3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Wiring Question

Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wiring Question

I need help matching up these wires. I cant read wire diagrams for SHEET. can someone who has does this swap help me by matching the wires by color? The 3.4 is a 2000 5speed and the 3.0 is a 91 5speed. Body harness. Thanks Wiring Question-wiring.jpg Wiring Question-wiring2.jpg
Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your goal with the wiring diagrams is to find the function on the 3.0 dash harness and match it with the 3.4 engine side harness.

As an example, you find the wire that reads the stop light switch on the dash side. Find the corresponding wire on the 3.4 harness and solder them together.

Trace what each pin does, find its counterpart and go from there. Some wires don't have a counterpart, though. Take your time and be patient.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 AM

thank for the reply but thats just the problem...i cant figure out which ones are which... i know i have to connect the corresponding wires but how do i determine which wire is for what? thanks again for any info
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were in the portland area, i could help you out. From what i know, toyota changed the wiring pins, and or colors of wires in various years. So from what i understand, what i may have done, might not work on your rig, and visa versa.

question 1) did you download the sheets that give you the connector pinouts, this will show the connector, and the number assignment of each pin. The 91's can be found in the "ground and splice point" near the bottom of the document. Your looking for c1 and c2.

The tacoma can be found under the same name, "ground and splice points". your looking for II1, and II3.

Next print out at a minimum the engine, staring/ignition, and the gauge wiring diagrams.
Tape the ecu diagrams together, so you have a bigger picture of everything. Do the same with the starting/ignition, and the gauge diagrams. I would also print out the pages that show the pinouts of the connectors.

Next pick a wire, something simple, lets pick the ignition wire, on the 91 side it should be in the upper left corner of your engine diagram, mine was a black/red wire. If you follow that over it goes to a connector c1(pin 14 for me) If you follow the one on the tacoma, it should go over to II3(mine was pin8) which happened to be black and red also. So here we have the old side and the new side. So i then wrote down, C1-14 goes to II3-8, include each color of wire when you write it down. Then i would look at my connector sheet, verify the wires were in the correct place, put a piece of tape on it, and move on.

Before i started i highlighted all the connectors, the c1, and c2, and the II1, and II3, once i wrote down a combo of wires, i would put a check by each one showing me i had accounted for it,

I hope this helps a little?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Thank you so much Skunk that helps out a lot. I just need to figure out how to identify my plugs on the diagram. Like which wires are to which plugs but i think i am figuring it out. Thanks again for taking the time reply same goes for you Rob.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
go to the Toyota TIS site and download diagrams for both vehciles and then use Acrobat or something to search for the wires you are looking for and then label everything by the wires function.

Outside of using Toyota TIS you are just guessing a bit. Worth the $15 and you can also grab the troubleshooting diagrams for your 3.4 so you have them
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like dntsdad said, Toyota's Techinfo site is the best money you'll spend on this swap. Go in there and download everything you can for both vehicles.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by sam4runner
Thank you so much Skunk that helps out a lot. I just need to figure out how to identify my plugs on the diagram. Like which wires are to which plugs but i think i am figuring it out. Thanks again for taking the time reply same goes for you Rob.

they will show you a picture so you can identify the plugs, there is another area that will tell you where the plugs are in relation to the body of the vehicle(s). That way you no you are in the right area.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Wiring Question-dscf7082.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what plug this is? I have figured out the other three just not this one. On the Diagram this one does not match up. Thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 04:50 PM

It is off the 3.4 dash harness and plugs into the computer.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM

I t looks like the whats called the "e12" "h" plug for the auto, or whats called the
"e8" "d" plug on manual vehicles.

Things like, the power from the efi relay, obd2 port, ac amplifier, add indicator switch, and more wire to this plug.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM

that is indeed what it is. That is actually the only plug going to the ECM that gets spliced with existing 3.0 wiring. On my auto everything else came from the motor/trans untouched

Originally Posted by skunkwhat
I t looks like the whats called the "e12" "h" plug for the auto, or whats called the
"e8" "d" plug on manual vehicles.

Things like, the power from the efi relay, obd2 port, ac amplifier, add indicator switch, and more wire to this plug.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:47 PM

okay thanks both you guys. Is that what it is called on the Diagrams?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:18 PM

nevermind i see it now thanks guys
Old 02-21-2010, 04:45 PM

I cant recommend enough getting the full version of Adobe Acrobat to help you. You can get the 30 day trial version from adobe.com.

That way you can search the pdf files for C1 or II3 or whatever and let Acrobat find all the instances of that wire in the truck and what they do. Thats what I did and I had everything labeled with its function in no time. The free Adobe Reader doesn't let you search

then its just matching them up and decided what is needed and what isnt.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree with the guys on the plug. Looks like a body plug. IH2, I think. Here is my thread. Wiring starts on this page and goes from there. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...13/index4.html
Old 02-21-2010, 07:15 PM

I dont know Yoda. I think that we are correct. Thats the same plug I had in my 97 auto.

Last edited by dntsdad; 02-21-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm. According to that diagram your right. Then there is also a plug on the 3.0 body plug that is wht. and looks exactly like that. But notice how the diagram says A/T next to that. He stated that he has M/T for both the vehicles. As do I.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:41 PM

I think in the overall wiring diagram they call it something different than what they call it in the ecu only diagram. Also the white plug on my body harness had 20 pins(c2) not 28 like the above plug. It is funny how he has that plug if he has a manual harness. Well im confused now.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Well i think i found it... But on a diagram for a 2001, which the truck was a 2000. But on the 2001 diagram it is shown as E5 or A on the engine module. I am still trying to figure it out but with time i know i will get it. Thanks to dntsdad for the hint on acrobat, i got that and it helps out quite a bit. I do have one questions though. Do i basically have the right idea? Like my first pic, the small connector that goes to the computer on both vehicles basically go together? Same with the bigger one that plugs in the harness? or is there going to be wiring on one that will be on another(wire on little plug that might be on the Bigger plug) or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks to everyone helping out and dealing with my maybe obvious questions. Thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wiring Question