All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

1985 IFS pickup with 7mge wont start

Old 04-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 IFS pickup with 7mge wont start

About 9 months ago I blew the headgasket on the truck because my thermostat stopped working and the engine overheated. So I parked it since that happened and started working on it again a couple weeks ago, I took the head out got it machined and put it all back together with a new headgasket kit now all the truck wants to do is crank. I checked the spark plug wire for spark and im getting nothing. The truck does have a killswitch chip and although ive never had problems with it in the past when I did use to drive it before blowing the headgasket this is essentially what would happen if you took the chip out and tried to start it , it would just crank. Im a huge noob and really not sure what to do at this point so any help is appreciated
Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you just redid your engine you need to install a fail safe thermostat. They are a little more money, but if they fail they fail in the open position. Instead of your engine overheating it doesn't heat up enough...you hardly get heat out of your heater.
Toyota computers cannot be chipped, so what are you referring to when you talk about a kill switch chip?
Everyone has to start learning somewhere, so being a noob, you have nowhere to go but up when it comes to wiring. To start you need to purchase a good quality VOM(volt ohm meter) and I don't mean a Canadian Tire or Radio Shack (The Source) special. I'm talking Fluke, Greenlee or RCC. Next you need to research the troubleshooting procedures for the year of your 7M-GE. Forget about the FSM (factory service manual) for your truck...you have a custom setup. Members on here can suggest what component might be giving you the problem, but until you start testing out components and verify that each is okay according to spec., you won't really know where the problem is. Trying to fix the problem by randomly throwing parts at your truck can cost a substantial amount of money very quickly. You will soon spend more than what a good quality VOM would have cost you.
Good Luck!