All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Beginning my 5VZ swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beginning my 5VZ swap

Hey guys.

I don't post on here often, but now I'm beginning my 3RZ to 5VZ conversion.

Just before I start, I know what I am getting into, and I am not interested in selling my truck and buying a V6 4WD, blah blah. Though it may be more economical, I am not interested. I do have another car to drive in the meantime, I plan on getting everything together and pulling off the swap in a week or within a week's time with factory parts.

Info on my truck: 99 Base 3RZ 2WD, no ABS. 182k mi. I want to run 33"s and heavier armor, eventually do a 4WD swap too, possibly SAS to avoid vaccum troubles..

Info on the donor truck (motor+trans): 97 SR5, 5VZ 2WD, w/ABS
Engine has 123k. Owner took it to the dealer for a new head, head gasket, pistons, high flowing injectors, basically top end. Previous owner ran it lean with 2nd gen S/C, had to get it fixed after pinging. Service records (which I have available) prove such work. New Timing belt and water pump at 98k. The motor does run.

A buddy of mine purchased the motor and trans together to get the 2nd gen supercharger that was on it. He took it off for his use and the original intake manifold and TB are back.

Now I need to know a few things. I have searched religiously and I cannot find a few things.

1. I am in CA. I understand that having a motor from an older vehicle is not legal. However, are there ways to get around this? Heard theres nothing an angle grinder can't fix, and I'm not sure I could get away with no vin on the block. Heard also that as long as it's the same model motor from your car that it should work.

2. If I indeed do the swap, should I just have it smogged and see if the V6 motor passes under the 3RZ regulations? Like it never happened?

3. I have compiled a list of everything I need. A few things did arise, though. According to a few swap write-ups, I will have difficulty installing this pre 98 motor and trans into a 99 due to the midgen upgrades... such as the gauge cluster readout screen. I assume I could just use a 99+ engine harness on this older motor, everything should match up? Essentially, I can install this motor exactly like a 99 motor if I used all 99+ components?

4. Assuming the above is correct, can i also run a 99+ MAF? I've got the 97 ECU but I figure that has to be changed to a 99+ to work with the other components? fill me in, please.

5. Engine harness is pretty torn up due to all of the previous owner's piggybacking stuff. Are the harnesses the same between 96-02? How about trans harnesses?

6. I would like to reuse as much of the 3RZ compatible hardware as I can. I have read that the O2 sensors (mine are new, anyway) are interchangeable. Is this true? The same question goes for my 2.5" CARB legal Magnaflow Catalytic converter (new), U joints (I am aware the driveshaft is different, and the slip yolk, I just want to reuse my new u joints), transmission mount locations, and motor mount locations?

Sorry if I sound like a broken record. I have been searching the internet for hours and I am just hoping for some specific answers. I know you guys are extremely knowledgeable and I look to you for assistance.

All in all, this is what I have ready:

5VZ from 97
Trans from 97
Exhaust manifold
all belt driven accessories (alt, etc)
Throttle body and intake manifold
spark plugs and wires
97 ECU for V6 2WD
Torn up (crimp connectors, etc..) harness for engine from donor
Trans harness from donor
Old used O2 sensors
high flow injectors which will need replacing w/ factory

What I want to reuse from my 3RZ

newer O2 Sensors
U joints
Catalytic converter
Catback 2.5" (shouldn't be a problem)

What I need to buy

Injectors
Driveshaft+slip yolk
Doug Thorley Headers (I hear they're a bitch to install when the engines in)
New CAI
Trans mount crossmember I believe is different
Engine harness (probably)
MAF
Belts for N/A

Thanks for your guy's help.

Last edited by ChildrenOfBodom; 01-30-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:22 PM

Just curious, is the old engine still good or is it locked up?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by shawnstcyr
Just curious, is the old engine still good or is it locked up?
3RZ? Runs like a beauty. Newly adjusted valves, new rear main seal, crank seal, oil filter housing seal, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and all with 182k on the block.

I hate to lose it and the LCE performance headers, but I need to gain more power... mainly low end. 4.56's are great and all but it's still putting 130hp to the wheels...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
you can use the newer maf, just need to repin the connector... I did it and there is a write up someone else has done on it. Search maf swap.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by vital22re
you can use the newer maf, just need to repin the connector... I did it and there is a write up someone else has done on it. Search maf swap.
Sweet, will do.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
K so you mentioned you knew what you were getting into, yet you're swapping an older motor into a new vehicle ( which is not legal ) and you also mentioned that you wanted to smog it as a 3rz which is of course not possible due to the fact that they do visual inspections. Also, Being that you're being in california, you're going to go need to get it BAR'd. And THAT will bust you on the older motor into a newer vehicle. So i'll ask you this...

are you SURE you know what you're getting into?

My opinion? ( not trying to be a jack ass ) but keep the 3RZ. its reliable, great gas mileage, decent horse power results and theres TONS of aftermarket selections for your modding pleasures. I'm not gonna be like "oh its only 2wd, its worthless" I understand sedimental value. but personally? maybe you should focus on other things with the 4Runner instead of going in this direction. You mentioned you wanna swap it to 4wd, if you have the skills, why not? I have a 3vz ( makes the same power as the 3rz ) with 4.88s and it holds its own weight even though it only gets 16 mpg.

just my .02...
Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Sounds like a good winter time project.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So will you be able to reuse your air box?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
K so you mentioned you knew what you were getting into, yet you're swapping an older motor into a new vehicle ( which is not legal ) and you also mentioned that you wanted to smog it as a 3rz which is of course not possible due to the fact that they do visual inspections. Also, Being that you're being in california, you're going to go need to get it BAR'd. And THAT will bust you on the older motor into a newer vehicle. So i'll ask you this...

My opinion? ( not trying to be a jack ass ) but keep the 3RZ. its reliable, great gas mileage, decent horse power results and theres TONS of aftermarket selections for your modding pleasures. I'm not gonna be like "oh its only 2wd, its worthless" I understand sedimental value. but personally? maybe you should focus on other things with the 4Runner instead of going in this direction. You mentioned you wanna swap it to 4wd, if you have the skills, why not? I have a 3vz ( makes the same power as the 3rz ) with 4.88s and it holds its own weight even though it only gets 16 mpg.

just my .02...
Very valid argument. Thanks, I do appreciate the input.

So there is not a chance of getting around the legality it seems. I suppose if I must, I could always keep everything, buy a 99 block and do the swap.

Hell, I still have all of the other parts required such as trans and stuff. The block is the only thing in my way. Suppose I got a new block, really, I would appreciate the extra power available with the V6. I see what you mean on gearing and holding it's own, but like you, I don't like the gas mileage as V6 would have... only for less results.

4WD will come, though.

Originally Posted by FoneRunner
So will you be able to reuse your air box?
I do not have the airbox anymore, but the intake does not fit.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR

This question alone tells me me no:
Are the harnesses the same between 96-02?
The answer is no, the harnesses are not the same from year to year or model to model. I'd recommend you start reading here if you continue with this project : https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...ctions-166052/

Quote from ORS instructions:
Toyota made changes to the electronics, sensors, and wiring configurations every year and to every model within each year. This makes it nearly impossible to match parts from different donor vehicles
I'd say sell the engine/transmission and your 2wd truck and buy a used 4wd truck with a 5VZ. And I'd say that even if you didn't have the California DOT to deal with, since you do its a no brainer IMHO.

Good luck either way.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-31-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:28 AM

Where in Mission Viejo are you ? I live here too.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
This question alone tells me me no:

The answer is no, the harnesses are not the same from year to year or model to model. I'd recommend you start reading here if you continue with this project : https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...ctions-166052/

Quote from ORS instructions:

I'd say sell the engine/transmission and your 2wd truck and buy a used 4wd truck with a 5VZ. And I'd say that even if you didn't have the California DOT to deal with, since you do its a no brainer IMHO.

Good luck either way.
Alright then, it looks like I'll keep my eyes peeled for a 1999, then. It sure does seem like quite the ordeal between years, even with a 1999, but easier than others nonetheless. Even if I buy a 4WD, this truck isn't going anywhere.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by cadman
Where in Mission Viejo are you ? I live here too.
Oh cool, I'm in the north part of MV closer to Alicia parkway. Yourself?

Last edited by ChildrenOfBodom; 02-01-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:03 AM

The housing tract across the Night Stalker homes at Alicia & Jeronimo.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The housing tract across the Night Stalker homes at Alicia & Jeronimo.
That sounds like a nice neighborhood.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 AM

Mission Viejo is a nice, safe environment for everyone, even serial killers

Actually, it does rank near the top on the list of America's safest cities, to the point of boredom.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Wow, a good majority of my friends live there.

You're not even a mile's distance from me, depending on where in that neighborhood.

Place is huge! I've spent enough time driving around in it though to know how to get anywhere in it. I go there often enough to memorize the cars that are usually there.

For example, I always see an older gray extra cab pickup and white 2nd gen 4r on Deseo, and a bunch of MR2's down the street from there. There's also a dude with 3 awesome Land Cruisers and a Unimog, a house with 2 3rd gens and a house with 2 4th gens aha.

Very toyota inhabited
Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM

That gray extra cab is mine, the 4nr is the wife's.

Yeah, there are quite a few Toyotas in the area. Those Land Cruisers are beautiful, and one of them got a picture in an issue of 4WDTO magazine a few years back. His son has a 2nd or 3rd gen pickup thats built up as a rock crawler.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM

That gray extra cab is mine, the 4nr is the wife's.

Yeah, there are quite a few Toyotas in the area. Those Land Cruisers are beautiful, and one of them got a picture in an issue of 4WDTO magazine a few years back. His son has a 2nd or 3rd gen pickup thats built up as a rock crawler.
Nuts! I could go outside and yell, you'd probably hear me!

I gotta come by and see that build, I just looked over your 3.4 swap, very impressive.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM

Weekends are a good time, just stop on by.