3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Wolfrunner 3.4L Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wolfrunner 3.4L Swap

Alright I figured there are quite a bit of swap write ups on here but I've read most of them and learned something from each one. So that leads me to believe that maybe me writing up my own might just help someone along the way in the future. Also it seems like most pictures are gone from the older posts (which really sucks) so I will try to post as many pictures as possible. Any and all comments are welcome and tips will be taken into account. I will admit it is a little tough to know exactly what is the right way or easiest way to do this based on all I have read so the best way to find out is to just jump into it and go at it.

My Runner is a 1993 3.0 powered 4x4 with around 240,000 miles on it and an auto trans. It has a straight axle and 5.29 gears so I am looking forward to more power! I am going to stick with the factory auto at this time. Mainly due to liking the auto and wanting to keep the interior as stock looking as possible and not wanting to convert to man. trans. (at this time, maybe in the future) The trans will be getting pulled and rebuilt.

Then comes the good deal: The donor rig was owned by a buddy who took great care of it but a month ago hit black ice in Washington state and rolled it on its side. Its a 1997 4x4 M/T. He bought it back from the insurance who totaled it and gave me the engine, exhaust, harness, and whatever else I wanted FOR FREE!!! Big shout out to Will B. !!!! So here I have a perfectly running 3.4 and most of what I need. My Runner is tabbed in Washington and will be keeping its plates and registration so no need to make it California legal (even though I'm here for a few more years).

So after about 3 weeks of planning and arranging time off to get up to Washington I finally have the engine here in California and on an engine stand. I figured no better time to replace the timing belt, water pump, and do some basic work on it while its out of the rig. I decided not to do the wiring myself and have decided to go with Cliff at Toyota Only Swaps. He was very polite and returned my calls every time.

Name:  1EE2AACB-3FEB-4F2B-9173-E7817B744BF1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  309.2 KB Donor Runner
Name:  26DB12B5-E4A9-4168-B493-1D1DC8ED3156.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  277.9 KB Getting it home after shipping it Across 2 states
Name:  63966A46-B517-4D52-A7DA-7287F29BBCF1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  254.9 KB
Name:  C38F0C5F-C42D-401F-9287-BF4AAA91269C.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  168.7 KB
My Baby!
Old 02-18-2016, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have a great looking runner and a 3.4 in it would give it some more zip. Each build always as some bit of more information that may have been missed from other builds.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM

Thanks Terrvs87.
Today a group of parts came in that I had been waiting on. The timing belt, water pump, etc that I got through Napa, and also the Ballistics battery hold down came in . I also was able to find a 97 T100 ECM and wiring harnesses through a wrecking yard in Utah. Great guys there Ill have to post up their name and number soon. 375.00 for both harnesses and the ECM. I have a 97 4Runner ECM manual trans if anyone needs one. Had that sent directly to Cliff at TOS. Im waiting till the last min to pull my 3.0. I drive it occasionally so no reason to this very min. I wish I knew someone here locally that could weld my cross over pipe so I could save a huge chunk but I think I'm going to have to send it to Cliff and have him do it. I don't weld. (don't judge). I'll post up some pictures after work today.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Pm sent about your ecm
Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 PM

So an update. Just about wrapped up with the timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gaskets. The drivers rear seems to be leaking over a long period of time. Took the valve covers to work and cleaned them up like new. Trying to degrease the block just cause I like stuff to be as clean as poss. I didn't build a tool to take the crank shaft bolt off. I have service truck through work so I just brought it home and buzzed it off with an air gun. Came off super easy! That was a load off my mind. Now just have to figure out a good way to torque it.

The timing belt was a pain in the butt to get the new one back on so I just left the tensioner off and routed the belt then zip tied the belt together right above the crankshaft which gave me plenty of room to put the tensioner on.
Name:  BB770546-AE55-400B-865F-14A99501CD9D.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  369.8 KB

So now just need to button up the plenum and then flip her over and pull the pan off.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:01 PM

So Ive read the thread on what oil pan to use and I still have questions on maybe what other people have used for a solid axle conversion. Cliff at Toyota Only Swaps says I should be just fine using my 3.0 factory pan and parts cause I haven't had any problems with the set up that I have now. But I've also been told that I need to get the T100 pan. I've read the write up on here but it seems like everyone has there own opinion. Any one with a solid axle conversion with 5" springs have any feed back? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfrunner
...I didn't build a tool to take the crank shaft bolt off. I have service truck through work so I just brought it home and buzzed it off with an air gun. Came off super easy! That was a load off my mind. Now just have to figure out a good way to torque it...
You know what you need to do. Its all fine and well that you can use an impact to remove that bolt, but like you're now seeing, you need to figure out how to re-torque it to 217 ft-lbs. Take the 10 minutes and $20 and go build yourself a tool; there are plenty of threads discussing the options and merits of the various options.

As for oil pan, I don't know your specific setup, but since the 3.0 and 3.4 blocks are basically the same, if the setup on your 3.0 works with your SAS, then swap that over to the 3.4 and you should be fine.

I'll assume you have the factory IFS oil pan, in which case go buy an oil pickup for 95-97 T100, 3.4, 4x4, PN 15104-62070 (this will fit the 3.0 IFS pan with stock 3.4 baffle), then buy the dipstick and tube for the same T100 application PNs 15301-62060 (dipstick) and 11452-62060 (dipstick guide/tube).
Old 02-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Yeah I'm not too concerned about torqueing the bolt. I figure as soon as it is in and bolted to the transmission I can hit it then. I have a 5" spring in the front and I had switched to All pro springs that shoved the axle even further forward so I'm not sweating running the 3.0 pan. Thanks for the info though Sac! I pulled those same part numbers from mt goats thread. Just ordered those parts today through the dealer.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:54 PM

So haven't had a ton of time to get much done on the engine while its on the stand but did get the rest of the parts I would need to have the 3.4L ready to drop in possibly this weekend. I plan on pulling the 3.0 this weekend and shipping the rest of the harness parts up to cliff at Toyota only Swaps on Monday. Ill also be shipping him my cross over pipe. He already received my T100 ECM and harness. I cant wait to get the harness back but Im sure Ill have many little projects to do in the mean time. Ive been finding that it hasn't been much of a cost to buy most parts from the dealer. Little things like the camshaft bolt, valve cover gaskets, and dipstick parts. Plus they deliver to my work the next day most of the time. Its kinda bitter sweet knowing that this weekend Ill be tearing apart an engine that has gotten me through nasty mud holes and helped me find my way back home in some nasty storms. I hope to have it back up and running within 4 weeks which is how long they will need to build the harness. I have more pictures but Ill be honest its a pain in the butt to get them on here. I'm using photobucket but it seems to have changed a bit and I think it sucks now.
Old 03-04-2016, 08:47 PM

Name:  B3B3C637-871C-4007-BCB7-ED6B67C448D3.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  489.3 KB
A few new things from Toyota
Old 03-04-2016, 08:50 PM

THE WORK SPACE
Old 03-05-2016, 01:21 PM

So quick question since I cant ask cliff at Toyota Only Swaps till Monday, Does anyone know if he will need any of the wiring harness of the 3.4 motor? What im talking about is the part that plugs into the fuel injectors? That whole piece? cause if not id like to complete putting the top end together. I plan on taking apart the 3.0 today and pulling it completely tomorrow. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM

Got more work done today and this last weekend. Finally made the move and pulled the harness out of the 93. I will admit I hot-rodded that engine around town the last couple weeks just cause I knew it was its last hoorah. Sending in the last pieces that Cliff at TOS will need to finish the wiring harness. Also sent in the crossover pipe to have him mod it for me. Got the radiator pulled and just getting the little things taken off the 3.0 so hopefully I can get it pulled this weekend. I think Ill try to pull it without dropping the transmission.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:04 PM

Name:  457C001D-5D26-4429-9448-DE8F9AC2F5F1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  237.2 KB
The last bath for a while
Name:  F2B312CF-7504-40B0-AC1D-A3256A343C6C.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  331.2 KB
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 PM

Also decided its time to clean up the inside while I had I partially apart.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:35 PM

Old 03-20-2016, 12:37 PM

So a whole new carpet kit was ordered. It looks great. extremely close to the factory color which was kinda hard to pick out online. came with all pieces needed to do the full interior floor.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 PM

going to take the seats down to an upholstery shop tomorrow and see what it will cost to have them recovered. I'm sure most out there have torn cloth on the drivers seat on the edge so I'm going to see if they can make that a little more sturdy. I think I found a good shop out here in Roseville that comes highly recommended while having a decent price.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM

Old 03-24-2016, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by wolfrunner
Alright I figured there are quite a bit of swap write ups on here but I've read most of them and learned something from each one. So that leads me to believe that maybe me writing up my own might just help someone along the way in the future. Also it seems like most pictures are gone from the older posts (which really sucks) so I will try to post as many pictures as possible. Any and all comments are welcome and tips will be taken into account. I will admit it is a little tough to know exactly what is the right way or easiest way to do this based on all I have read so the best way to find out is to just jump into it and go at it.

My Runner is a 1993 3.0 powered 4x4 with around 240,000 miles on it and an auto trans. It has a straight axle and 5.29 gears so I am looking forward to more power! I am going to stick with the factory auto at this time. Mainly due to liking the auto and wanting to keep the interior as stock looking as possible and not wanting to convert to man. trans. (at this time, maybe in the future) The trans will be getting pulled and rebuilt.

Then comes the good deal: The donor rig was owned by a buddy who took great care of it but a month ago hit black ice in Washington state and rolled it on its side. Its a 1997 4x4 M/T. He bought it back from the insurance who totaled it and gave me the engine, exhaust, harness, and whatever else I wanted FOR FREE!!! Big shout out to Will B. !!!! So here I have a perfectly running 3.4 and most of what I need. My Runner is tabbed in Washington and will be keeping its plates and registration so no need to make it California legal (even though I'm here for a few more years).

So after about 3 weeks of planning and arranging time off to get up to Washington I finally have the engine here in California and on an engine stand. I figured no better time to replace the timing belt, water pump, and do some basic work on it while its out of the rig. I decided not to do the wiring myself and have decided to go with Cliff at Toyota Only Swaps. He was very polite and returned my calls every time.

Donor Runner
Getting it home after shipping it Across 2 states

My Baby!
Man that thing look good. Nice runner!!