3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Are these prices outrageous or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these prices outrageous or what?

My delemma:
I have 91 toyota v6 extenda cab with a 3.0 engine that needs to be replaced.

Don't know where to turn or just give up.....but I really want my toyota back.

Got prices from 2 mechanics in town.

Option #1: Get a rebuilt 3.0 engine with a 3 year warrante
Engine cost from Jasper Engine: 3907.00
Installation labor: 1056.00
Misc 200.00

Another mechanic in town quoted me for the same thing:
Rebuilt engine: 2,913.00
Labor 1,243.00
Misc 200.00

Option #2:
Getting a USED 3.4 ENGINE from a totaled vehicle with NO GUARANTEE
3.4 Engine (with 200,000 miles on it) 1,800.00
Accessories to buy to put in: 2,000.00
Labor: 2,750.00
Labor was based on 50 hours to install
_________
Total: 6,550.00

Wow! Is that not expensive or what for a used 200,000.00 engine?????

Option #3:
Getting a 3.4 rebuilt engine with a warrantee
3.4 Engine: 3,597.00
Has to buy the used engine above to
use the accessories on it 1,800.00
Accessories: 2,000.00
Labor: 2,750.00

Wow.............
Have to buy the new rebuilt engine for 3,597.00 and still have to buy
the 2'nd engine just to use the parts on it and then still have to buy 2,000.00 in accessories?
Does this quote sound right?

I'm so disgusted......I feel like throwing in the towel......

Trappeur

PS: ok....I think I found a way to save 1,000.00....How does this sound?......

A used 3.0 engine from Southwest engines in Oklahoma with 69,000 miles: 1,845.00
Buy the guarantee - 3 years 95.00
Install the motor 1,056.00
Misc things mechanic needs 200.00
_________
Total for a 3.0 motor with guarantee and 69,000 miles on it..... 3,196.00

Now this motor doesn't come with an alternator, power steering pump, ac compressor and turbo (if I need one).....The salesman at southwest said that I could maybe use these part off my blown engine or I could get at a junk yard for around 35.00 each.......

Am I wasting my time with my truck or what?????Its a super good looking truck and I really want it back....

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-07-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
You're not wasting your time with the truck...

You're wasting your money paying for labor..

Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM

Where the heck are you getting these prices from? US government?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM

Buying labor is killing your prices! Buy a used engine locally and swap it yourself, buy a 3.4 and swap it yourself, or throw it in and buy another truck. If you can't swap engines yourself, those prices alone validate a newer truck's price.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I feel like you don't know what the hell you're even talking or asking for. So lets break this down.

1) you're not doing your research. Rebuilding a motor is more expensive than buying a long block and putting it back in. A 3vz long block can be had for roughly 1200 bucks brand new here in California, So I'm damn sure you can get it for much cheaper in Georgia.

2) just because your motor needs to be rebuilt does not mean you need a new alternator, power steering pump, AC compressor. Also, 3vz's don't have turbos, and if you did turbo it, you're a moron and you deserve the prices these mechanics have given you.

3) do the work yourself. Its really not that hard to pull the entire motor, set a new one on an engine stand, slap all the intake manifolds, sensors, and exhaust manifolds' on it, plug all the vacuum lines in and all the wiring back on the motor

Hope this helps,
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

check these guys out www.toyonlyswaps.com

they sell conversion engines ready to drop in with approx 100k miles for $4k -- still pricey but beats the options you have posted thus far

personally I've been doing massive amounts of home work getting ready to do my own
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

When one can`t do the type of work for what ever reason one pays the price. The only down side is spending the money on a 3.0 engine

Is the rest of the truck worth going over and doing a major restore rebuild??

I know it is easier to get money to buy a new truck but looking at prices I just put $10,000 into a 92 4Runner. Most of that was parts.

Looking at prices of 5 year old Tacoma`s and 4 Runners I think I came out ahead

Knowing what type of work is involved some prices were not bad at all.

Guys in your day Job do you work for free donate your labor for the good of your employer ??

Truth be told most people pay for any kind of auto work
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like everyone else is saying, the problem is you are paying for labor. Im fixing to install a gm 4.3 in my 4runner. Im hoping to only have $2k into it. Probably a little less after I sell some parts.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by amites
check these guys out www.toyonlyswaps.com

they sell conversion engines ready to drop in with approx 100k miles for $4k -- still pricey but beats the options you have posted thus far

personally I've been doing massive amounts of home work getting ready to do my own

x2 ^

i would try this option (3.4) if i could get someone i could trust at a reasonable price to do the conversion.
toy only swaps sells kits that include engine, computer,wireing harness, exhaust crossover etc.

if you don't feel comfortable dealing with a more involved project, i think your best bet is to go with a rebuilt 3.0 and have it changed,
again by someone you can trust for a reasonable price with a warranty.

best bet is to get a game plan together, get everything lined up(engine/mechanic) for the best possible outcome.

it will be an easier 3.4 swap if it's a manual transmission. and TOS advertises complete kits that you can change engines in a weekend.
you'll have to find a mechanic that would be willing to do a little research
on the swap to see how it will not be that hard to do with the kit and all the info on the swap on yotatech, toy only swaps and offroad solutions.

otherwise google 3.0 rebuilt engine, find a reasonably priced, good quality engine with a solid warranty and just have it changed locally.

good luck let us know how you make out.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 PM

a guy on yotatech just bought an inline 6cyl yota engine, wire harness and transmission with 38k miles for 2200 off e-bay. a JDM japanese domestic market.

a factory built engine will usually last longer than a rebuilt one.

search do some research and search some more, just do not get in a hurry and make mistakes.

maybe someone here on YT lives close and can help.

Last edited by donomite49; 03-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 PM

I sure do appreciate everyone giving their input and I'm trying very hard to do research and shop where I should be going. And believe me I'm learning as I go and am pricing and calling around to junk salvage places and I do realize the labor is killing me but I don't have a choice but to hire someone or find someone who is honest and dependable. And I'm very determined to get my truck back on the road. And truth be known (to Mak92) who thinks I'm a moron....well, I'm not a moron but a single woman who doesn't have a man anymore to handle this situation of getting my truck fixed so I'm doing it by myself or trying to and just reaching out for any and all help. Bottom line is, I have 4200.00 to work with and I honestly feel if I dig deep enough and do research, I'll get there.

ok, first off, I know I can't do a 3.4 swap as it is way too expensive for labor and parts.

I have to stick with the 3.0. I made a little more progress tonight...so I think...I stopped on my way home at a neighbor who is a great mechanic and knows vehicles and can do the job. But he can be a little testy at times but I can handle it. He said he can put the 3.0 in for 800.00 but he also said that 1900.00 is way too much for a used engine which I found at Southwest with a guarantee. I kinda thought 69,000 miles was low milage. He said right off the bat that the clutch would have to be replaced and would probably run about 3 to 400.00...Ok....Also he said probably wiring would have to be replaced also because the mice love that...He knows my truck and said the transmission should be ok. I hear there is a Toyota salvage place not far from Cleveland Tennessee so I guess that is the next mission I need to go on. If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe I do, being I'm on my own and no nothing about fixing vehicles but I WILL tackle this thing here as my truck is WORTH IT.... Bottom line is I have 4200.00 to get the job done....and can't do the job myself.

Yes, Donomite, that would great if someone here was fairly close who knows their stuff and I could pay them to help me out.....I don't expect anything for free but an honest and fair person who can understand and relate to what I'm going through.

Trappeur

Last edited by Trappeur54; 03-07-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Trappeur54

I sure do appreciate everyone giving their input and I'm trying very hard to do research and shop where I should be going. And believe me I'm learning as I go and am pricing and calling around to junk salvage places and I do realize the labor is killing me but I don't have a choice but to hire someone or find someone who is honest and dependable. And I'm very determined to get my truck back on the road. And truth be known (to Mak92) who thinks I'm a moron....well, I'm not a moron but a single woman who doesn't have a man anymore to handle this situation of getting my truck fixed so I'm doing it by myself or trying to and just reaching out for any and all help. Bottom line is, I have 4200.00 to work with and I honestly feel if I dig deep enough and do research, I'll get there.

ok, first off, I know I can't do a 3.4 swap as it is way too expensive for labor and parts.

I have to stick with the 3.0. I made a little more progress tonight...so I think...I stopped on my way home at a neighbor who is a great mechanic and knows vehicles and can do the job. But he can be a little testy at times but I can handle it. He said he can put the 3.0 in for 800.00 but he also said that 1900.00 is way too much for a used engine which I found at Southwest with a guarantee. I kinda thought 69,000 miles was low milage. He said right off the bat that the clutch would have to be replaced and would probably run about 3 to 400.00...Ok....Also he said probably wiring would have to be replaced also because the mice love that...He knows my truck and said the transmission should be ok. I hear there is a Toyota salvage place not far from Cleveland Tennessee so I guess that is the next mission I need to go on. If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, maybe I do, being I'm on my own and no nothing about fixing vehicles but I WILL tackle this thing here as my truck is WORTH IT.... Bottom line is I have 4200.00 to get the job done....and can't do the job myself.

Yes, Donomite, that would great if someone here was fairly close who knows their stuff and I could pay them to help me out.....I don't expect anything for free but an honest and fair person who can understand and relate to what I'm going through.

Trappeur
Excuse Mak92. He probably had a bad day.
It certainly sounds like your mechanic neighbor can hell you save money. I highly encourage you to assist him and get your hands dirty so you can get some experience under the hood.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Have a question for you Mak92

You said I could buy a new 3.0 motor in California for 1200.00? Geesh, care to tell me where from? That's a 800.00 savings I could have...... Wonder how much it would cost to ship to me in Georgia 30522.

Thanks!

Trappeur
Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM

Oh yes Scuba, I have no problem getting dirt under my nails....but I don't think my neighbor needs my help...lol But dang, I bet if I got him a couple six packs or better yet a few 30 packs and a bottle of Jack, he might do me better on the price....you think? lol

Things are looking up....I just have to keep thinking positive...

I was wondering....how important is that 3 year guarantee? I feel it is for me, but the way I seem to be going, it doesn't look like any guarantees are coming my way.....

Trappeur
Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM

Just my .02 I emailed a couple shops here in CA about 3.4 swaps and they quoted me at $7500 just in labor. That was with me providing the engine. Goodluck with whatever you decided to do
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Jesus, 50 hours of labor for a motor install? someone is jerking your chain. did they say you'd need a new set of piston return springs too? 69K on a clutch doesn't mean its' toast either, and why would your OEM replacement clutch cost $400?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:20 PM

this is what i was suggesting you search for, a japanese domestic market engine, free shipping with 50k miles or less.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/89-90-91-92-93-94-95-Toyota-4-Runner-Pick-Up-t100-3-0L-V6-3VZ-Engine-JDM-/261413826787?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdd7a70e3&vxp=mtr
it took me about a minute to find this ONE.

your mechanic neighbor an engine like this even with a new clutch, and i would replace the timing belt/water pump etc before it is installed (easier and cheaper )
you should be well under your budget of 4200.

just trying to help.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:49 PM

whatever used engine you buy will need to have the timing belt and water pump replaced and you should get OEM original equipment manufacturers parts.

for toyota that is aisan and denso parts.

you can find these on E-Bay or amazon reasonable prices.
kits come with everything needed for regular timing belt and water pump maintenance with all belts and idler gear.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM

The prices are out of the park ! I've found the Japanese imports give no problems.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:33 PM
FGZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you can trust the neighbor, he is your key to getting this done. The aforementioned beer and lots of baked goods can help.

A few things.
-Folks talk about replacing stuff while you're replacing the motor. It will save you headache down the road IMO. Even though the clutch may have low mileage, I would replace it and the price should be closer to $100 to $150 for a good one. Replacing it 5 years from now is more like ~$500. The other stuff mentioned are good ideas too: water pump, timing belt, radiator hoses, etc, all for the same reasons. The price to replace them now while the motor is out is less than half the price to replace later.
-I think stuff like high clutch cost and "wiring eaten by mice" are just potential risks being thrown out there by someone wanting to prepare you in case something goes wrong and costs go up. Sure, wiring could be bad, but that's not something you count on. If you can deal with his crankiness, help him with the swap in some way or another as much as possible while trying to sort through things that are actually needed versus him just going overboard.
-The 3 year guarantee from Southwest engines is nice, but I bet it covers the motor itself and not labor unless you're local. For you, if you're not local to them, that 3 year guarantee may not help much when you have to uninstall the engine, ship it back to them, [they fix it free, per guarantee, and ship it back to you], now you have to reinstall it. Your out a lot of labor to take that motor out and back in. I may be wrong about that guarantee, and maybe they have something more comprehensive like paying for a local shop, but I would research it before I paid extra for it.

Quick Reply: Are these prices outrageous or what?