3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

And so it begins -- 95 3.0 -> 98 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking And so it begins -- 95 3.0 -> 98 3.4

New to this forum, picked up a 95 4runner a few months ago with way to many miles on the 3.0 though it had never blown a head gasket

fast forward a few trips up and down the canyon (I live in the rockies) and kaboom **pause for dramatic effect**

I had already been planning on doing a swap in the summer but it became a priority last week

so far I've got a 98 3.4l 4runner motor sitting on my porch wrapped in a tarp and a timing chain / water pump kit just arrived

been hunting for a wrecked donor almost since I got the 4runner but without luck so this is gonna be extra fun since it'll be partially piecemeal

I'll be posting to this thread over the next several weeks as things come in and get plugged in -- expecting to make a trip to the local upull it 2 weeks from now -- though if anyone has spare parts like an ECU please PM as I'm interested
Old 03-08-2014, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well you know our suggestion is always to buy a complete doner. Whatever path you choose, you can find all your answers in here if you search diligently. Also post picures. We like pictures.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 AM

complete donor was obviously preferable.. C'est la vie

I'll start posting pictures once the snow melts, had a foot drop yesterday
Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 PM

well I promised pictures and just got some uploaded to

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/ne...Donor%20Engine

the engine is a few lessons learned, water in 1 cylinder on left, physical damage to 1 cylinder on right -- 88k miles and running my arse... C'est La Vie

Around here 4runners seem to be popular, no yards carry half the parts for the swap and the you pull it has engines gone in hours of getting an announcement that they're in stock (and the guys pulling them ain't gentle)

so right now I Have a 1997 AT 4x4 ECU and harness and a 2001 4x4 ECU along with most everything I need for under the hood (from 97) -- have a background building circuits so not terribly concerned about the soldering and electro hacking but curious if the 97 ECU would share connectors with a 98+ MT 4x4 ECU?

figure I can buy one off eBay which may be worth the head ache if the connectors are the same

will post more photos soon -- and yes that is my kitchen in the background
my wife's idea =)
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 PM

more pictures soon -- took some time off work to tackle this thing -- long block nearly looks like an engine again

re-pinning auto to manul engine harness proving frustrating to no end so waiting on a new crimper to redo all the connectors after breaking a couple trying to remove

QUESTION:: what else might the starter relay switch be called in the electrical diagram on the 95 4runner -- pdf's aren't turning anything up for it -- closest I've found is the ignition switch -- label is clear on other years [https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...0/index2.html]

And so it begins -- 95 3.0 -> 98 3.4-110bemx.png
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Starter relay may be under the hood. Also, I've repined a few auto harnesses to manual. 96-97 manual plugs are 2 row. 96-98/early 99 auto's and manuals have same plugs. 99+ were a different style plug but auto and manuals were same plugs.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 PM

thanks for the quick response

tempted to post the PDF of components location -- search for starter and/or ignition doesn't reflect anything that seems like what I'm looking for...

here's a copy of the engine compartment page -- 2 spots for starter but doesn't refer to either as being for the relay, am I gonna have to wire this to the ECU (read that's a bad idea)

And so it begins -- 95 3.0 -> 98 3.4-hmdcmol.png
Old 05-12-2014, 12:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is in your Fuse block on the right side of the engine compartment it is beside the head light relay or should be.

This is out of the 94 4Runner EWD I would think yours should be the same
Old 05-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Tracked down the starter relay, getting ready to drop the engine in for a dry run while I wait for a new crossover pipe from ors ( gave up on can fabricating new style) 6 bolts to hold in place, map out hoses and things then pull again install remainders and hook up proper

Don't have command the franken-conversion to anyone unless you really want a education...

Anyway, new point I'm stuck on -- how do I route the oil dipstick?
I was fortunate enough to have the hole predrilled but can't see how to get the dipstick around the engine mount

Name:  IMG_20140516_234516.068_zpsbqrw6b6k.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  118.3 KB

That said, the at harness has been rewired to m/t and the few swaps left for the body harness seem like a relative cake walk

If anyone has photos of a complete engine from all anhles it would be helpful, the list of things I'm unsure of is growing rather short and this weekend is welding/bolting in brackets will post more photos of engine and things once I'm on computer, tedious with tablet
Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota Part Numbers for T100 with 3.4L 4x4:
15301-62060 - Dipstick
11452-62060 - Dipstick Guide

^ With those parts, the dipstick tube will feed up throught the engine mount and attach to the head. Without those parts, you're on your own.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:49 PM

Well overdue to update photos

I have the t100 dipstick set, just wasn't seeing how to route properly for a bit

Engine is now in, had to pull alternator and a/c for install clearance

Using the long bolts I had on the engine stand made it relatively easy to line up after getting the first one in

Gonna have to pull again once the ors crossover pipe comes in but now I get to figure out hoses and such

Taking the time to read until I understand has been critical to my franken swap
Suppose this thread isn't doing so great for future reference by what already exists has proven invaluable
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM

Almost forgot to ask, is there supposed to be a gasket for the t100 dipstick, it seems rather snug but not sure if its supposed to have a rubber o-ring in there

Sure I'll have more questions coming, will do a writeup before too long to try and help others choosing to take on this project
Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amites
Almost forgot to ask, is there supposed to be a gasket for the t100 dipstick, it seems rather snug but not sure if its supposed to have a rubber o-ring in there
Yep, 96721-19010
Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 AM

thank you SacRunner

raided a couple more 4runners yesterday at 2 u-pull it's

going to dive in and figure out where my remaining blocks are -- since I've taken so long to do a proper writeup I'm about to post my raw notes somewhere to get that ball moving -- lots of photos from different angles, etc...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Did an inventory of all the scattered boxes from multiple trips to the yard and engines

I have bunches of extra parts and 2 that have come up missing

1. 3.0 starter connection wire from harness -- anyone have one they cut out?
2. Crankshaft position sensor -- using a 96 harness I know it changed between 96-01 but not sure when anyone know whether I need one sensor with or without the dongle wire?

Over months with kids running around not feeling too bad about the short list
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did an inventory of all the scattered boxes from multiple trips to the yard and engines

I have bunches of extra parts and 2 that have come up missing

1. 3.0 starter connection wire from harness -- anyone have one they cut out?
2. Crankshaft position sensor -- using a 96 harness I know it changed between 96-01 but not sure when anyone know whether I need one sensor with or without the dongle wire?

Over months with kids running around not feeling too bad about the short list
Can you explain#1 in more detail?
Old 05-22-2014, 08:34 PM

connector for the starter from the ecu harness for 3.0
Old 05-23-2014, 05:40 PM

connector for the starter from the ecu harness for 3.0
The feed wire from the ignition switch (key) is in the passenger kick panel. It'll go 12v hot when key turned to start position. Black with white stripe and larger than the rest. 12ga. If I remember correctly. From that you'll have to run your own wire out to the starter. Doesn't have to be a super heavy gauge. 18 ga. Will do.

Check the 3.4 swap 101 thread in the sticky section. I tried to explain it better there. In the battery harness section. Have it pass through the firewall with the 3. 4 harness
Old 05-23-2014, 05:51 PM

Not the cor relay already soldered that

I cut the connector to the starer from the old 3.0 harness
Using the 3.0 starter and flywheel know I need to run a wire to get it to engage with the key but need the connector to splice onto
Old 05-23-2014, 09:30 PM

Not the cor relay already soldered that

I cut the connector to the starer from the old 3.0 harness
Using the 3.0 starter and flywheel know I need to run a wire to get it to engage with the key but need the connector to splice onto
I'm lost I admit. The little connector that physically plugs into the starter solenoid? Should be about 50 of them at any pick n pull type place, from a variety of toyotas I would think.

If I am reading this as you have that connector taken from your 3.0 stuff and have run a wire up to the kick panel, just use a butt connector or solder would be better with shrink tubing.

If both of my interpretations are wrong,

Quick Reply: And so it begins -- 95 3.0 -> 98 3.4