3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Whitey's 3.4 hour tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitey's 3.4 hour tour

Hey swappers. I don't tend to post much since I can generally find whatever I need with a little searching and without having to bug anybody. But since I've got my swap 95% completed in a matter of days using almost exclusively information from the yotatech 3.4 section, I figured I'd post my findings and maybe help someone else out down the road.

Name:  NCM_0221_zpsrsebu1ws.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  177.3 KB

I've had a lot of Toyotas over the years. Whitey Lewis is my most recent '89 Xtra Cab Pickup. I've had great luck with the old 3vze in the past, and this one was no exception until it started the typical rod knock a month or two ago. Luckily the 3.4 gears had already been turning for a while in my head, for some reason I knew this 3.0 wasn't going to hold up. It had barely turned 190k when I pulled it a few days ago.

I happened to find a local YT member who was selling his project '94 4runner, complete with 3.4 and most of a SAS. As quickly as I could I headed south to pick it up and get rolling. The Runner was almost too nice to pick parts off it, but I had to do it. I still am sitting on the shell because the body and interior is way too nice to send to the scrapper.

Name:  8A3147E6-5069-407B-BA88-DC6CB17BC5DD_zpsexlci8dv.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  84.6 KB

So I lucked out, the 3.4 already had the proper oilpan/pickup/dipstick, an almost complete driver's side crossover pipe, completed wiring (unfortunately wouldn't work with my truck), new plugs and a fresh oil change. I threw new seals and timing belt kit at it and we were ready to rock. The only downside was the auto harness and ECU, which I figure I'll make work for the time being until I can find a manual one that doesn't cost as much as the truck.

So I accumulated the last of the parts I would need, changed the timing belt stuff and crank seals last week, and drove the 3.slow into the shop one last time on Thursday afternoon. The motor was *almost* out in couple hours if not for a pilot bearing-stuck-to-transmission snafu that burned up an hour or two of cursing and prying and sweating. But it was free! And it resulted in my having to pull the trans as well which was actually kind of handy in the long run.

Of course I took this time to dutifully scrub Whitey's engine bay to a spotless shiny work of art. (just kidding, though I think I did pick a couple leaves and a dead bug out from under where the mass of vacuum hoses and switches once lived.)

Name:  16740037-FFA8-4959-9572-BC55AAA6A35B_zpslsykraop.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  87.2 KB

More on the next post...
Old 03-09-2015, 07:04 PM

So, Mike, the PO of the 4runner project, had made this amazing adapter harness. Like hundreds of yards of shrinkwrap, and labels, and tape, all bundled into these perfect little legs for each respective plug, and and OBDII plug, and I don't even know what else. Too bad the wiring, specifically the two body harness plugs, were completely different between the '94 4runner and my '89 pickup. I should've taken that harness and sold it to some lucky chap on here doing the same swap. But that's not what I did. Instead, I spent basically two entire evenings un-doing everything that Mike had to have spent years putting together. Sorry Mike.

I would have thought having a 3.4/3.0 harness all put together like that would at least be of some help. But it really wasn't, practically speaking it was basically necessary (at least in my brain) to start from square one with the pinout for my truck and the EWD's for the '98 4runner donor that Mike also so graciously supplied me.
Also, I was having some difficulty finding the '89 EWD's since TIS only goes back to '90. I did however find this thread from a couple months ago that potentially had most of the information I needed: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...50-ecu-285935/

He included the pinouts for a '90 4runner that matched his '89 and looked like they matched mine too. I would just have to roll the dice and assume his pinouts were pretty close and if so I would be off the hook for tracking down the actual EWD's for my truck. It should be noted that I do have access to wiring diagrams on Mitchell's prodemand site, but their layout is different enough to make using them for the purposes of a motor swap fairly difficult.

After a couple nights of staring at the wiring diagrams, this is what my dining room table looked like: (actually it looked much worse, and with a great deal more empty beer cans in the immediate area)

So anyway, I was feeling OK about my understanding of the wiring and was at least sort of confident that I could get the thing fired up and work out the details...later. My wife was not neglecting to mention that we were taking the truck on a road trip for spring break for the last week of March. Not crazy crunch time, but I didn't have time to make cocktails either.

To speed things up here:

Thursday
: Yank 3.0 and trans and hide 3.0 in corner.
Friday: Go skiing, drink beer
Saturday: Finish crossover, swap starter harness, install clutch, stick 3.4 and trans back in truck, throw away vacuum hoses
Sunday: Figure out intake, battery, evap, cooling, throw away more vacuum hoses. And switches. Iron out wiring and plug in my now wire-nutted harness adapter. Turn key! It runs! Well...for 5 seconds then shuts down. I tell myself this happens to everyone. Finish terrible homemade exhaust, buy guinness and make vroom vroom noises at home.
Monday (today): Fight with exhaust a little more, tidy up some evap stuff, good enough for now. Try a couple things with wiring.

Here is a terrible photo of a Toyota truck with a half-way completed motor swap. Enjoy.

So here I am right now. It fires up like a boss until it runs out of fuel and dies. Seems like standard 3.4 teething pains. I can watch the fuel pump get power during crank, and then turn off. I jumped the FP at the COR just as a test and it runs like a champ. Even took it for a rip around town, hoodless, rat's nest wiring and all. Went great other than having a huge bubble in the cooling system, will look at that tomorrow AM.

I really wanted to just stumble on the one-mixed-up-wire solution without even having to post. But alas, my impatience won and here I am.

I am *pretty* sure the COR stuff is correct, at least according to the swap 101 page. I'm using 3.0 COR, it worked when I drove it in on Thursday and I have a spare that also seems to work properly. I have my starter trigger running to the ECU. MAF has 12v and all wiring at MAF plug looks/feels good. Same with Igniter. No obvious vacuum leaks, using stock airbox. Not sure if it matters, but I have both o2s hooked up and all the evap stuff. No cat, CEL is on, but it will be anyway since I'm running an auto ECU. I have't yet hooked a scanner to it but I will tomorrow. Do you think it's a good idea to run the rear o2 unplugged until I get a cat or an o2 simulator?
Again, it runs great with the fuel pump jumped.

Has anyone had trouble with the a/c belt alignment with 3.0 compressor and swapped pulley? Mine doesn't stand a chance, the compressor pulley is like 1/2" towards the rear of the car compared to the tensioner and crank pulley. What gives?

I'll come up with some better pictures of trucks and engines and stuff tomorrow.

Last edited by Fraser; 03-09-2015 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:55 AM

Nice work!

I'm also curious about what folks think about the 2nd O2 sensor with no Cat.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:52 PM

Got the cooling system burped today and life is good. Ended up switching fans with one from the 3.4, the 3.0 one was just grazing the shroud under torque. Swapped tachs with the one that Mike had already done the resistor mod to and it works like a charm.

Went ripping up one of our local passes at 80+ miles an hour- definitely never possible with the old wheezy 3.0. Here are some random pics.

I went with stock airbox:
Name:  81FB1553-5B5F-46BF-9E3B-836D16F7FF10_zpsq3ddzq8g.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  231.6 KB

Relocated the battery and made a quick and dirty bracket for the evap:
Name:  FB42555D-02B1-46A8-84C5-3B0643094E39_zpsvvpgzxdm.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  238.8 KB

Typical hood cut, I'll work on a little bump or scoop this weekend:
Name:  A427819F-319A-4EC6-84C7-AB13562DDD38_zpshptnbzqm.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  168.4 KB

Still running with the fuel pump jumpered at the COR, gonna spend some time staring at the EWD's again tonight to see what I've missed. I've gone over all the basics and tried every solution from every other thread with the same "starts and runs for 5 seconds" problem. I'm sure it's something simple. I'm anxious to get my harness buttoned up and tucked away before it becomes an even worse rat's nest.

I need to figure out my A/C belt alignment too so I can make sure it's wiring is good also. I'll make a separate thread for that, what a head scratcher.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:21 PM

Nice work on the swap. Have you checked the how to AC in the 3.4 section?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
Nice work on the swap. Have you checked the how to AC in the 3.4 section?

I have, in fact I just got done reading the whole thread all over again. I can grasp the wiring, but I'm struggling with the very basic problem of the compressor not aligning with the crank and tensioner pulleys. Strange...
Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 AM

Did you swap the pulleys like in the thread? Which compressor are you running?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:37 AM

It's the original 3.0 compressor with swapped pulley. It's almost like the length of the compressor itself is a little shorter?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:27 AM

Wiring is legit, COR issue resolved! I spent a couple hours going through all my connections again last night and straightened it out. For some reason the g-y COR wire was getting power? Moved a couple connections around and it's working properly now with no jumper. Now I can finally solder everything up and say goodbye to the ball of wire in the passenger footwell!

Whitey is happy.
Name:  9CBC49F5-9780-421B-A683-6C1C1DB7176C_zpslizstlmc.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  281.5 KB

I'll hook the scantool to it tonight to see if any other codes are being thrown other than the auto trans stuff.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:32 AM

Got all the wiring tidied up last Thursday. Ran codes and was clear other than the trans stuff. Which is interesting since I don't have a cat and my exhaust is terrible and leaky.

Truck is running great! I put a couple hundred miles on it over the weekend in order to build some confidence before we take it to the desert next week. Pulled 20.2 mpg on one fill up. I'm really happy with that.

Still haven't come up with a solution for my A/C debacle. Looks like I'll start looking for a 3.4 compressor.