3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Yup, another 3.4 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, another 3.4 Swap

It's that time. I have procrastinated long enough. I originally was going to rebuild a 3.0, but started running into issues with time and money. Now it has become apparent that my 4Runner needs a new mule to pull it, and a 3.4 practically landed in my lap.

'96 3.4L auto from a wrecked 4Runner (destroyed airbox and power steering pump) 150K miles.

I have already installed the 2" body lift and will be doing some work on this engine before it goes in.

Plans are to REPLACE:
Timing belt
water pump
plugs/ and wires

Mods that will be done:
ISR, (didn't get an airbox, but did get the MAF)
ECT ( here if you forgot. http://www.midiwall.com/4Runner/ect.html )

Things I will need:
I know to move the dip stick, and use the 3.0 oil pan and baffle.
Reuse 3.0 motor mounts and an assortment of 3.0 and 3.4 clutch pieces.

Questions.

1.) Will the wiring harness on the 3.4 (for an auto) work for a manual, or do I need to look for a harness from a manual truck?

2.) Is there anyway to use the ECU or just go ahead and get the one for a manual?

3.) Which power steering pump will I need to use?

4.) Does anyone make the crossover piece for the exhaust anymore?

5.) Should I look at replacing anything else on the engine?

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure I will have more questions has this proceeds. It will be slow going due to limited funds, school/work schedules and it's just plain hot outside.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by wii_tarded; 06-13-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm subscribed! I'm not sure about the auto/manual differences but as for the crossover pipe I know most guys use the old flanges and make a custom x-over pipe with them. I'm planning on doing this swap soon, can't wait
Old 06-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
While you have it out, timing belt, water pump, tstat, valve cover gaskets, pcv, plugs, crank seal, cam seals, rear main seal, and all new drive belts...probably more I'm forgetting.

You can just cut up your OEM crossover and flip it. My bud John did it on his 94 and it was fairly easy.

You can get the dipstick bung from the dealer for a few bucks, just knock the plug out of the one already there when you flip the motor and put the new pan on and put that plug in the old dipstick tube spot.

Currently got mine all apart powder coating the intake, valve covers and assorted parts.

Got to get a few more parts like spark plug tube seals and the pcv seal but that's about it.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Where are you relocating the dipstick to? And what is the best tool to modifiy the baffle? Are you using FIPG, or a regular gasket on the oil pan?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 AM

I've been pricing parts online for the past little bit, and was curious about who has had what kind of luck with Autozone parts vs. Dealer parts. Are there certain parts that you guys would only trust from Toyota, and others that are just as good from other parts sources? Really only want to tear into this thing once every so often, and I'd be really ticked if it were due to bad parts.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wii_tarded
Where are you relocating the dipstick to? And what is the best tool to modifiy the baffle? Are you using FIPG, or a regular gasket on the oil pan?
There is no "regular gasket" for these. Use FIPG material for them.

Dipstick gets relocated to the side of the block, as on the 3.0, and the front dipstick hole gets plugged.

I didn't modify my baffle. I cut one leg off my oil pump pickup. Works fine.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get a MANUAL ECU and wiring harness guy...

i believe it's POSSIBLE to use an auto harness and ECU with a manual tranny...but unless you are a COMPLETE wiring GENIUS...then it's gonna save you thousands of hours if you bet a manual ecu and harness lol
Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I did ALL OEM Toyota and for the slight price difference, worth it in my opinion as I don't want to have to replace any of it for another 120K.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
...but unless you are a COMPLETE wiring GENIUS...
I have an Associates in Electronics, and graduate in December with my Bachelors' Degree...does that count as a wiring genius?

Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by wii_tarded
I have an Associates in Electronics, and graduate in December with my Bachelors' Degree...does that count as a wiring genius?

That might cover it.

As far as running the auto ECU with the manual tranny, I believe that you can do it by fooling the ECU into thinking it's in neutral.

My swap was manual to manual, though, so don't take my word 100%.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:44 AM

best of luck with this dude and be willing to step away from time to time and get online and ask for help. Don't get frustrated and break something.

Death Cougar and toylocost helped me immensely in Off Topic with my MR2 water pump and timing belt .There are similar experts lurking here for a wiring harness help but short answer would be to find a manual's harness, it will pay for itself in alleviating frustration alone....

Off Road Solutions (ORS-Mike) here in Denver used to do these 3.4 swaps - but they went out of business- I bet you can still find help though...count me in as subscribed. Not sure if their website still is around. See also Rising Sun 4wd club website for more threads like this. Addicted Off Road may be able to help-not sure...
Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just read the book 'Automotive Wiring and Electronics' that makes me a wiring genius too right?

hahaha

The wiring is going to be the biggest PITA for me I think too...
Old 06-13-2010, 05:48 PM

The wiring isn't that bad.

Your goal is to splice the 3.4 engine harness in to the 4Runner's dash harness behind the passenger kick panel. You need to figure out what each pin on your 3.0 dash harness does, then cross-reference to the 3.4 engine harness. It's time consuming, but once you get your head wrapped around it, it isn't that bad.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 PM

I already understand that wiring will be the most time consuming part of this swap (and most difficult). With that in mind, I'm trying to keep things in perspective. The real PITA just happened this afternoon.

The group of workers that I support just went on strike, meaning that I guess I'm on strike too. I won't go back to work until they do.

In the mean time, I will be doing as much as I can without spending any money until I go back to work.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:08 AM

You can make the 3.4 Auto ECM and wiring harness work with the manual in your 90 without a lot of problems.
I have been driving a 97 3.4 Auto ECM and harness swap in my 93 manual 4Runner for almost 2 months now, and no problems so far. You will get a few codes (P0710, P0758, P0773 are the ones that I have) thru the OBD2 pretaining to the auto trans but this is due to the ECM looking for signals from the auto trans solenoids that are no longer there. This does not affect the running of the engine as far as I can tell. Your CEL will stay on all of the time, but you can always just remove the light bulb if this bothers you.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:59 AM

been too long since posting. Back at work finally and can start "little" projects on it again. I will be draining all fluids from the 3.0 and start unplugging the harness and removing parts from the bay today. I may try to trade the auto ecu for a manual one.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 AM

Got quite a bit done yesterday afternoon. No pics, just the same old crap of taking stuff off. Drained the fluids, and removed the radiator, air box, and battery. Call me crazy, but I think that all I need to do now is unbolt the tranny and unplug the wiring harness, and the 3.0 is ready to come out....Am I forgeting anything?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossover pipe

A few guys on here have used toyonlyswaps.com for there crossover pipes if you don't build it yourself.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by NIGHTCRAWLER541
A few guys on here have used toyonlyswaps.com for there crossover pipes if you don't build it yourself.
this just might make my day, been all over Knoxville looking for a shop that could build one without having the vehicle there.

Just got off the phone with TOS, and a heck of a deal....THANK YOU FOR THE LINK!!!

Last edited by wii_tarded; 06-29-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Crazy question...does anyone know if the rake on the windshield is the same between 2nd and 3rd gens? If it's the same, then I should be able to order a snorkle to go on my 2nd gen. If not, guess I'll have to build one...

Quick Reply: Yup, another 3.4 Swap