3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Why can't the 3.4 motor mounts be used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't the 3.4 motor mounts be used?

When swapping the 3.4 in place of the 3.0, everybody says to use the 3.0's motor mounts and install them on the 3.4. Aside for the fact that the 3.0 mounts are cast and the 3.4's are steel, what is the difference between the two? The only reason I ask is because I'm having a horrible time removing the passenger side mount from the 3.0 and wondered if people say to re-use the 3.0 mounts because that's one less thing you have to shop for in the event your donor 3.4 doesn't come with any mounts. My 3.4 has the mounts so is there any reason I can't use them?

Last edited by Taco Burrito; 06-10-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked to see which mounts fit your frame better? Just throwing out ideas...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 PM

If you're referring to the bolt holes, they're identical. Even the triangulated/angled cut-out shape of them are the same. I quit working on it for tonight, but there's gotta be some reason why every person said to use the 3.0 mounts. Unfortunately NONE of them said why to re-use them.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
They are not the same and the brackets are angled more. They cannot be used. You may be able to modify the rubber pad part but I only remember that it was not a bolt on deal.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 AM

I used the 3.4 mounts when I did my swap, got about 20k on it since then and they are doing fine. I dont remember any real big deals with getting them on, but the 3.4 mounts were the only ones that I had (it was a 22re)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jasond
I used the 3.4 mounts when I did my swap, got about 20k on it since then and they are doing fine. I dont remember any real big deals with getting them on, but the 3.4 mounts were the only ones that I had (it was a 22re)

I would think that this is because you came from a 4cyl. you had to fab your mounts from sscratch on the frame so the angle really didnt matter as you adapter to the angle of the 3.4 mounts.

When coming from the 3.0 and using the factory mounts on the frame, the 3.4 mounts will be the wrong angle and not bolt up. If you want to refab the frame you can use whatever you want.

If you have the 3.0, and want a bolt up solution to dropping in the 3.4, you are going to have to use the 3.0 mounts.

What issues are you having with removing the mount??
Old 06-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
I would think that this is because you came from a 4cyl. you had to fab your mounts from sscratch on the frame so the angle really didnt matter as you adapter to the angle of the 3.4 mounts.
Um, no, not really. I welded the 3.0 mounts to my frame. Yep, I bought the mounts from toyota, removed my upper control arms, cut the 22r mounts off and welded the factory 3.0 mounts on.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by jasond
Um, no, not really. I welded the 3.0 mounts to my frame. Yep, I bought the mounts from toyota, removed my upper control arms, cut the 22r mounts off and welded the factory 3.0 mounts on.

Ah. You surely didn't use the stock angle though. Assuming you set the angle to match whatever the 3.4 mounts were?

I cant see how anyone could use the stock 3.4 mounts on the block in the 3.4 frame with the angle differences so drastic, but I haven't any swaps but my own so if it works.......................
Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM

What issues are you having with removing the mount??
I got the mount removed, but now I've come across another problem in that it does not "install without any modifications" like the write-ups that I have read.

The problem is the passenger side engine block mount. The lower-forward hole shares a bolt with the A/C pump bracket (red arrow, 1st pic). The motor mount is supposed to be sandwiched between the engine block and the A/C bracket (2nd pic). There is only about 5/32-inch of space. The 3.4 mount is 5/32-inch thick and the 3.0 mount is 1/2-inch thick! (3rd pic)

I'm not gonna pretend that I've read all of the write-ups for this swap, but I can't find the answer anywhere to how previous people dealt with this (or if they had to deal with it).

Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 PM

This is what i did. Works perfect.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:03 PM

I can't tell if I'm looking at camera glare or not, but did you just grind down the entire outer surface of the mount until it was thin enough to fit behind the A/C bracket? And can you confirm that yours too was 1/2" thick like mine.

I see that you also cut a notch out to clear the tube thingy. I was already anticipating that part, but it just seems strange that no other person who did this swap has mentioned that their passenger side 3.0 motor mount needed to be modified in order for it to fit.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Just swapped a 97 3.4 motor and trans into a 95 4Runner and we used the 3.0 motor mounts on the 3.4 and I don't remember there being any issues. Bolted right up.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 PM

I didn't grind the mounting flange where the bolt hole is; at least I don't remember that. It's been a while but I would have remembered that I would think.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Oh great, so it's just my luck I get the one Toyota engine in which a "direct swap" for the motor mounts isn't a direct swap. Perfect!!!!
Can you guys at least see by my photos that I'm not crazy and overlooking something obvious? Does anyone have some 3.4 mounts sitting around so they can compare one to the picture of mine above?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My bud Jon says that motor mount needs to slide behind the ac bracket. Might have to loosen compressor and possibly ac bracket.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would mill it down or shim up the ac bracket with a couple washers
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM

Is that a press in bushing in the hole, or is it actually that thick?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:25 AM

Weird all of my swaps, I have not had a single issue. Everything bolt's up exactly how it should. But I thought the motor mount sits on the outside of the ac bracket? I will look at mine tonight. Because you really DON'T use the 3.4 bracket's. You have to use the 3.0, and it IS a bolt on situation.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
My bud Jon says that motor mount needs to slide behind the ac bracket. Might have to loosen compressor and possibly ac bracket.
That's correct, it slides behind the A/C bracket which is a problem because the mount is over 2x too thick to fit behind that bracket. If I loosen all 6 or 7 bolts that hold the A/C stuff on in an effort to make the space to fit, then the A/C bracket will not bolt back in place "square" or "flush" against the engine block, if that makes sense. It would be like trying to bolt a sheet of steel against a flat surface, but sticking a half-inch washer under one of the bolts. Just won't work.

Is that a press in bushing in the hole, or is it actually that thick?
It's not a bushing. Both 3.0 engine block mounts are a single piece of cast iron.

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i would mill it down or shim up the ac bracket with a couple washers
If I shim up the A/C compressor bracket, it's gonna need a LOT of washers. See the pic from the FSM. It's held on with 6 or 7 bolts. Not to mention if it requires that much shimming, then all the belts need to be re-tentioned.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just slap it in the vise and grind it down to your 3.4 mount thickness and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Why can't the 3.4 motor mounts be used?