3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

My first, and hopefully last engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first, and hopefully last engine swap.

Thought I'd start a thread to document my engine swap. I've never done anything like this before and I am no mechanic by any means but I can google, read and do minor fab so I thought I'd take a shot at it.

First pic is of the 1995 3.0 Manual 4runner Sequoia Edition I picked up in Vancouver a week or so ago (Yep, another Canadian swap!) on the trailer after getting her home. Second pick is of the tow rig, and in the background you can see my engine hoists. The truck has a blown head gasket so perfect for my swap. She will be getting a 95.5 tacoma engine that I picked up super cheap.

Future plans include a SAS and maybe a chop. For now just want to get it running and do some camping. Sitting on some 33 goodyear duratracs with like new tread. The thing that made me snatch it up though was front and rear ARBs and 4.88s.
Attached Thumbnails My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-4runner-squioa.jpg   My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-towrig4unnrer.jpg  
Old 05-29-2014, 07:14 PM

Also ordered a timing belt kit and an assortment of other junk off amazon to help with my swap. Got a little bit outa hand and got some extra stuff to.. looking forward to having a air die grinder, also picked up an obd II scanner and oil pressure gauge among other things.

I plan on getting my parts shipped just south of the border and running down there to get it all.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:33 PM

Got some stuff done today. Engine is almost out, all thats left are trans bolts and getting the wiring harness through the firewall. Hope to be pulling the 3.4 tomorrow as well.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's a Sequoia edition anyway? Good luck on your swap.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
What's a Sequoia edition anyway? Good luck on your swap.
I had not heard of it previous to buying it either, but from what I can find it was a fully loaded model that had things like: Sunroof, rear spoiler, factory aluminium running boards, leather interior and fender flares. I am thinking they only came in dark green.

If anyone knew anything more about them I'd love to learn.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Side pic with the Sequoia decal
Attached Thumbnails My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-4runner-emblem.jpg  
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's interesting I've never seen one. Looks like a body kit mostly. In fact that looks like a Hilux Surf!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:07 AM

So I've hit my first snag on the project. It looks like someone decided that having AC in the donor was too convenient and removed the pump and lines along with the mount bracket.

My plan was to follow your writeup Vas, and use the 3.0 pump anyway, but now I do not have the clutch and pulley. Looking on ebay, they look like they're going to be about 75 bucks without shipping to Canada. Sucks.

I also need the tensioner pulley and possibly the bracketry to hold it all, although I think I can use the 3.0 bracket or make it work. Going to call the local junkyard and see how much he wants for an entire pump + bracket + idler. I know the owner and I'll bring a filet of salmon we caught ocean fishing last year to help sway the price!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 AM

Good luck with your swap. Never say never on your last engine swap, there will be more to come
Old 06-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Well the wrecker didn't have one, and to get one in plus freight was more then ebay wants for just the clutch and pulley..

But a friend of mine from Vancouver says he has one he doesn't need and when he comes up in August he will bring it for me! Awesome to have friends like that.

So now I'm just left with finding a tensioner pulley and then seeing if I can use all this on my 3.0 bracket.

Todays plan is to get both motors pulled. They are both ready to come out. I plan on pulling both motors with transmission and transfer cases attached. My daily driver/weekend rig is a 2003 tacoma so I'll be hiding the 3.4 trans and tcase back up in the weeds behind the house with a tarp. They should look nice next to my land cruiser axles and other spare taco parts.

Pic of my three toyotas. Had the 2003 hood up for comparison between it and the 95.5.
Attached Thumbnails My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-taco4runnertaco.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM

Chainsaw, just incase something didn't want to come out properly. No 1 tool here in Canada.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 PM

So went south of the border today to pick up the amazon shipment. The lady at the hardware store where I got my stuff shipped was non to happy with the fact that I had enough junk there to earn my own shelf.

Among the things I got shipped was my timing belt kit, which should go on tomorrow (depending on what the girlfriend says).

Started looking into wiring a bit, and downloading the FSM's for my vehicles from:

http://web.archive.org/web/200807310...ttora.com/fsm/

A friend of mine told me I should be able to do all my wiring from that site, but holy cow, theres like 1600 pages. I have no idea where to start.

Has anyone done there swap using that link and can point me to the relevant pages? OR should I just cave in and go to TIS.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Go to TIS and go to the ewd's and download every single thing you can related to both vehicles.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
Go to TIS and go to the ewd's and download every single thing you can related to both vehicles.
X2. Getting a subscription to TIS is money well spent on this swap.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Believe it or not amazon has good prices on auto parts. I picked up a Denso compressor with clutch and pulley for about $35. It was brand new but labeled as used. Probably a return in which someone ordered the wrong thing and returned it. It didn't have a scratch on it.

Second the TIS suggestion, good stuff to have for the future as well. If you have all those toyotas, may as well save everything you can for all of them for future concerns.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:33 PM

I kinda thought the same thing about the TIS ewds, especially because I don't know dick about wiring.

Quick question for anyone out there right now, I plan on using my 3.0 flywheel, clutch and starter. I read that the flywheel torque specs for a 3.0 are 19 ftp plus a 90 degree turn (so half a turn passed 19 ftp?)

I also read that the 3.4s flywheel clutch specs are 63 or 65 ftp.

I'm not sure what spec to go with for swapping the 3.0 flywheel to 3.4 crank, does it matter? I will be blue loc-titing either way.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Pic update. My engine stand and my front yard.

Just going to torque to 63 ftp for the flywheel. Still have to get the timing changed but did manage to get the oil pan swapped over.
Attached Thumbnails My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-2enginesandaexcavator.jpg   My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-junk.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Double check your torque specs. Can't be that much difference. Make sure your reading it right with ft. Pds. On both.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM

So time for an update. Got my 3.0 clutch swapped over. Used the 3.0 flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing along with hardware. Decided to torque it all to the 3.4 specs. I think I should be fine.

Got the timing all swapped out today, and thought I'd do a little painting while the parts were out. I have done the timing on my 2003 tacoma twice now, and having the engine out this time made it go pretty quick.

Now I just need to get the engine into the truck and start putting everything back together. Then start wiring. I am not looking forward to it.

So the body plug everyone talks about is the 4th plug that goes into the 3.4 Ecu thats still hanging in my donor? Or is that something on the 3.0 harness. I'm going to take a bunch of photos of my plugs for reference.

Photo of the lipstick on a pig paint job.
Attached Thumbnails My first, and hopefully last engine swap.-engine.jpg  
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM

You can see my SST I made for the crank bolt, haven't lost it yet! I also drilled two holes in the back end for removing my wheel spacers if need be on the trail.

Quick Reply: My first, and hopefully last engine swap.