All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1UZFE Swap humble beginings.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1UZFE Swap humble beginings.

I finally decided on an engine to replace my tired 3vze a few days ago. After doing 1-2 months of research, cost effectiveness, and generally figuring out what was best suited for me, I came to the conclusion that the 1uzfe was the one for me.

My current setup is a 3vze in front of an a340h auto trans. **EDIT**I have sold the manual trans setup as plans have changed and the auto is staying in the truck.

**EDIT**The engine and trans choices have changed due to time and preference. The engine that is being used is a 95 OBD1 and the trans is staying as an a340H.

I'm thinking of possibly having mounts CNC'ed so that it will fit the stock mounting to 1uz (3vze to 1uz), if I do I will be keeping the CAD file and sharing for others future projects. ** EDIT **I will be using something very similar to Toyminator's engine mount but will probably as said have them CNC'ed.

Looks like I'm going to get this project done for less than 2 grand (unless I run into issues).

Can't wait to get it done and I will document with pictures as much as I can!

Last edited by Vudujoose; 09-20-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 1997 version of the 1uz is ODBII emissions so I think you will have to keep all the O/2 sensors intact.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by toyminator2000
A 1997 version of the 1uz is ODBII emissions so I think you will have to keep all the O/2 sensors intact.
Yeah, shouldn't be an issue though.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to see this swap!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:49 PM

It's been a while since I posted, not much going on, busy summer probably won't start work until the fall.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:45 AM

In. Want to see this one go down. And I am so jealous that you could find a 97 LS400 for so cheap. That is the only year I want to put into my truck and legally can put in my truck.

Plus, want to see how the manual conversion goes.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 AM

Officially starting today!!!!!

Got the 1uz out of the car, ordered a few new parts for it and will be starting the electronics research this weekend. Hopefully have some pictures after tonight.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM

Awesome! What will be interesting is doing the swap from OBD I to OBD II and dealing with the immobilizer. If you have the keys though, I think you will be fine. Just have to tuck the box/transponder away under the dash.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM

Also, I would do your engine mounts like toyminator did. Smartest and most efficient way to do it. You will have to get the SC400 mounts though and some generic RX7 poly bushings. But you will be able to adjust the height of the engine if you follow his pattern.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:20 PM

This thread was probably the most help on figuring out what wires to connect to the existing wire harness in my 4runner. Some of the wiring will be different, but most of the basic power connections should be the same.
http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=156.0

And this one is good for just getting the engine running out of the car.
http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0
Old 09-15-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Man4God
Awesome! What will be interesting is doing the swap from OBD I to OBD II and dealing with the immobilizer. If you have the keys though, I think you will be fine. Just have to tuck the box/transponder away under the dash.

I sold the 97 picked up a 95 Engine/Harness/ECU/Ignitor (SC400).

I decided the OBD2 was going to cause unnecessary amounts of work and probably a ton of headaches.

I pulled the intake manifold off today for the first time and TON of carbon build up on the back side of the throttle body and in the runners, so I decided to pull the plugs just to check and sure enough the plugs were showing signs of running super rich leading me to believe that the previous owner had been riding on an SEL / CEL for a while due to bad 02 sensors.

The engine turns fine and hopefully in a few days I can get a compression test done.

I would upload the pictures I have but I'm working on my truck at my dads house and left my phone in his garage =(.

Originally Posted by 89lc
This thread was probably the most help on figuring out what wires to connect to the existing wire harness in my 4runner. Some of the wiring will be different, but most of the basic power connections should be the same.
http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=156.0

And this one is good for just getting the engine running out of the car.
http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=63.0
Score dude +1 for that post, good looking out!

Last edited by Vudujoose; 09-15-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM

Parts needed so far:
  • Flex plate (decided to stay auto for now)
  • MAFS / AFM (not sure what Toyota calls it)
  • Tundra headers 00-04
  • LS oil pan (the 95 is an SC)
  • Timing belt
Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Engine ready to tear the heads off after a comp test to replace head gaskets, valve seals, check the hone on the cylinders and possibly re-ring (if need be) amongst a few other things.

Last edited by Vudujoose; 09-17-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Also, I would do your engine mounts like toyminator did. Smartest and most efficient way to do it. You will have to get the SC400 mounts though and some generic RX7 poly bushings. But you will be able to adjust the height of the engine if you follow his pattern.
You possibly have a link to this setup?

Toyminator your more than welcome to chime in, this is a first for me and I could use all the help I can get.

I do have a few questions about fitment and installation.

Because I'm using the a340h with the 1uz bell housing am I going to have to build a new trans cross member or is it something I can just move back?

Secondly, I'm not sure I understand why I have to use the traction control. Is there no way to isolate a signal and loop it so the engine doesn't require it to actually be hooked up or installed?

I have read I can use the 3vze stock radiator, is this true (It's brand new is why I ask.)

Do the 00-04 Tundra headers need to be shorty's or long headers?
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM

This is how I did mine.

Name:  0813120821_zps0a5b84b7.jpg
Views: 1511
Size:  99.0 KB

I used the larger bushings.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...-Isolators.asp
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vudujoose
You possibly have a link to this setup?

Toyminator your more than welcome to chime in, this is a first for me and I could use all the help I can get.

I do have a few questions about fitment and installation.

Because I'm using the a340h with the 1uz bell housing am I going to have to build a new trans cross member or is it something I can just move back?

Secondly, I'm not sure I understand why I have to use the traction control. Is there no way to isolate a signal and loop it so the engine doesn't require it to actually be hooked up or installed?

I have read I can use the 3vze stock radiator, is this true (It's brand new is why I ask.)

Do the 00-04 Tundra headers need to be shorty's or long headers?
You can either move back the crossmember and make new mounts on the frame or modify where it bolts to the transfer case. Front Range Off Road make a good design if you want to make new mounts on the frame.

Don't need the traction control.

The 3vz radiator may work but I'd keep an eye on the temps. It just doesn't hold anywhere near the amount of fluid that the Lexus radiator does.

Here's my mounts.

Name:  114_1982.jpg
Views: 3020
Size:  142.7 KB
Name:  114_1983.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 AM

At least I was on the right track with the mounts, glad to know you don't need the TCS, and thanks for the info on the cross member.

I was very skeptical about using the 1uz mounts. I like the urethane block style for 2 reasons; Near solid and smaller / can be made smaller.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Sorry I didn't jump in and was tardy. But yeah, both Toy & 89 got yer back.

I also saw a transmission cross member adapter that basically was a thick plate that you bolt to the transmission where the cross member mounts and it "extends" the mounting area which then bolts to the existing cross member.

EDIT: Is there any reason why you aren't going to use the 1uz transmission?

Last edited by Man4God; 09-20-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 AM

Sorry I didn't jump in and was tardy. But yeah, both Toy & 89 got yer back.

I also saw a transmission cross member adapter that basically was a thick plate that you bolt to the transmission where the cross member mounts and it "extends" the mounting area which then bolts to the existing cross member.

EDIT: Is there any reason why you aren't going to use the 1uz transmission?
I think the 1uz trans is bad. I didn't need it since I was planning on going with a manual trans but I've become spoiled with this auto trans (First one I have ever owned).

As for the bracket, is this the one your talking about?

Ebay trans bracket
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vudujoose
I think the 1uz trans is bad. I didn't need it since I was planning on going with a manual trans but I've become spoiled with this auto trans (First one I have ever owned).

As for the bracket, is this the one your talking about?

Ebay trans bracket
Ahh, gotcha. If the tranny is bad, then yeah, no point.

Yes, that is the bracket! I read that the guy who makes that is the former owner/partner of Downey Offroad. That might work for you and is dirt cheap.

Quick Reply: 1UZFE Swap humble beginings.