3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Rayl82's 3.4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I'm going to Tucson today, and won't be back until tomorrow night, so I can finally take a break from this.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM

no truck all weekend wife wont like that
Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Took it to work today, ran good down the freeway, except the engine light on with the p1300, and the 1800 rpm @ idle. Didn't see anything out of the ordinary at work, ran out of time and came home.

Tested the ignitor again, everything tested good, I thought maybe that was the cause of the high idle. So I went back to the high idle, since we had another 3.4, I took the idle control valve off the 1st throttle body and switched them.

Fired it up and it was actually idleing @ 900rpm. Then the p1300 didn't set again yet, I think it was freaking out the ecm because of how high the idle was, it didn't know what to do.

So rayl82 is out on a test drive, and I still have some wiring to button up, and I need to lengthen the wires on the trans switches so they reach the plugs, and I need to find the wires for the evap componetnts, but he will probably be able to drive it home tonight, and I will finish up the small things in a few days.

We'll see......
Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, yall are awesome
Old 02-08-2008, 03:36 PM

Smile failed emo

So i failed emissions today forgot to put the cat in the system and had a missing charcoal line it has been plugged previous years but with all the other 3.slo vacuum lines removed they noticed it... guess I'll have to rout that to somewere they cant see.

on another note my truck is now a 97' according to emissions right? they should just plug into the obd2 connector and be done with it right? I told the guy when he asked what year it was "its a 97' engine in an 89' 4runner on an 85' 4runner frame." i thing he thought i was joking well I've got 60 days to re-test.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As I understand it here, the ECU is what determines the year. But maybe state laws vary on that.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Lightbulb engine light returns!

the engine light has returned, i had auto zone reset it but the codes set were
p0171
p0136
p0136 set twice?
p0450

the last one p0450 is the evap code, i cant find the evap plug to connect it
the p0171 is the igniter isn't it? and it may be set because of the other codes. does anyone know were the evap plugs are on a 97' Tacoma?

jason4x4 is sick with the flu so i don't want to bother him...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/..._Trouble_Codes

P0136 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 (that's the rear O2 sensor)

P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1

P0450 Evaporative Emission System Pressure Sensor/Switch

Not sure what you mean by "evap plugs"?

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-10-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat

P0136 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2

Hope these help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cip0136.pdf (6.7 KB, 873 views)
cip0171p.pdf (12.4 KB, 2408 views)
cip0450.pdf (18.3 KB, 1278 views)
Old 02-10-2008, 03:46 PM

On a side note, I never did put my evap canister in. Is this critical to the operation of the engine, or is it more to pass the emission laws for your locale? Are there any up- or downsides to not using it?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/..._Trouble_Codes

P0136 02 Sensor Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2 (that's the rear O2 sensor)

Not sure what you mean by "evap plugs"?

the plug that the ecu watches, otherwise how does the ecu know it's not there?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Hope these help.

thanks robb, the rear o2 is bypassed like elvota's but my cat has a "Black eye" beacuse when it got pluged up i punched it... so that's throwing the o2 code and the evap is not in the system i don't know were to hook it in at. i think between the two problems the ecu is leaning me out i'll get it eventualy thanks for the help...
Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by rayl82
thanks robb, the rear o2 is bypassed like elvota's but my cat has a "Black eye" beacuse when it got pluged up i punched it... so that's throwing the o2 code and the evap is not in the system i don't know were to hook it in at. i think between the two problems the ecu is leaning me out i'll get it eventualy thanks for the help...
How about this?
Attached Files
loca.pdf (29.4 KB, 337 views)
Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 PM

On a side note, I never did put my evap canister in. Is this critical to the operation of the engine, or is it more to pass the emission laws for your locale? Are there any up- or downsides to not using it?
i think the evap stuff has a switch that the ecu reads and thats why my engine light is on but i could be wrong...
Old 02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rayl82
i think the evap stuff has a switch that the ecu reads and thats why my engine light is on but i could be wrong...
On my 01 there are 3 things that plug into the engine harness from the evap stuff. 2 can easily be seen in this pic, the other one bearly seen in between the other 2. That evap can in the pic was busted up some in the wreck. And yes, the ECU will throw a CEL if they aren't there.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought I'd chime in a bit...

First off, what are you using to pull your codes? Any information you can see besides the code itself? Freeze frame data, when the code is occurring, etc. If you want, we can hook your truck up to my laptop interface sometime and see if any more clues show up.

PO136: That's a strange code to be getting since your installation of the bypass box should be feeding the correct parameters to the ECM. How do you mean you have it twice? Is it a code as well as a pending code? Do you still have the secondary O2 sensor connected, or did you eliminate it all together?

PO171: This is what I have from the FSM. When air fuel ratio feedback is stable after engine warming up, fuel trim is considerably in error on RICH side (2 trip detection logic). Possible causes: air induction system, injector blockage, mass air flow meter, engine coolant temp. sensor, fuel pressure, gas leakage on exhaust system, open or short in A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1) circuit, A/F sensor (bank 1 sensor 1), ECM.

I wonder what gas leakage on exhaust system could be? Meaning, I wonder if the ECM is reading that from the bad O2 or EVAP codes. I don't know if they are related, just throwing out ideas.

PO450: The vapor pressure sensor, VSV for canister closed valve (CCV) and VSV for pressure switching valve are used to detect abnormalities in the evaporative emission control system. The ECM decides whether there is an abnormality in the evaporative emission control system based on the vapor pressure sensor signal. DTC P0450 or P0451 is recorded by the ECM when the vapor pressure sensor malfunction.

If you didn't have the EVAP plugs in your harness, you need to break out your EWD for the 3.4 and pull new wires for the neglected ECM pins. If you look at the EVAP stuff on my thread, you'll see that you can use the old VSV's for some of the new 3.4 EVAP components, but you do need at least the primary sensor from the 3.4 stuff. I am 95% sure I have an extra 3.4 EVAP sensor, if you would like to at least try and plug it in your setup to check if PO450 goes away.

I don't think the motor will operate any differently with the EVAP installed or not, but the ECM will most likely throw a code. I think it depends somewhat on the year of your motor. Also CA editions seem to be more sensitive to such things.

I am not completely sure, but I think the EVAP not only helps eliminate excessive emissions but also allows the gas tank to breath, expel vapors. Seems like allowing the gas tank to regulate would be a good thing.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
I don't think the motor will operate any differently with the EVAP installed or not, but the ECM will most likely throw a code. I think it depends somewhat on the year of your motor. Also CA editions seem to be more sensitive to such things.

I am not completely sure, but I think the EVAP not only helps eliminate excessive emissions but also allows the gas tank to breath, expel vapors. Seems like allowing the gas tank to regulate would be a good thing.
Good thing I never hooked up the check engine light, then!

And my gas tank expels vapors when I open the cap...seriously, though, I do have the EVAP canister but never got around to installing it. It runs fine without it. Lots of power, better mileage than the 3.0. Maybe I'll revisit it when the spring comes around.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=
I took the factory exhaust crossover pipe and chooped it up, and flipped it so that it comes out on the drivers side, had a total of about 2 hours into it, and $3.00. I took a ton of pictures and will do a write up on it if you all want one, I just didn't want to post pics until I knew that it fit, and we got that 3.4 set in place, and the pipe clears perfectly, and fits awesome.
:QUOTE]

please write this up! please please please! i'm going to be doing this swap in
a few weeks, and i am very impressed and interested in your solution. i don't
personally have a welder, or enough experience with welding to attempt this
myself. however, i talked to someone today who is willing to do it. he said he
could use as many pictures and information as possible. if these pics are
the only ones you have, we'll try to make do. i think it's a much better way
to go than a $300 crossover from ORS. so, i'm going to cut it up and
hopefully we can get it right the first time. any measurements or other help
you can give would be great. thanks-john
Old 03-01-2008, 05:18 AM

I got a bunch more pics, I will get it done in the next couple days.

On a side note, I had to go rescue him last night on his way to Tucson the truck died, turns out the wiring that I ran by the exhaust had some reflective heat wrap on it, but it couldn't hold up to exhaust temps, and it burned through and melted a wire and shorted and popped the fuse. Atleast it was a simple find, and I got home at 1:15 this morning. I'll see if I can get pics when he gets back of where NOT to route the wires.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey, that would be great! i'm probably not even pulling the 3.4 out of the tacoma until next weekend and i want to make sure that i've got all my bases
covered before i start pulling the 3.0. so, no big rush. sorry to hear about last night. too bad it couldn't have happened a little closer to home, but at least it was an easy fix. looking forward to hearing from you again-john

Quick Reply: Rayl82's 3.4 swap