All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

The 95 4runner 1UZ swap project begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Houston, I think you have a problem.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, one of many...instead of getting a few hrs this wkend to dig deeper into that, I have to diagnose why my 4wheel drive wont work. Sure it wont be a simple vacuume line or solenoid, gonna expect an actuator or worse. My own damn fault..found a pair of locking hubs in a local yard a few weeks ago but refused to pay $80 a pcs. for them...dumbass. I wait til we get snow and ice to realize..no 4x4! Got half a mind to de-commission the runner for the winter and side step all the salt and brine piss they started slinging around here already...FOR A DUSTING OF SNOW!!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 PM

I am putting together the last few parts on my list to get this 1uz thing going. Providing I dont have to put a whole bunch of extra money in either of these motors just to hear it run, I should be able to start tearing the old girl down in bout a month.

water pump
oil pump
timing belt and idler kit
radiator and fan
transfer case shifter-t100
like to put an air flow meter on it
alt and a few pulleys
Then a lengthy nickel dime list..hoses/fluids etc.

I'm like'n the route one of ya'll took(sorry read sooo many threads I cant remember who) and just got the project going with a high mile motor with the intent to change it when finished. At this point right now I want to find the simplest route to get this thing running to cut "down time" to a strict minimum. If It comes down to it and I have to rebuild one, I will get going fitting one in the truck and drop the other one off at Wasserbecks and have him go stupid with the machine work. Knowing myself, while I'm up in there I'll prob do a port and all new jewelry in the heads, dished pistons, custom grind cams and force feed the snot out that ol' girl. Love to know what 450hp would do for this thing in stock street form. Then at some point like my last V8 swap,that wont be enough and I'll spray off a 100 shot right in the kisser
Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
subscribed- just getting ready to pick up a t100 tranny/transfer case this weekend. Saving parts to start my build with the 1uz. Looking good, did you get it finished?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM

Unfortunately "life happens" has put a delay on things but in the next couple weeks when a tax return comes I was sending the motor to have it machined. Still undecided on wether I should try to find a whole car instead..in good shape of course. MAJOR suckage that both these motors were junk..5 bones down the ˟˟˟˟˟ter right out the gate was a huge hit in the budget and I'm still gonna have to tighten up a parts list to make sure I have everything perfect before I start. Cant be down for a month so more and more research ahead. This crazy thing is still running so she hasn't forced my hand..lucky for me. Got to do some time attack romping in the snow a bit too.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Family medical/health and work issues have come to a slow so I am on the hunt for a complete "running" 1uz to finally get this project going, since the head gasket did finally squzz on the 3.slow and has been parked all summer. I have still been doing some research on the oil pan situation and may try the Lexus Lx ring so I can use the steel pan..easy for me to mod.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maniacmotorsports
Family medical/health and work issues have come to a slow so I am on the hunt for a complete "running" 1uz to finally get this project going, since the head gasket did finally squzz on the 3.slow and has been parked all summer. I have still been doing some research on the oil pan situation and may try the Lexus Lx ring so I can use the steel pan..easy for me to mod.

If you don't mind traveling a bit Chicago seems to be a hotbed for older Lexus' cheap.

There is a 92 SC400 with body and suspension damage in St. Louis right now on craigslist for an asking price of $1000. It's been there a while so I'd bet he'd take less for it.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good to see your able to get back at this .. Good luck Man !!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:05 PM

gonna try to keep focused on it now, money for the parts is gonna be the biggest challenge after getting knocked in the head for my motor budget. I have to do something now cause my motorcycle weather went away. I have a 1ton truck I am de commish'n that has an excellent running 3.0 in it, I just know that if I have to to do nearly the same amount of work pulling motors and such, I would rather end up with a real "powerplant" after all said and done. I have a small biz now called Custom Component Engineering, fab'n a huge variety of "man toys" , parts n such so this is a cinch. The wiring will most certainly be challenging to keep focused on cause..well, I hate it. Be warned, I will be bugging the crap out of all you guys that did the auto swap, for info along the way. LOL

Last edited by maniacmotorsports; 11-16-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
If you don't mind traveling a bit Chicago seems to be a hotbed for older Lexus' cheap.

There is a 92 SC400 with body and suspension damage in St. Louis right now on craigslist for an asking price of $1000. It's been there a while so I'd bet he'd take less for it.
much thanks for the tip, that is a little far from Columbus tho..been trying to find a way to buy from CoPart, an auction local for scrappers/dismantler facilities. To find a whole car with severe hail damage or driveable body damage would be tight as a gnats tail pipe..
Old 11-25-2011, 04:09 AM

well the only update I have, I spent all day Sat cleaning the shop for space to start the project and then Sun I got the 4runner drove in for it's last time as a 3. junk. I started pulling some parts off and labeling some wires and hoses. Everyone I know keeps telling me how stupid it is that I dont pull the motor from my 2wd 89 1ton I just de-commished! They almost get me until I go thru the plan/process and realize the amount of work involved switching over knock sensors and distribs and whatever else is different from the 89 to 95, is nearly the same. Only to end up with the same gas guzzling turd that just may as well sqeeze a gasket on it next wk after its done.
After not being able to find that "killer deal" on a LS400, I decided to gut all the heavy iron out of one motor to ready it for the scrap yard as well as use it for a much lighter weight mock-up to fab all the mounts and exhaust, and hope that by the time it is ready for the last fitting, I find a running car. I REALLY want to keep air cond on this thing too so it was nice to see RMA was able to get it to fit. I will be heading to the shop later today and will take more pics..also need to fig out the best way to load pics from my Tmobile my touch phone.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:58 AM

got the motor/trans/tc out yesterday..that was a big pita! anyone need a good trans/tc? now to fig out just how much stuff I can remove from the 1uz and still run..def egr..then exhaust..and the oh so fun wiring begins.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:20 AM

yanked this POS out...
time to clean the hole it left...
for this..

Last edited by maniacmotorsports; 12-02-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 AM

did a test fit..man those things look damn sexy in there!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM

1uz swap wiring harnes schematic

It looks like the most of this fab work is going fairly simple, I am having a hard time finding more specific schematic info on a 2nd gen 1uz swap tho. I have read about 15 build threads and seen lots of splayed out harnesses in pictures but not much real "what connects to what". I probably missed it, I started reading 2 yrs ago, sooo many different, some very lengthy(twisty, Cebby) . Anyone feel gracious enough to point me in the right direction to a thread or rescource for something I may have missed for a 2nd gen 4Runner 1uz/lexus auto/VF1A TC swap wiring schematic? The wifey has been soo kind to chuck alot of notes from my desk I took on post#s on who's thread and such. Much thanks

Last edited by maniacmotorsports; 12-02-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
looking good bro .. do you not have a pan on the engine in the test fit pic ?

as far as the wiring , just study the wiring diagrams for both engines .. just pay attention to how the circuits went on the 3.0 and do the same for the lexus .. you only need a couple wires hooked up to actually get the engine running .. off the top of my head B+.IGSW,BATT..power to injectors ,ignitors ,fuel pump,starter .. and bam it will start.. dont bother looking online for how to connect each wire(havent seen anything like that .. but i guess it could be out there) .. just study your diagrams it really is not that hard...

and i do have the connector you need
email me your address and ill send it out to you ..

by the way if you run across any of those t-100 transfer case extension housings let me know ,if the price is right ill buy them off you .. i need 3 housings !!!!!

im not on here much right now so just email me if you have any more specific questions .. good luck bro !!

Last edited by RMA; 12-02-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 AM

the pan is not on..gave me a lil more room to look at all aspects and areas of fitment...will be doing a B/L anyway to get it exactly how I want It. I will check the scrapper I got my housing from..if they have them, they charge $50 plus tax for them. Far more rare here tho. Be happy to send ya as many as I can find. BTW..you could sell the gummy bears outta those rust free v8 4runners here for $4k to $4500 all day long. They just DO NOT EXIST here.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 12-03-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Watch your language
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Got a project in my shop like this myself.
Lexus V8 into a 90s pickup. It's a big jigsaw puzzle of customer parts.

Good luck.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM

I am not a big fan of huffing freon into the atmosphere..was trying to get ahold of a buddy to vac it out..he is blowing me off tho.
I spent about 4 hrs today trying to get everything loose I need to in order to put a body lift on only to realize all the bumper corner connections and bolt are all frozen and rusted...all the very reasons I did NOT want to do a Blift. 1st gens are soooooo much easier. I decided I am going to just make a custom p/u tube and pan shifted forward and pizz on the lift.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:22 AM

least favorite part...

started the wiring, now I have my own pic of a splayed out harness. I don't know why I was soooo intimidated by this..like RMA said, it really isn't that hard. Prob just laziness, not feeling like putting the 5hrs into it last nite.

Quick Reply: The 95 4runner 1UZ swap project begins