3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

wiring help/possible build thread....22re --> 5vz

Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring help/possible build thread....22re --> 5vz

First off, Ive been searching and doing alot of research for the past couple of the weeks and I have been familiarized with the overall wiring theory. Unfortunately, most of what Ive read is 3.0 -> 5vz.

I currently have a 1985 22re 5spd 4x4. My donor vehicle is a 1998 4runner automatic 2wd. I was/am able to get ahold of the ecu, harness and all plugs.

I almost have all of the 5vz wires labeled and ready to splice, but I am having a hard time finding a pin out for the 2 body harness plugs on the 22re harness. I am hoping that I simply missed a thread containing this info or I overlooked something.

If someone can provide info/link/anything that will help me to figure out what each function/wire is on the two yellowish looking body harness plugs on the 22re harness is, it will be greatly appreciated. Heck, I am even willing to paypal someone if they can help me out with a cheat sheet of some sort.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM

The truck the swap is going into is this.

Being in Hawaii, find rust free/clean toyotas is very rare. Thus when I came across the truck pictured, I called the guy on craigslist and set a flight the next day to cali, lol. Luckily I have an awesome wife and she gave me the go ahead and even came with me. We arrived in LA and went to look at the truck. It was everything I wanted and more. I couldn't believe how clean and original the truck was besides the suspension modifications. Ive never seen a truck this clean before, the interior was immaculate and it was 98% rust free.

I bought the truck and then made a one hour drive to riverside where we were staying. The next day we did a 3 hour drive to LA so we could ship the truck home. I was crossing my fingers that the truck wouldnt break down, because if it did, I would be screwed! I have very little contacts in LA and I would be stuck. Fortunately, we made it without any mechanical hitch, even in the LA traffic! I did get pulled over from the freeway patrol because registration was expired, lol. I told him the story that i was from hawaii and I am shipping it back home etc etc, and the officer was nice enough to let me go.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 AM

Current state of the motor at our shop. We got almost everything stripped and now I am just waiting on the timing belt, water pump, gaskets etc etc. I figure it would be much easier to change out these things while the motor is out.

In the back is my lexus sc300 that we built. Not too bad for a street car, put down 808whp and has full interior and ac. Ive contemplated putting that 2jz into my truck, but I think it would be a little much, lol.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 PM

very clean truck! , Im just starting a 94 22re to 3.4 swap. not very many threads on doing it that go into alot of detail, Ill be watching yours for ideas
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice swap candidate. You should simply download the FSM for your truck. Am I missing something?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM

thanks. I will try and double check for a 1985 22re fsm download, at least for the electrical side. If any others have ideas or input, Ill be glad to hear them, thanks!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 AM

got a little bit of progress made today.

got the 22re and trans pulled and cleaned up the engine bay.

and got the 3.4 situated where we wanted it to sit

also got the crossover pipes made. since its a 85 sas frame, it was a little tight, but we managed to make it work on the first try without having the engine in the truck, lol. we got lucky.

tomorrow we are going to install the trans and get the crossmember made. Also hope to install radiator, fan and shroud. Maybe get some of the wiring done also.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 AM

sorry for the huge pics.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Huge pics are fine! Those are some spiffy looking welds on the crossover. JasonD did a great 22re to 3.4 swap here on YT right here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...z-swap-126413/ in case you haven't seen it.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:48 PM

just a bit of an update, sorry no pics. Very tired from working on the truck 36 hours straight lol. Got it started and everything runs great. Still got a little bit of wiring to do such as AC and tach, but other than that it starts fine, idles good and we got to drive it around a bit. SOOOOOO much more better than the 22re I had. Part throttle power is awesome and the engine is so much smoother.

My buddy did the exhaust work and the custom ac lines. Ill try and get some pics later on. Hpefully we can get the hood cut today so I can bring the truck home.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:19 PM

sure didnt waste any time!, wish i could get the wiring figured out myself
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 PM

we tried to get it done as fast as we could. Started on friday night, got the 22re and trans out and cleaned out the engine bay. Also made the cross over pipe. You guys weren't kidding when you say its a little tight with the 85 sas frame, lol. Clearance between trans and frame rail is pretty minimal.

saturday we prepped the 3.4 and got it to sit. later in the day I went to pick up the 3.0 trans/clutch/flywheel, etc etc and we got that mocked up and mounted. Then there was the tsunami warning. Instead of going to higher ground, we stayed and continued on the truck, lol. I know it was pretty dumb to do so, but worse case we are in a 3 story steel re-inforced cement building. We could have easily ran to the roof top.

sunday we fabbed up the exhaust, power steering, ac lines, fuel lines and got to work on the wiring. Being that there isnt too much info on the 1985 22re wiring, there was alot of tracing of wires and reading and a bunch of dumb moments, lol. I was able to figure most everything out with the help of my friends and made a little cheat sheet.

heading back to the shop in a little bit to deal with the hood clearance, making the ac work, wiring up the tach and going over everything again.

Still need to order a cable driven speed sensor, as the trans I had was electronic.

If there is any questions, please let me know and I will try to answer them, and hopefully be able to help out anyone who was in my situation.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 PM

quick question, does the ecu need to see a speed signal? I currently do not have the speedometer hooked up, but the truck seems to run without no problems. ?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:49 AM

quick update....

installed gen2 trd supercharger and urd 7th injector kit. i was really surprised at how much more power this setup puts out, lol. Im very happy with how it drives and I am now thinking about putting a smaller pulley and a short shift kit to tighten up the shifter slop.

tomorrow gonna be installing the hood scoop. and hopefully within a few months get the truck resprayed the original color and have the factory graphics put back on.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
NICE! Great job and pretty darn fast. I'm impressed. I'm in the early stages of my 88 22RE to 99 3.4 swap. Still stripping the donor vehicle and gathering parts.

Any pics of your A/C and power steering lines? I was wondering if Russel or Earle's made fittings that would work for the steering hose. What did you use?

Did you use the 3.4 compressor and just re hose and crimp to the 85 lines? I'm in AZ and this is my DD so I want A/C.

Was it easier to just use a 3.0 flywheel and clutch? ORS says I can use a 3.4 flywheel and clutch with a 3.0 TO bearing. It looks awful tight in my pre 95 bellhousing. I also have what looks like the thick flywheel. I have seen pics of a thinner one for a 3.4. Still trying to work this out too.

Post up pics of that hood scoop and paint when you're done. Thanks for documenting this 22RE swap. Us 22RE guys appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM

sorry for the lack of updates and pics. Ill just chime in on some recent updates, and I can go more in depth with pics and info when I get home from work.

-installed the urd fuel/timing piggy back. no more pinging at low throttle. also the truck is alot smoother and power is nice.

-installed 2.2 pulley. I don't have a boost gauge, but mid and top end full throttle feels faster.

-installed walbro pump.

I can get pics my ac lines when I get home. I am using the 3.4 compressor and basically what I did was weld my 22re lines to the fitting side of the 3.4 lines. works like a charm, very cold ac.

for the power steering, I have a temporary setup for now. I took the return and high pressure lines from the 3.4 and just bent them into the shape and route that was needed. everything pretty much bolted up.

for the clutch setup I used a 3.4 flywheel and flywheel bolts and 3.4 clutch and pressure plate. the throw out bearing was from a 3.0. everything fit fine and installed without a hitch. I used the 22re clutch slave and hard lines also and everything bolted up.

the hood, I kind of had to butcher, lol. My cut outs are pretty tight to the interference that the supercharger makes, and without a scoop, the cut outs are pretty big. I ended up going with the tacoma/4runner 3d hood from ebay. I have not installed it yet, but we mocked it up. The scoop will have to sit at a little offset to the drivers side in order to cover everything. this is fine with me, as I am more of a function over form kinda guy.

any other questions, just ask. If I have an answer or input, I will try.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 PM

I'd really like to see some pics of your A/C lines if you ever get a chance. Lets see some pics of the hood too.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM

nice build!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 PM

Hey I know this thread is a little old but I have the same swap in my 85 4runner and I have a vehicle speed sensor cel. I want it gone! What did you have to do to get a speed sensor signal to the 3.4 ecu? I've heard that an 87-88 v6 cluster will fix this issue but I can't find a manual truck cluster.... Any help would be great
Y appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-08-2014, 05:53 AM

Mcd083, Not sure if this helps or not but my 88 4cyl cluster had a wire that was for a speed signal to the ECM.

I used it for the 3.4 ECM too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiring help/possible build thread....22re --> 5vz