3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Need some expert confirmation for 3.4L swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some expert confirmation for 3.4L swap.

Hello guys,

Im new into this forum as well as Toyota stuff, but Im confident of doing engine and wiring swaps.

I got a automatic 88 4runner with 3.slow engine that runs rough, I dont want to deal with this motor anymore since I know how bad was the headgasket as well as how complicated they are under the hood.

Im thinking about doing a 3.4L swap from T100 that i found in the wreck yard, its a late model 95 T100 with 3.4L engine in it, still complete with unchopped wiring harnesses and ECM still in it.

I've done so much reasearch about doing this swap, and I know it just drop right in, into my 88 4runner, Can someone confirm this?

Also, this is the same engine as the one that they use on the taco/4runner right?

I can also use the tranny that I have in my truck, correct?

Now since I've done so much research about it, i know that my auto tranny will bolt right into the 3.4 motor, but I will get the check engine light problem since one of the speed sensor isnt sending the same signal type as my old 4runner did. and the only way to get away from this problem is by using the T100 ECU, now my question is does this late model 95 T100 ECU will work everything fine?

Thats all for now, please help me out soon, as Im getting a really good deal for the whole swap for $650 only, inluding the ECM and harnesses and bits and nuts from the motor.

Thanks guys, appreaciate it a lot, and have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you found this sub-forum? https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160/
This thread will be moved there. Read up!

Welcome to YT!
Old 12-19-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trequartista_10
I've done so much reasearch about doing this swap, and I know it just drop right in, into my 88 4runner, Can someone confirm this?
Yes, with the caveat that you may need to find 90-95 3.0L engine mounts, something about the early 3.0 mounts being different than the later 3.0 mounts; hopefully the T100 mounts would work as is, but I don't know. And of course, everything will still need to swap sides in the engine bay: intake, battery, evap, etc.

Also, this is the same engine as the one that they use on the taco/4runner right?
With a few minor tweaks, like oil pan, oil pick up, dip stick and tube (all of which you would need to buy if you used a 4Runner/Tacoma/Tundra 3.4, but you get for "free" with the motor).

I can also use the tranny that I have in my truck, correct?
I did a M/T swap, but most of the auto swap's I've read through tend to eventually ditch the 3.0 auto in favor of either a T100 auto (with a transfer case with the correct side drop) or use the auto from the 4Runner/Tacoma donor with an adapter from Marlin/Inchworm/etc and an older gear drive transfer case. It would seem your best bet would be to get that T100's auto + transfer case.

Now since I've done so much research about it, i know that my auto tranny will bolt right into the 3.4 motor, but I will get the check engine light problem since one of the speed sensor isnt sending the same signal type as my old 4runner did. and the only way to get away from this problem is by using the T100 ECU, now my question is does this late model 95 T100 ECU will work everything fine?
I don't know about this one, sorry.

And of course, welcome and best of luck with your swap!
Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You pretty much need to use the T100 ECM with the 3.4 engine.

Then of course you still need to repin the 4th plug on the ECM so make sure you grab that one if your pulling this engine your self.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:04 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I've used a 95 t100 ecu to run a 94 auto in a 4runner. I dont know if the 88 and 94 are similar but you will have to get fancy with the wiring including the hydrolic actuation of the L4 in your 88 t case.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
I've used a 95 t100 ecu to run a 94 auto in a 4runner. I dont know if the 88 and 94 are similar but you will have to get fancy with the wiring including the hydrolic actuation of the L4 in your 88 t case.

Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it.

Hey Vital thanks for the info, but can you explain it more by fancy wiring and the hydraulic actuation in the T-case?

I thought 88-95 4runners swap should be almost the same? and they use the same tranny and T-case, dont they??

Let me know please.

Thank you
Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 PM

Hey Vital thanks for the info, but can you explain it more by fancy wiring and the hydraulic actuation in the T-case?

I thought 88-95 4runners swap should be almost the same? and they use the same tranny and T-case, dont they??
The EWD for my 97 4Runner donor (auto) shows the presence of switch in the transfer case to tell the ECU when it is shifted into 4Lo; my '91 has no such switch.

I would imagine that the 95 T100 has a similar setup to the 97 4Runner, in that there is a switch in the transfer case to tell the ECU when it has been shifted to 4Lo, and I'm willing to bet that your 88's transfer case does not have a 4Lo switch. As such you would need to do something ("fancy wiring") to handle the switch wiring; it could be a toggle switch in the cab, left unconnected, or ??? I have no idea what the auto actually needs, but hopefully this gives you some further info, and Vital, please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by SacRunner
The EWD for my 97 4Runner donor (auto) shows the presence of switch in the transfer case to tell the ECU when it is shifted into 4Lo; my '91 has no such switch.

I would imagine that the 95 T100 has a similar setup to the 97 4Runner, in that there is a switch in the transfer case to tell the ECU when it has been shifted to 4Lo, and I'm willing to bet that your 88's transfer case does not have a 4Lo switch. As such you would need to do something ("fancy wiring") to handle the switch wiring; it could be a toggle switch in the cab, left unconnected, or ??? I have no idea what the auto actually needs, but hopefully this gives you some further info, and Vital, please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Hmm that should be fine, how about if I run the wiring coming from the shifter it self? I bet the shifter got some sort of switch that tell the original ECU when it shifted to the 4Lo, no?

Other than this problem, any other problem that I should be aware of?
I bet your 91 4runner should got more similarity to my 88 4runner, right Sacrunner?

Like I said, im confident of doing the swap, as I play around with engine swap into Hondas many times, including wiring up the whole engine and cabin harnesses to get the A/T tranny works perfectly, but I just dont want to get stuck with this swap and not finding an answer for it, thats why I need some confirmation from experts like you guys first, before I go ahead and buy the swap.

Thanks a lot guys, any other info will be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 PM

I'd use the trans and t-case from T100 too if the front d-shaft output comes out the same side as the 88 t-case. This way, the wiring harness from T-100 can just be a direct swap too. ...except the interior wiring.....maybe oil pressure, etc.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
In the 94, when you shift to L4 it sends a signal to the engine ecu and If the ecu decides that the conditions are right for L4 to engage ( vehicle speed, rpms, load) then it will engage the L4 solenoid in the transmission/transfercase. So you need to graft the 3.0 transmission harness into the 3.4 harness. You add a relay to take the ground signal as the signal wire to power the solenoid.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:06 PM

In the 94, when you shift to L4 it sends a signal to the engine ecu and If the ecu decides that the conditions are right for L4 to engage ( vehicle speed, rpms, load) then it will engage the L4 solenoid in the transmission/transfercase. So you need to graft the 3.0 transmission harness into the 3.4 harness. You add a relay to take the ground signal as the signal wire to power the solenoid.
Thanks a lot for the Info Vital, other than this problem, is there any other thing that i need to be aware off?

Also my 88 4runner use the same tranny as the 91-95 though, the a340h tranny correct? just simply wiring and solenoids might be different?

How many wire in total that control the tranny if you can recall?

Thanks a lot guys, please share more info before i go ahead and buy the swap, so I can bargain more stuff from the seller LOL>
Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 PM

Please help this newbies

Any other info will greatly appreciated.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:51 PM

Help lol

Would u have a cheat sheet for that swap I'm trying to finish my 95 t100 3.4 swap into my 95 4runner and need the e4 plug wiring as well as the gray and white body plugs any help would be greatly appreciated