3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Are these prices outrageous or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Engine warranties never cover the labor so if you have pay to have the engine removed and reinstalled it gets quite expensive.

I always tell worst case scenario to people because most will complain even worse if you don`t
Old 03-08-2014, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, everyone, I feel today is going to be a good productive day for me after reading everyone's posts. You all give me hope and are leading me in the right direction.

Donomite, I will check out that engine on that site and find out the details and see how the guarantee goes. And yes I do understand about the new clutch, timing belt and water pump. As the neighbor who can do the job said he won't put in the engine without getting these new parts and do it while the engine is out. If I have to go to town and buy the parts, no problem, I can do that. He was pretty emphatic that he said that if I keep searching I can find a used motor for 600 to 800 at a salvage place. Just have to keep searching.

Do have a question.....one of the quotes from a shop in town quoted me 2900 for a 3.0 motor....How is it that you can find them on the internet for the 1500 to 2000 and he be so much more in money? Do shops make that much profit on motors?

Fgz and Wyoming I will check further on the warrantee to see what it does cover with Southwest. Though I did call them and asked the salesman Bill again if the motor should fail down the road, does their warrantee cover taking out the engine and again and reinstalling again and they said yes. But I have to pay 95.00 extra for that coverage....but maybe I better read the FINE PRINT! again.

This is all so mind boggling to me, you have no idea, but you guys have been so much help to me. Thanks for hanging in there and not skipping over my posts just because I'm not a man and don't know what I'm talking about much...but I'm learning and am getting my game plan in the works.

Although I only have 4200.00 to work with, I also need to keep in mind that I'm sure there are going to be other things to contend with that most likely will have to be addressed in getting the truck on the road, so I need to have some money set aside out of the 4200 to be able to pay for it.

Just a little something about the guy who can get my truck on the road......The reason I'm here, is because I am having to do all the footwork myself and because this neighbor of mine doesn't have a computer and doesn't have access to all the different companies out there. He wheels and deals with friends and salvage yards (and thats ok)...... I live in the mountains here and there are so many backwoods people who make a living doing this. Please don't get me wrong, as I'm not downing anyone what so ever. But this is what I have to deal with. This person really does know his business when it comes to vehicles as he works on vintage vehicles in his driveway. One day I had a problem with my clutch. He took the dashboard out of my truck in a matter of 15 minutes, had a 1000 bolts all strewn all over the driveway, he then welded something together, put my clutch back in, put the 1000 bolts all back in place in a matter of minutes and I had that truck back on the road within 2 hours....Impressive!
And all for free! lol..... I did go and get him a 30 pack though......least I could do!

Geesh, I wished one of you were in my area that I could tow my truck to you and just say, "Ok, Joe, go at it and fix my baby" and be done with it. I could then be so at ease and know that I was in good hands and know that I wasn't going to be ripped off just because I was a woman who knows nothing about fixing a vehicle....

I'll be back and keep you updated and please keep all the leads and info coming to me to help me through this.

Thanks guys!

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-08-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by donomite49
whatever used engine you buy will need to have the timing belt and water pump replaced and you should get OEM original equipment manufacturers parts.

for toyota that is aisan and denso parts.

you can find these on E-Bay or amazon reasonable prices.
kits come with everything needed for regular timing belt and water pump maintenance with all belts and idler gear.
Hello Donomite,

Ok,.....You suggest I always get and OEM original equipment manufacturers parts paperwork. I don't know what that is. If I were to get a motor from a salvage yard, do I get that from them too or is it only on a new engine?

Geesh, there is so much leg work....I started out only wanting to go with a motor with a 3 year warrantee and now checking options of a junk yard one...I sure hope I make the right choice. But I'll check with you guys first and you can let me know yea or nea.......

The bright side here is when I first posted here, I started off with quotes of installing a rebuilt motor for the price of 6,550.00 and now I'm down to 800.00 for installing and maybe locating a motor from anywhere from 600.00 in a junk yard up to 1000.00 if I could find one or a rebuilt one for under 2,000.00 Things are looking up for me!

Trappeur
Old 03-08-2014, 06:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
You could always get a wrecked or rusted out toyota t100 with a 3.4 and you could get the whole truck for probably 1400 for the whole truck
Old 03-08-2014, 07:04 AM

What donomite was saying about oem parts was for the clutch, timing belt, and water pump. This just means that it's the same product that was kn the truck from the factory. You can get this from toyota or also can find them online. Aisin and denso are the primary company's used on our trucks.

Just keep looking and you'll find what you need. Just because you're not a man doesn't mean anything. You can learn just as much as any of us. My gf has never worked on anything before but she now helps 100% of the time whole working on our truck. She has learned a lot in tha past 6 months. You should defiantly try to help your neighbor and see if maybe he will help you learn. So next time something comes up maybe you will feel confident enough to attempt it yourself.

There are also lots of other sites out there that could help. Pirate4x4 is a huge one with lots of info also. People may not be as friendly but you can read a lot there. Also you may be able to find a forum more specific to your area. I believe you are in GA. nfcruisereads.com is a site for people in north FL and its mainly land cruisers but someone may be in your area. Worth checking out.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM

If you have 4200 to work with you can easily do a 3.4 swap. You can swap cheap if you buy an engine from a private seller. Biggest thing would be the wiring. Myself and probably others will chip in the time to help you with the wiring.
Just a thought I have less then 3500 in my entire truck.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just remember that engine from japan from the link i posted is a motor that was taken out of service at or before 50k miles as per the law in japan.

you know a yota engine at 50k miles is just getting started.
the seller also had 100% positive feedback, a big factor to consider when buying online. positive feedback is their bread and butter.

there are lots of 3.0's that have 250 to 300kmiles on them.

without a doubt i would buy the low mileage toyota engine and be done with it for a long time.

i paid a lot of money for my 3.4 because it was a low mileage engine and it runs like new.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 AM

just remember that engine from japan from the link i posted is a motor that was taken out of service at or before 50k miles as per the law in japan.

you know a yota engine at 50k miles is just getting started.
the seller also had 100% positive feedback, a big factor to consider when buying online. positive feedback is their bread and butter.

there are lots of 3.0's that have 250 to 300kmiles on them.

without a doubt i would buy the low mileage toyota engine and be done with it for a long time.

i paid a lot of money for my 3.4 because it was a low mileage engine and it runs like new.
So would you say Donomite that that motor you put up on the link that was 1599.00 that I Iooked at would be a good choice for me to purchase? I'm going to many places searching and finding motors and for me it's like eeney meeny miny mo. The only thing that I can do is possibly put up links here for every one to see and advise me, yea or nea....You know what I mean? I don't want to sound rediculous but the truth of the matter is just that. I value and am reading deep into everyone's opinions as you are all the professionals. I most likely am going to have to get the 3.0 instead of the 3.4 because of $$$.

In a bit I'm going to walk over to my neighbor and pose that question of what he would charge for doing a swap. I'm going to take a wild guess and say he is going to say 1,500.00. I can just see him now rolling his eyes.... I know he can do it as last year he asked me what I thought of replacing with an entirely different motor which would be a big job for him but he could do it. The good thing about him is I can roll my truck out of my driveway literally to his driveway....only thing is, the tires seem to be locked and won't turn. Maybe that's going to be an extra issue....We shall see.

Oh another question? I was told that the only way a warrantee would be good is if only a CERTIFIED MECHANIC with a shop installed it.

I'm taking everyones advice believe me and am reading into everything, but I'm just so limited as I don't really understand much of anything I read...lol

I just wish someone would tell me, here you go, buy this one, give it to your mechanic and be done with it.

Thankyou everyone. I'll keep plugging along. But you all do give me hope and in 2 weeks with help from my sisters, I'll have the money to get my truck on the roll.

Trappeur
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Taco98
What donomite was saying about oem parts was for the clutch, timing belt, and water pump. This just means that it's the same product that was kn the truck from the factory. You can get this from toyota or also can find them online. Aisin and denso are the primary company's used on our trucks.

Just keep looking and you'll find what you need. Just because you're not a man doesn't mean anything. You can learn just as much as any of us. My gf has never worked on anything before but she now helps 100% of the time whole working on our truck. She has learned a lot in tha past 6 months. You should defiantly try to help your neighbor and see if maybe he will help you learn. So next time something comes up maybe you will feel confident enough to attempt it yourself.

There are also lots of other sites out there that could help. Pirate4x4 is a huge one with lots of info also. People may not be as friendly but you can read a lot there. Also you may be able to find a forum more specific to your area. I believe you are in GA. nfcruisereads.com is a site for people in north FL and its mainly land cruisers but someone may be in your area. Worth checking out.
Thanks Taco for answering that question about the oem.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
for 4200 i think i may be able to do two swaps.

You are going the most expensive route IMO. Buying just the parts.

Buying a wrecked donor will yield you parts to sell off. As Ihave said a bunch of times, I netted a profit from my swap by selling the rest of the $1800 4Runner that I bought. Auto trans $350, rear hatch $300, etc.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Everyone is getting all excited this Lady just wants to get her truck back on the road in the most economical way possible.

The 3.0 is what it is my 3.4 swap would run me into the poor house if every little glitch needed to be looked at by a mechanic.Who really had no idea what they were looking at.

Most people pay to get there cars worked on a the newer ones are even worse.

One has to weigh all the options figure out the best way to go.

Look at the warranties with a fine tooth comb it is real easy to wiggle out and say the problem was caused by user error .

She did say one company offered insurance for labor I would venture that would be only if the engine was found to be defective .
Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Your right about weighing all the options Craig as I now have it seems some more options that I wanted to address here and ask you all your opinions and then start wrapping things up...And it all revolves around what I'm able to afford and at the same time go for the best option with what I have to work with.

I did go to my neighbor mechanic as was suggested here to get more details and pricing on different options. I just came back and here is where it stands....
(I'm not even going to deal with the shops in town) as they are so expensive and they are in business to make money so they have to make a profit. But it won't be happening with me....lol

ok, here goes with my neighbor.
Before I go into some details when I got there I asked him point blank if he could and if he was capable of doing a 3.0 swap. He very firmly said he had no problem what so ever with doing any type of swap. He just said it all depends on what I could afford. He did say though, I should get another vehicle for what amount I would be spending $$$ on.

ok:
Option #1: Replace my 3.0 with another 3.0
Labor by him: 800.00
By me: Buy the engine (I like the one Donomite suggested
and his suggestions) - the japaneze one for
By me: He said I need to get a NEW clutch pak
(He also said it would run about 500.00 at any place
like Oreillys or Advance Auto.
Misc $$$$ I'm sure there will be extras.....

Option #2: 3.0 swapped for a 3.4 used with a warrantee
I really would like to be able to do this if I had any choice at
all but I believe its going to be more than I can afford.
The mechanic said I'm most likely looking at 5,000.00 by the time
I'm done.
His labor I thought was a good price....1,200.00 complete to do everything
including the new clutch.

I'll have to buy he said: Clutch Pad, fly wheel, spark plugs and wires, water pump, alternator, oil filter and oil, wiringing harness and I believe something that has to do with a compresser, I can't remember as I was writing everything down so fast as fast as he was talking that I couldn't even read my own writing.

Option #3: NOW THIS WAS VERY INTERESTING.....
He said if I don't do the 3.0 for another 3.0, to save money for
me, instead of going with swapping a 3.0 for a 3.4, how bout
swapping a 3.0 for a 4.3 v6 chevy engine..??????So what do you
think about that? He would charge from 800.00 to 1200 to do
this. He said the 4.3 engines are everywhere and could be found
for 300.00 and up depending on mileage. And to find one, I'd
have to make sure it comes with the harness, etc. Then I asked
about the radiator which is brand new that I have and then the
transmission. He said I'd have to check if my transmission would
bolt to a chevy....and probably have to replace the radiator.

So this was my mission and saga for today......

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-09-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM

True you can find chevy 4.3's cheap. The adapter to a toy trans isn't cheap.
I don't know of anybody on here that has swapped a 3.4 with a warranty, that's where your going to pay. And it would have to be a warranty that covers the engine being installed in a non 3.4 vehicle. 3.4's are not like the 3.0's find one that runs good and you will not have any problems. Ever see Tommy boy? You can put a warranty on anything, doesn't make it any good if it's broke again and your out of a vehicle.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 AM

Hi Jason,

Hmmmm, now an adapter? Ok I do understand that. You know what? I've made my decision. I've been searching and searching this forum and trying to figure out which direction I should go and do the right thing.

The 3.4 is really the way to go I can see that now. But with all things taken into consideration and what I have to work with financially, 4200.00 is going to have to be the deciding point, the only way that I can go. Yes, I can't do the labor so I do have to pay someone. My truck is basically a one owner truck, me the owner. I know where it has been - no accidents. In the 20 some years I've had it, the 3.0 served me well. I just have to have faith and get a rebuilt one and hope it works for me. What else can I do? Most everyone here says I will never regret on the 3.4 but if I take care of the maintenance properly on a 3.0 just maybe luck will ride with me. My neighbor/mechanic (Karl) I believe will do me right ( I sure hope so). I've been picking everyones brains here and have gotten great advice and hope in all directions. I know now what reputation the 3.0s have but I did luck out and have a good one that is sitting dead in the truck now.. It has 263,000 miles on it. Would you call that pretty decent b/4 it bit the dust? Oh, something really important that I never mentioned here...... the reason why it bit the dust....how stupid of me...It was in the dead of winter and a friend of mine went under the hood to do something or another and he never put antifreeze in the darn truck. Not long after that, the engine went. I did bring the truck to someone to see if it could be fixed but the engine was shooting water everywhere so I guess the engine block cracked.....I was told I could possibly have someone rebuild my engine...but can something like that be done now that it has a cracked block?

But in any event, another 3.0 I've decided is the way to go for me. I'll post my findings here to make sure I've got the right 3.0 for everyone to advise me on.
Thanks.....

I was just thinking something...

Dntsdad mentioned as well as some others, to check on getting a whole truck in a junkyard and I could have extra parts....I like that....ok, another mission.

I still like the engine that Donomite found for 1599.00 from Japan. I'll read all the fine print on that again.

Yes, Wyoming...you were right about the insurance part on the labor only if the motor was defective....

See? I'm listening and learning.

Please all, don't give up on me......lol I haven't yet...I've wanted to throw in the towel here so many times you won't believe. This is WORK! SHEESH!

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-10-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:25 AM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trappeur54
Oh, something really important that I never mentioned here...... the reason why it bit the dust....how stupid of me...It was in the dead of winter and a friend of mine went under the hood to do something or another and he never put antifreeze in the darn truck. Not long after that, the engine went. I did bring the truck to someone to see if it could be fixed but the engine was shooting water everywhere so I guess the engine block cracked.....I was told I could possibly have someone rebuild my engine...but can something like that be done now that it has a cracked block?
Yes this is definitely an important piece of info. Tell us what you mean by "the engine went" - did it overheat and completely lock up? Does it run but make horrible knocking sounds?

If you only had water (instead of the appropriate water/antifreeze mix) then a good overnight freeze could crack your block or blow out a freeze plug. Cracked block means that motor is not rebuildable. Blown out freeze plug is about a $30 fix for Karl. Both of these would spew water everywhere, assuming there is some water still in the radiator after that earlier work.

Now if the person under your hood left no or not enough water/antifreeze in, you could have overheated which could damage something like your head gasket or warp your head. Putting in a rebuilt head with new head gasket would fix that, but isn't super practical at your high mileage and Karl might prefer a motor swap over head gasket.

Overheating could have also just blown a radiator hose or made the water pump fail. Both of those dump water everywhere. Get some help from Karl to find the source of your issue soon, because the fix for a freeze plug, radiator hose, or water pump are all under ~$150.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a guy on yotatech just bought an inline 6cyl yota engine, wire harness and transmission with 38k miles for 2200 off e-bay. a JDM japanese domestic market.

a factory built engine will usually last longer than a rebuilt one.

search do some research and search some more, just do not get in a hurry and make mistakes.

maybe someone here on YT lives close and can help.
tHAT was ME! its a 2jzgtte twin turbo from an aristo. Motor was 2k and the supporting swap parts are right around 2k as well to put it in. I will update my progress the first week of april when i swap it. thats just over 4k in parts alone and im doing all the labor. sorry to hijack If i lived close i would help you swap ive done a few 3.0 swaps around here. Good luck with your re power

Last edited by blake.nemitz; 03-10-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 PM

You know FG, I really don't remember what the symptons were to be quite honest. This is what I can tell you what happened. There is a junk yard dealer not far from me down the road and he is a mechanic too. So he came and picked up my truck to fix it for me. What he did was replace these parts, to see if it would be a fix for me, but it wasn't. All these things listed are new parts he put on the truck....water pump, thermostat, timing belt, and belt guides for 391.00. And also put in a radiator for 150.00. He said he tried to flush out the engine and all it did was throw water everywhere. So he said I need a new engine. So then I paid him to tow the truck back to me and that"s where it is now in my driveway. I just never could afford to get it fixed so I bought a real junker to get me by till I could have it fixed and now I can in 2 weeks.

I would assume he did everything you suggested. But I could call him and ask him??

No problem Blake on you hijacking this thread. Good luck to you and thankyou for offering to help me if you lived closer.

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 AM

If I were you I would check the freeze plugs first before I started throwing motors and money at it.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by 3.slowking
If I were you I would check the freeze plugs first before I started throwing motors and money at it.
That's what I am doing today......

Trappeur
Old 03-11-2014, 04:27 AM

Good I put a clutch in my truck just to find the clutch resevoir was empty lol id hate to see something so little cost you so very much money

Quick Reply: Are these prices outrageous or what?