3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Newbie 3.0 to 3.4 Conversion PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie 3.0 to 3.4 Conversion PLEASE HELP

I know there are tons of forums and I have been searching all over but havent found my exact questions answered so please help!! I am a newbie at Toyotas. I built my 1991 Jeep XJ from the ground up but need help.

I have a 1990 Toyota pickup that had a 3.0, its dead now. So I have a 1999 3.4 engine that used manual tranny with all the wiring that was in it. I still have the body of the 3.0 and 5 spd tranny. I just am not sure where to start at exactly how to correctly do it. I have never had a vehicle without having to work on it constantly and i am in college. I just would like to do it correctly where its not such a tedious project of constantly fixing it.

Thanks for every ones help in advance and it means a great deal.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not trying to be mean or rude. But start reading. Plan on reading a few hours every night. There are a whole bunch of stickied threads in the 3.4 swap forum. Read every word of every thread, then read them all again. If you've done that and still have questions, read the FAQ thread again. Still have questions? Post away my friend. We'll gladly help you if you have a problem, but we're not going to hold your hand and say "take out that bolt, now that one, and then this one" Also, google is your friend. It knows everything. Pirate4x4 has some great info and the folk over there know their stuff, but be warned, they will eat you alive if you start a thread for something like this.

Assuming you've already read the threads, what are the "exact questions" you talked about in your opening sentence that you can't find?
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 ^
Yep everything you could ever want to know about wiring and hardware is on this forum.
I had a lot of wiring problems that was answered by reading and finding the right threads.
When doing a 3.4 swap or any kind of swap you cant do enough research into it,
also download the electronic wiring diagram off of TIS, didn't think i needed it till i really started digging.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fix cars for a living own a garage and my family owns 7 shops.

I spent 10-15hrs reading before I even started my swap. You need about 500-700 in parts after the engine. And you need to be comparable in wiring knowledge and soldering.

You are lucky as you are doing a manual that saves you easily 50-60 solder joints.

Good luck but you should plan to read easily for a week straight everynight and then re-read several times.

I have read this post at least 10 times start to finish.
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/tech...fe-conversion/

The hardest part for me was not the wiring, I never found that hard I found sourcing all the stupid little parts the toughest. I wish Ihad bought a rolled 4 runner instead of piece mealing it from the you-pull-yard.

With that in mind I probably only have 1500-2000 in the whole swap including buying the vehicle. which means I could barely rebuild the 3.0 for that.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

first welcome to the forum!!!

Try not to mention that J*#p word again Please.

Do yourself a favor post your location someone that did this swap could be close at hand.

Different things come easier to some of us so where are your weak points?? Strengths??

So you have the ECM for the 99 3.4 Manual trans??

As was stated ***read read read ** then some more.there will be a major test when finished.

If you don`t have the EWD`s (Electrical wiring diagrams) for your pickup and your engine(year and vehicle) start looking unless your going to purchase your harness premade from one of the vendors .

Some many things new timing belt Kit??

New Clutch ??

Read Read and more Come up with a specific question more than glad to help.