3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

No Power AT ALL

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this sounds stupid, but you wired up a "starter trigger wire" as outlined in the 3.4 swap 101 sticky (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-101-a-239002/) right?

Have you been able to narrow down where you lose power (where you're getting 0V when you should be seeing 12V)?

IG2 getting 12V with the key set to run?

Is ST1 (or pins 1 & 2 of the starter relay) getting 12V with the key set to start?

Is +B on the ECU getting 12V with the key set to run and start?

Is BATT on the ECU getting 12V all the time (even with key out)?

Lastly, it may not matter, but what COR are you using? 3.0? 3.4? Standard relay?

Sorry if it seems like I'm all over the place, but it seems like there's a lot going on and just trying to narrow it down.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SacRunner
I know this sounds stupid, but you wired up a "starter trigger wire" as outlined in the 3.4 swap 101 sticky (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-101-a-239002/) right?

Have you been able to narrow down where you lose power (where you're getting 0V when you should be seeing 12V)?

Is ST1 (or pins 1 & 2 of the starter relay) getting 12V with the key set to start?

Lastly, it may not matter, but what COR are you using? 3.0? 3.4? Standard relay?

Sorry if it seems like I'm all over the place, but it seems like there's a lot going on and just trying to narrow it down.
I'm not home right now but I know I'm getting power to ig2, the two starter pins are not even though I I have wired my trigger wire. I'll have to check the others later. The plugs don't need to be inserted in the ecm to test the batt and b+ right? I did have trouble locating what to connect the b+ up. Maybe I connected it incorrectly. But I'm also only getting power to the IGN on the fuse box under driver kick panel
Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by SacRunner

SO it looks like my B+ splices to my efi relay so im not sure whats up with that connection i think i just connected it to the efi relay on my IK2 as well as my existing body harness

EDIT: also my Batt on my ecu goes directly to my EFI fuse, and my efi fuse goes to the relay. so can i just connect both the Batt and B+ to the EFI Main Relay on my Exhisting body harness cuz thats what i did

Last edited by devharm; 09-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by toyotamonster
I just had the same problem today firing mine up and it was a ground!! Had me stumped for a while because I got about half a crank out of the starter before everything ˟˟˟˟ off. First thought was I just blew the main relay. After some quick tests it was a ground cone toon at the battery.

So where exactly are the ground points located?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Austin Marr
I will see if i can get you pics of all the grounds i am referring to, tonight at like 6pm. Ya those grounds that are near the diagnosis plug. and that is interesting about the ground under your oil filter. I wouldn't go putting holes in your firewall just yet. I will try and get pics tonight

So is the ground under the oil filter supposed to go to the battery or?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will have to check on that but i think so
Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM

I will have to check on that but i think so
Well shoot then, i have NO CLUE.... Im really upset at this point. I have my starter wire wired exactlly how Sac told me to do it but nothing is working. No power to the cab aside from Buzzer and Headlights however i am getting power to my Batt and B+. just none to the Starter it seems. I dont have a voltmeter anymore due to a buddy taking it back either.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:37 AM

Ground is ground....

I have:

-Intake manifold to body
- -battery to block (under the oil filter)

all with 4 gauge wires...

I would like to have 1 more put in from block to chasis but so far everything is working fine.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dumb question, everything working prior to the swap? Did you do the wiring? What are the specs of each vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using YotaTech
Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4runr
Ground is ground....

I have:

-Intake manifold to body
- -battery to block (under the oil filter)

all with 4 gauge wires...

I would like to have 1 more put in from block to chasis but so far everything is working fine.
I'm not sure I have one directly from my plenum to my chassis. do you mind taking a picture of that one by chance? I've found out that my 80a fuse keeps blowing everytime I connect the battery up I can't figure out where the shorts at from you guys have any ideas?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Dumb question, everything working prior to the swap? Did you do the wiring? What are the specs of each vehicle?

Sent from my iPad using YotaTech
yes the car was running and everything was working before I did the swap the engine was just nearly toasted.it was originally of the 3.0 the new engine is from a 1998 toyota 4 runner the harness and ecm are botg from 98 comas
Old 09-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Updates!

So I have found out that my 80A fuse keeps blowing, I must have a big short somewhere along the lines. Which is funny because i haven't done much re wiring in the engine compartment aside from the alternator plug. Im not really sure how to test the ohms as well as continuity because im not sure my volt meter has the setting. There was a minor slit on the alternator power wire but im not sure it was enough to even touch anything. I ended up wraping it with electrical Mastic tape as well as an electrical tape outside to assure the mastic doesnt begin to unpeel. I have power to all the other fuses in the engine compartment box as well and only power to the IGN in the dash compartment which makes since since my 80A keeps blowing. Im really not trying to have to buy anymore fuses so any advice on what i might need to do would be awesome..

Im going to post a picture of my Voltmeter to see if i have the correct one to do readings..

Name:  IMAG0246.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  85.6 KB
Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 PM

UPDATE!

Got the rig running! cant really tell how she sounds because i dont have my cat or exhaust hooked up but it seems to be good. I had to unhook my throttle cable because it was high revving at idle, not sure if i have to extend the throttle cable or something. But thank you all for the help on this. I know i have been full of questions (some probably being dumb) but i appreciate all of your help!
Old 09-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear you got things sorted out.

I didn't have any issues with mine, but some guys have had to bend the throttle cable mount on the 3.4 forward a little bit to relieve the tension on the cable enough to allow the throttle body to fully close. I can't think of a particular swap, but look around a little bit, it's been covered more than a few times.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by devharm
UPDATE!

Got the rig running! cant really tell how she sounds because i dont have my cat or exhaust hooked up but it seems to be good. I had to unhook my throttle cable because it was high revving at idle, not sure if i have to extend the throttle cable or something. But thank you all for the help on this. I know i have been full of questions (some probably being dumb) but i appreciate all of your help!
AWESOME!!! Now post some pics!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-22-2013, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by devharm
I'm not sure I have one directly from my plenum to my chassis. do you mind taking a picture of that one by chance? I've found out that my 80a fuse keeps blowing everytime I connect the battery up I can't figure out where the shorts at from you guys have any ideas?
Let me know if you still need a pic. I can take some tonight after work.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4runr
Let me know if you still need a pic. I can take some tonight after work.
a picture to make sure I got all the grounds right wouldn't hurt I guess. once I go get my new alternator tomorrow and get that wired up all go ahead and post some pics!
Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 AM

Awesome! I did the Big 3 upgrade since everything was from scratch. I'll take pics and post here