All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

black89t's 7mgte swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black89t's 7mgte swap

so im new to this forum but not new to wrenching thats for sure. i've mainly been focused on my mk3 supra but still do some mobbing in the winter with whatever i can get my hands on lol! the last rig was a 86 pathfinder. it was pretty impressive for being stock. about a month ago a local supra owner crashed his car 90 miles north. he gave me an offer i couldn't refuse. he said if i go get the car from the tow yard its mine for FREE. two days later i trailered the car to my house lol! i ended up giving him 100 bucks for it cuz i felt like i needed to give him something. he just lost his baby. the car was pretty smashed up, the radiator was slammed against the fan, two of the wheels were cracked, one completely tore off with the hub, it did a number on the car thats for sure.

the day after i got the car home i wanted to get it running so i chopped the front of the car off. the sawzall took care of that great. with the bumper, radiator, and core support gone the engine was free to spin. to get it going all i had to do was duct tape the air flow meter to the 3000 pipe and she was golden hahahah! it fired right up! didn't make any knocking noises. i was stoked. the next day i pulled the engine so i could start selling parts off the car. sure was easy with the whole front of the car gone. then i ended up going to chico to party for halloween so things got put on hold. all i can say is that place is the best! so many hot girls!!!!! its like heaven LOL!!!

so my plan with this engine is to put it in a 86-92 pickup. if i don't find a pickup i'll settle for a runner. the reason i want i a pickup is because they are fairly lighter. its purpose will be to spray mud and put people to shame in the quarter at the same time lol. gonna make it as light as possible. it should be fun. the previous owner did the hg and has been driving on it for a while. i didn't see any signs of it leaking. i'm gonna get the engine on the stand and pull the pan to shim the oil pump and take a look at things. really though i don't want to put much into it. its gonna be a thrasher.

at this point i don't have a truck yet. just been selling parts off the car on supraforums and supramania. still looking on craigslist and in the paper. any input like possible problems i might run into would be great. im very familiar with the 7mgte. i have built a handful of them including the one in my supra. heres a vid of it running and some pics of the donor car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XnYMzawFeA

Last edited by vital22re; 12-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 PM

sweet man! I just got done puting a 7mge in my toyota pickup! Love the new power!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

AWESOME... I was just looking at the 7mge as a possible swap and this thread would help me tremendously... its a tight fit....any idea on location mods that need to be done?...engine height going to be a problem? length?

Last edited by DIRT CLOD; 12-02-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: SUBSCRIBED
Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 7mgte stuffed into my 85 pickup. I didn't do the original swap myself but bought it needing a rebuild because the guy who fixed the bhg was dumb. His lack of attention to detail was amazing and was eventually the down fall of the engine. Its a very tight fit in the engine compartment. You can throw the stock fan in the "parts to sell" bin. My fire wall looks like it was hit a few times with some motivation on a stick. And my rad support was cut out, a custom support was fabbed for the larger Griffin rad, then attatched a few inches forward of the stock location with an electric fan strapped to the back. That gives me about 1/2 an inch of clearance between my fan guard and the balancer. With no body lift, the engine would fit under the stock hood on my 85. I have an hks Blow off valve attatched to my intercooler that sticks up 3-4 inches above the cooler and hit the hood I work in a body shop so I cut a scoop off an old tacoma hood and placed it so I have enough clearance. Looks bad-ass and also helps decrease the underhood temperature. I can't hlep with what mounts or bell housing were used as I didn't do that part. Also seeing as its an ifs truck you'll need a different oil pan. Or SAS it and keep the original pan. Check out supracharged.com. Should have pretty much anything you need to know. I still have the stock drivetrain in my truck so I have to be careful with the skinny pedal. I don't want to start twisting my driveshafts into pretzels. Pictures can be arranged but I have no idea how to load them into a thread.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 12-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:26 PM

sorry for the lack of an update but there just hasn't been much news till now. i had been looking everywhere for a truck to start with and things weren't looking to good. then my mom spotted this little pickup for sale right by her house. its a 1990 ext cab 2wd. i check it out that day. it looked decent. the body is a little rough, inteeriors in pretty dam good shape, it does have salvage title but i dont mind. oh it has a clarion deck in it too. im stoked its just what i'm looking for other than it wasn't 4wd. i drove it and everything seemed fine. then i ask the guy what he wanted for it and he said 500. i couldnt believe it! out here people usually charge crazy prices for any older toyota pickup. i bought it right away and have been driving it around. heres some pics...

so my plan is i'm not messing with 4wd. just gonna use the r154 supra tranny. and since the chassie is a 22re i can use the 5m mounts right? also im hoping i can use 4wd suspension on the 2wd chassie to lift it some? is that even possible? im gonna drive it till i get everything i need then start the swap. i hope i did mess up not getting a 4wd chassie to begin with...

Last edited by vital22re; 12-10-2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: language
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truck looks real clean. Sounds like a steal for $500! Whats it leaking? I believe what you have there is the perfect sleeper rig. Modify the 7m a bit to push 400ish hp, stuff it and the drive train in,then put 500lbs of sandbags in the box and go race people for gas money! But you have to leave the canopy on for that added effect.

Last edited by nothingbetter; 12-06-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM

yes you can use the 5m engine mounts! You might have to play around with a few different oil pans or make your own! I have seen a few two wheel drives converted into 4wd! Anything can be done! If you need a helping hand over the net hit me up, I just helped another guy out with some of his wiring.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
The truck looks real clean. Sounds like a steal for $500! Whats it leaking? I believe what you have there is the perfect sleeper rig. Modify the 7m a bit to push 400ish hp, stuff it and the drive train in,then put 500lbs of sandbags in the box and go race people for gas money! But you have to leave the canopy on for that added effect.
yeah thats the plan! i think its oil thats leaking on the 22re but i don't really care.

Originally Posted by 94toy4x4fever
yes you can use the 5m engine mounts! You might have to play around with a few different oil pans or make your own! I have seen a few two wheel drives converted into 4wd! Anything can be done! If you need a helping hand over the net hit me up, I just helped another guy out with some of his wiring.

Nice! i've been looking on supraforums and supramania but still haven't found a pair. i even made wtb threads. hopefully some will show up. my question about the 4wd isn't can i convert it. i want to lift it with 4wd leafs, front subframe, and whatever else i need to make it to where i can fit a bigger tire. the drivetrain will remain the 7m/r154. i'm also wondering what to do about the rear end? should i swap that out with a 4wd one to? or will the 2wd rear with a locker be fine? i'm gonna go to the wreaking yard and with a tape to see how things match up between the two chassies. i just figure somebody would already know the major differences between the two...

Last edited by black89t; 12-10-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:10 PM

so i found this 88 2wd toyota with a 3" body lift some alright wheels and two good tires. the guy said he'd take 100 bucks. i'm thinkin about picking it up for the wheels and extra rear end. after doing a little research it seems the body lifts for the 88 only work from 86-88. gonna look at it closer to see if i can get it to work since its just plastic blocks. the hight of it is just what i'm shooting for though. maybe i can just use the wheels because thats whats giving it the ground clearence. heres a pic of it. and i went to the wreaker today. the 4wd frames are totally different. putting that suspension on my frame would take way more work than i want to deal with....lol! still haven't got my hands on some 5m mounts either.

oh what are my options with lockers for the 2wd rear end. gonna look around but any tips would be welcome.

Last edited by black89t; 12-11-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM

ended up getting that truck for 100. it was worth it for the wheels/tires, rearend, bodylift, and it has a alright rear bumper that i can use since the truck doesn't have one lol. 2 of the tires still have the little nipple things so they can't have more than 500 miles on them. heres a pic of it on the trailer.

and i found a set of 5m mounts on celicasupra.com so i can get things rolling once those show up. the driveshaft is my new concern. stock it has a two piece. i have the ds out of the crashed supra. i'm gonna have a ds shop mate the two. but my question is should i have them keep the center bearing? i'm thinkin yeah but need to see where the output shaft lands. i feel this is gonna be my biggest hurtle during the whole swap. still haven't pulled the pan on the donor 7m. hopefully i can get to that this weekend. then once the 5m mounts show up pull the 22re and get me some supra power in that lil pickup!!!!!! hahahaha......i'm getting pretty stoked with all these parts piling up! that way i can just knock it out without having to wait on shipping and order delays!!!

Last edited by black89t; 12-17-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 PM

ok so once again this thread has had a massive lack of an update. not much has happened in the past month other than i put the body lift and tires on the truck. then i figured i would test it out at the riverbar! it did pretty good but lacked the power. also the clutch started to slip pretty bad after some playing around so that didn't help lol! was having so much fun with it i put off the swap. then i swamped it trying to follow my friends step side chevy with 44's and it roasted the alternator....so it was a good reason to start the swap. didn't really want to put anything into the 22re. also i finally got a hold of some 5m mounts so that was the main hold up.

last weekend i pulled the pan on the 7m to take a look at the bottom end and got everything off the block that im not using. since the power steering pump is gonna be where the ac compressor was it leaves tons of room for intercooler piping! after inspecting it i don't think that oil pan had come off in 23 years! there wasn't any metal in the pan but omg was there some crud. it was just all the dust and grit that built up in the bottom of the pan over all the years. not much sludge. then i pulled off #6 rod cap to take a look at the bearings and crank. it looked great! had toyota select fit bearings. no signs of any of metal passing through so i say thats safe to assume none of the other rods have serious damage. i torqued it back down and am calling it good. just need to shim the pump then seal the pan.

yesterday my buddy and me got the engine preped to get pulled. took care of everything we could without going under the truck. we only put in an hour or two but busted out big time! then today we finished preping the engine and pulled it. was so much easier than the supra!!! heres some pics. i also slapped one of the 5m mounts on. i need to relocate the oil filter for the other side. tomorrow im gonna test fit the 7m!!!! my new goal is to have it done by the end of january hahahahah!!!!!

Last edited by black89t; 01-16-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
nice ! what are you doing with the 22 and what was wrong with it ?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
nice ! what are you doing with the 22 and what was wrong with it ?
i plan on saving the 22 for a month or two to see how the 7m holds up. then i might sell it. nothing was wrong with it. the clutch slips and the alternator is dead but other than that the engine/trans is fine.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
cool good luck .. subscribed!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM

been super busy but i managed to get some time to test fit the 7m in the truck. all in all it was pretty straight forward. only problem i had was i first tried it with the 5m mounts cause they look very similar so i figured they would line up. after messing with it for a little we noticed that the plate that goes to the chassie is slightly larger so the bolt holes don't line up. so all i did was pull the old mounts off the 22 and bolted them to the 5m brackets. it worked fit perfect after that!!!!

after getting it in there i realized how little clearance issues there are with the 2wd! the only major one is between the core support and front of the engine. its gonna be tight! but other than that the only other minor one is the steering but a little persuasion with a hammer on the pan will fix that lol! my next step is to test fit the trans and get a ds lenght so i can get my custom one made. after that things should go fairly quick. heres some pics of what it looks like.

so some questions i have is what radiator are people using? and where are they putting there intercoolers? i want it to look stock. don't want any major signs that its boosted!

Last edited by black89t; 01-24-2011 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:15 AM

so i know you guys are dieing to see this thing done even though only a few of you post anything hahahaha! but don't worry its almost there. some serious progress has happened since i last updated this thread. i've been working on it here and there. at this point the swap is practically complete. the only things its lacking is a efan setup, intake, exhaust, ic, 4.10 with a locker, and i need to get it running better. all in all in just needs some minor finishing touches.

heres a run down on what i had to do with pics...

for the trans mount all i did was get some 2x4 box steel and made a adapter that raised the mounting position and moved it back a couple inches. then i ended up having to shim it up with some more flat stock. wasn't that hard.

for the ds i just fitted the trans and got a measurement from the center of the ujoint on the yoke to the center of the holes for the carrier bearing. which was 33 1/8. brought it to the only ds shop in humboldt county where they welded the r154 yoke with ujoint and a small section of the front half of the ds to the front half of the truck 2 piece. thankfully theres even one around lol!! its pretty desolate out here

for the wiring i got the male and female plugs from the slavage yard to make mini patch harness so there was no hard wiring done to the truck or supra harnesses.

for fuel im running the supra hanger with pump and the supra fuel lines. the stock return on the truck is only like a 1/4 inch. and the feed goes strainght into my dp. so it was easier to just use the fuel system from the crashed car. oh yeah and im running a 12v straight to it with a relay because the stock wiring was a smaller gauge than the supra and it was easier.

with the radiator i just got lucky lol! when we went up to get my buddys supra i noticed this radiator in the kids garage. he was one of those that had high hopes and dreams but didn't follow through with anything. chris was busy collecting all the spare parts for his car so i asked him if he had any plans with the radiator. he said it was from his old mk2 supra and he didn't really care about it. so i was like you mind if i have it. he was like sure and that was that. it fits amazingly well for being a random freebee

as you can see its still needs some love but the end is near. the next update hopefully will have a video with it. i also forgot to get pics of how i got the clutch to work. i'll be back!

Last edited by black89t; 03-05-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM

ive got a little bit of bad news.....one trip to the riverbar and i threw a rod on the 7m!!!!

im pretty sure it must have had a loose bearing clearance on that rod. i was wrapping it out pretty good though. it blasted mud at 7psi! it was a good time lol.

but don't think im gonna write this thing off that easy. i got a bottom end from the pick and pull and have a good head laying around. come to find out after futher inspection the block was rebuilt and has .020" os pistons and a fresh set of clevites. i decided to replace the rod bearings anyway because theyre so cheap and easy to do with the engine sitting on the stand. went with another set of std clevites. then it will have a fighting chance of lasting with me behind the wheel hahahah!

also got a set of 4.10's out of a square body 4wd 5spd. i pulled the third out of my truck and want to get those in with the new engine and see what it does. i should have the truck going this weekend if all goes well. i will be sure to post a vid of it in action too! i'll get some pics of my new engine and what im doing to it also.

heres the only one i have of it running. i was stumped. ended up being a combo of a bad afm and no ignition signal to the ecu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBuCiNYbDY

Last edited by black89t; 04-11-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 PM

This is awesome!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Banned

DAAAAANNNG!!!! BLACK.... that truck is WELL WORTH a hundred bucks, just for the tires if they hold air.... you can easily make your money plus it looks like, even after you strip what you want....sub'd to this thread this looks awesome
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribed.

Quick Reply: black89t's 7mgte swap