3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Reverse-engineering a 3.4 into 91 pickup swap: CEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse-engineering a 3.4 into 91 pickup swap: CEL

Hey guys, so I had the good fortune of buying a truck that already had the swap I wanted done and running, but it isn't really running correctly.

It doesn't like to start when it's cold out, say under 50#F, and has trouble idling until it warms up- the idle will start at a reasonable rpm and then start slowing down till it starts to miss and eventually dies. Giving it a few hundred rpm via the throttle for 30 seconds or so will generally get past this point. OTOH, when it's warm out, it idles high- I would guess ~1500rpm.

The plugs are the factory recommended dual ground NGK, when I bought it the plugs in it look pretty near brand new, and have a light, dry coating of black suggesting that it is running rich. The fact that the exhaust makes your eyes water slightly if you stick your face in front of it confirms this.

The pickup was 22re/4wd/auto from the factory from what I can tell, and the engine is currently running an ECU that says: 5VZ 4x2 A/T. Whoever did the swap was not kind enough to leave as much of the original ECU loom functionality in place as possible, my biggest current gripe being the lack of any way to get codes out of the engine. The under hood diagnostic port is still there, which is a great start, but it doesn't seem to be hooked up to the engine light in the dash which would have originally have been used for blink codes via the E1/TE1 pins being jumped under the hood.

Is there any way to get it to give me codes? I would be perfectly happy getting blink codes out, but if there is a way to hook up the OBD2 port I would love to hear about it.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Also. I went out and looked a little bit ago and discovered that it's not running any oxygen sensors. Awesome.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It is a OBII engine

The year of the Engine ?? Toyota # off the ECM The year of the truck??

Two Options Quit right now and sell as Is !!!

Be willing to spend the time and $$ to get it done correct.

It might be easier to just remove the Engine harness and start all over .

It does not get much worse then this !!!

I feel your pain .

Mine was the same way Very poor job !!

Not knowing where things were it was a mess.

I got the Hard Copy of the EWD for the Engine Harness and ECM( Donor Engine )

The vehicle EWD it was time consuming I could not even want to touch one without the hard copy EWD`s

Got it all sorted out Now it works like it should.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 PM

Yes it's an OBD2 engine..i've never heard of a non-OBD2 3.4 in the US market. From the PN on the ECU (89661-OC461) it's from a 02-03 Tundra 4x2 A/T, but i'm not sure how many other years/models it may also work on. I need to call Toyota and ask on monday.

It's really not as bad as you make it sound if I have the right diagram and info, but then again i'm a professional tech and wiring is kind of my jam, so running wires and making repairs the right way is just another day at the office for me. Aside from the things left out of the swap, the actual integration of the 3.4 harness is cleanly done, connections under the dash are soldered and heat shrink-ed as needed, and the truck runs and drives as is. I just need to finish the job and massage the few kinks out.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

From your post it sounded much wore then you now describe.

Being you know just what your doing ??

Your question of not knowing how to hook up the OB11 interface plug had me a little concerned .

As you said you have all the wiring diagrams you need so it is a simple matter of getting the plug and wiring it to the ECM you have .

If the work was so good are you sure the OBII plug is not there tucked up behind the plastic to the right of the throttle pedal.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM

I don't have any of the wiring diagrams for the application yet, which is why i was skeptical.

As far as the OBD port being tucked up under the dash, I would have seen it by now when I fixed the wiring to the secondary fuse panel, stereo, spot lights, turn signals, and replaced the pedal assembly. Maybe they hid it next to the oxygen sensors, haha.