3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Oil Filter relocation questions - I did lots of searches first!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil Filter relocation questions - I did lots of searches first!

So I have milled over quite a few threads here and other forums on oil filter relo0cation. I have had a Performance Products kit for years now and never installed it, but now that I am swapping in my 5VZ-FE I thought I would take advantage of it. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to find a place where it fits while keeping it relatively in the same area as the original filter.

Here are my questions:

1. Does the actual orientation of the filter/bracket make a difference. (ie. filter up, sideways, filter down, angled, etc.)

2. Should I be concerned of disance from the relocation plate/stock filter location? I would think the shorter the better? (i.e. maximum of 2 ft for example.)

3. Should I be concerned with the mounting height relative to the original filter height? Or should I keep it on the same "level". (i.e. is it OK to mount it higher/lower than the original filter location?)

4. The Performance Products piece uses regular rubber lines and hose clamps. Should I just skip to the chase and do AN fittings and braided stainless? Has anyone had these fail before?

Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:59 PM

anyone?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you want to relocate where the filter is? Here is what I have seen from I think horsepower tv, where they put a supercharger(I believe) onto a camaro or some other new vehicle. The kit made them relocate it. The filter was on the drivers side, and sat fairly low on the block. The lines rand out and across the front core support, and the hooked to the new filter location piece on the passenger side of the core support. I would say easily over 2 ft. I would say the height they had it at was around the same. Not much help I know, but at least I replied
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by hamish_18
you want to relocate where the filter is? Here is what I have seen from I think horsepower tv, where they put a supercharger(I believe) onto a camaro or some other new vehicle. The kit made them relocate it. The filter was on the drivers side, and sat fairly low on the block. The lines rand out and across the front core support, and the hooked to the new filter location piece on the passenger side of the core support. I would say easily over 2 ft. I would say the height they had it at was around the same. Not much help I know, but at least I replied
Thanks Hamish, It does help actually, now I can go research some of the newer supercharger kits and see what ones necessitate a filter relocation. I just for some reason have a great deal of pause about "opening up" the oiling system to possible leaks/bursting. Nothing ruins your day faster than that!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM

ya go to www.powerblocktv.com? I think or something like that, and go to the horsepower page. They may have an online episode of it. I think it was a few weeks back. so maybe like 4 or 5 episodes.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

hmm no online episodes. But at any rate, I saw them do that in an episode
Old 08-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Thanks, I have Powerblock for the last year or so recorded onto my Media Center, so I'll peruse a few of those episodes back. I think I remember it too, a 2010 camaro supercharged like the LS9 from the ZR1 vette.

I did a bit more digging around and found a few more things that make me feel better about mounting it a few feet away.

1. There is a product called the "Easy Access Oil Changer" you can find a video of it on YouTube. It basically is a filter relocation kit with a drain plug relocation kit and a pump that hooks up to the drain relocation hose to pump the oil out. They demonstrate the filter up high on a fender opposite original location, so it can't be that bad.

2. Permacool has a FAQ buried on there site that answered the following question:

Can I mount an oil filter sideways or upside-down?
Certainly, many vehicles have the oil filter installed sideways or even upside-down.

3. If you think about all of the nooks and crannies that the oil has to get pumped through to lubricate the engine, a few more feet of relatively straight hose really shouldn't make a difference.

4. The stock filter is mounted on an angle relatively upside down. So there has to be drain back occuring when shut off even in a stock configuration. So going higher than the stock location shouldn't make a difference.

5. The first thing that happens when the oil is sucked up through the pickup tube is go through the oil filter before going into the main oil passage, so any resistance the extra few feet of hose would result in would have to pale in comparison to the resistance gotten from the filter itself.

So, I think being armed with this new list of info and a newfound confidence I am going to either mount it up on the driver fender approx 12" away from the stock filter boss and about 6" more in elevation. This will allow for fairly easy oil changes in the future and also leave the filter pretty close to where it used to be.

I still am a little reluctant to having a new "weakest link" in the oiling system, but I guess I'll just have to keep my eye on that oil pressure gauge until it's a proven addition to the system.

Thanks Hamish, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 PM

nice thanks for the info
Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Completed

So this is what I wound up going with. It is -8AN stainless braided hose. It is 1/2 NPT on the filter adapter plate end and 3/8 NPT on the filter bracket end. The filter adapter plate and bracket are both from permacool. It uses the large Ford style filter Fram PH8A. I have a WIX equivelent under that chrome cover for now.

I have checked clearance with both the headers and the back of the alternator and I should be good.

I still am a little reluctant to mount it higher that the original filter, but I will watch the oil pressure like a hawk for the first few weeks and make sure everything is alright.

This in combination with my quick release drain plug should make for some pretty easy and fast oil changes!
Attached Thumbnails Oil Filter relocation questions - I did lots of searches first!-oil-filter-relocation.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 11:00 AM

How has this worked over time? Any issues arise?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:12 AM

Great!

It has worked out great. I have had zero problems with it. It makes doing the oil change really fast and easy. The only thing is having to keep a few rags underneath it when taking filter off to not mess up the inner fender well with residual oil dripping, but that is nothing compared to the benefits.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:18 PM

Thanks I think I'll pick one of these up for my swap.