this stuff.
1. I really want one with individual coil packs per cylinder... Am I correct in assuming that I'll need to source the motor from a 2000+ Tacoma/4Runner?
2. I believe I've got a W56 transmission currently, I've heard that I can replace the bell housing with one from a W59 and that will allow the 3RZ to bolt up to my W56... is this correct?
3. Also is there anything else I'd have to change on the transmission? I'd imagine I use the appropriate flywheel/clutch and throw out bearing for a W59 but retain the slave and fork from the W56 is this a correct assumption? Is there anything else transmission related I'd need to worry about?
4. I've heard some people claim that you you need to use an oil pan from a T100 to improve the clearance with the front axle. Currently I'm IFS but I've got a 4" skyjacker drop kit on it along with a 3" body lift... I'd suspect that clearance wont be an issue no matter what I use but it'd be nice to have some confirmation.
5. I've found these conversion mounts: http://www.chilkatdesigns.com/Heavy-...or-Mounts.html
(which is great because I don't have a welder) i was curious if these would effect the engine placement at all... my concern is if it would shift the transmission/transfer case such that I'd need to modify everything related to those in order to use these mounts....
6. Air Conditioning... anyone swap that too? I'm curious if the original lines (or even the original compressor) from the 22RE will work, or if I'll have to get custom lines made.
7. Does anyone make a cross-over exhaust pipe for this swap? As I said, I don't have a welder so being able to buy something that bolts up will make my life easier, if not I can always throw a turn-down on the header and dodge cops as I drive to the exhaust shop to have one made... not that big a deal.
8. I realize wiring will have to be customized as well as PS lines, Fuel Lines, Radiator and Heater Lines. Is there any other aspect of this swap I'm leaving out?... any big things I should be considering before jumping into this?
9. Any recommendations for good places to source the motor, ebay seems to want $2K+ for just long blocks which seems BS to me... I'd be happy with a 60K mile pull out as long as it's got all the wiring and accessories I need. I plan on calling some local scrap yards once I have some answers for the above... I wouldn't mind other suggestions though.
If you're still reading this thanks!
I would be very grateful for any information or feedback you could provide!