3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

My '93 P/U 3.4L swap project

Old 08-27-2006, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a PM exchange with a member in the wee hours this morning, and will post the messages here for the benefit of others.

thefallman
Your Swap
Did you ever find a manual transmision for your swap

personally im just a little bit ahead of you in my swap and i put new pump, timing belt, and pulleys cause the recommended factory intervel is 90k miles and mine was at 75 already.

if you use the lower alternator bracket from the 3.0 you can use your 3.0 alternator and dont have to change anywiring for the alternator plugs.

for the thermostat housing i used my 3.0 housing over a 3.4 thermostat instead of the 3.4 housing. You can then use the 3.0 lower radiator hose instead and dont have to use a custom hose.

i dont have the engine in the truck yet so im not positive on the hose portion of this. but im pretty sure the only thing that is in the way is the oil dipstick but since you have to relocate the dipstick anyway it should work quite well

the other thing i found is that i used my 3.0 oil pickup tube. with the 3.0 pan. the one thing im not sure on, is what dipstick i will use, when i relocate it. Because the only one that fits is the T100 dipstick. but since at least i dont have a T100 pan and the 3.0 pan may have a a differnt capacity then the T100 3.4 pan so the dipstick full point would be at the wrong level if you used a 3.4 T100 dipstick. SO ???? i still have to figure this out.

Anyway if you need a manual tranny i have one there is one other person that is interested right now but they dont sound to serious so. if you want your next.

Strider7
I plan to use the manual tranny that came with my '93 P/U. The bell housing on the tranny I have will mount right up to the new 5VZ-FE engine. That is one of the great things about this swap! Thanks for the offer though.

I purchased my engine with all of the belt driven accessories (alternator included) so I will just go ahead and use all of the new items. I mean the 3.4L A/C, P/S, and alternator. I will use the '99 wiring harness and an ORS intermediate harness, so all should work just fine - at least that's what some of the other guys have done.

As far as that lower hose goes ... again, I will have to stick with 3.4L parts, as my 3.sl0 is long gone ...

Yeah, I am not really looking forward to the whole oil pan part of the swap either. I too have the 3.0L dipstick, pickup, baffle, and pan. Supposedly those can be used with a bit of modification.

Thanks again for the offer of parts. Your parts are from what year 3.4L? Are they from a '95 as mentioned in your sig? If so, I can't use them - my 5VZ-FE is from a '99 Runner, so I want to stick with '99 and newer electronics - just in case I ever want to supercharge it.

thefallman
The 3.4 i have is from a 95 yes but what i was saying about the alternator. the alternators wiring is not part of the engine wiring its part of the body wiring so you will have to modify it in order to use the 3.4 alternator..

i dont believe the 3.0 dipstick will work. the whole in the block is differnt. but do you understand what i ment about the oil pans being deffernt capacities so that. even if you used a dipstick of a T100 3.4 it may not be full of oil because its pan is a differnt capacity.

I'll check tomorrow and see if the 3.0 dipstick will work. but since on the 3.0 it mounts straight into the block on the 3.0 and the 3.4 has a union i dont think it will.

Strider7
Oh, ok ... I will have to look more closely at the alternator and it's wiring then. It will be a while before I get to that part of the swap though.

On the oil pan and dipstick, yes i understood what you meant. I plan to try and use what I have here first, but I may have to get some other parts. I also plan to call Mike (at least I think that's his name) over at ORS , when I get a bit further on the swap and ask him a few questions about some of the details. I figure I will call there once I have my exhaust crossover ready to ship to him. They offer a custom crossover, but you have to supply the flanges from your stock 3.4L part.

I think that I will copy these PM's and our replies to my thread - unless you are opposed to the idea. This discussion my be of some use to other members as well.

thefallman
thats fine with me your welcome to repost. btw Does ORS discount the cross over if you send them your flanges??

Strider7
I don't think they do. Actually, I think they will charge extra if you don't provide your own flanges.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 PM

And I've got more pictures ...

What the ... ?!?! Denso in one bank and NGK in the other?

Misc parts spread about my garage

Cam sprockets removed (check my filthy intake tract - I have a thread going in the Gerneral area requesting some info possible causes for that extreme filth)

Shot down a plug tube

Camshafts

Done for now

Old 08-27-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay so i went back and read the ORS Swap Articles and found that they state in the articles that the T100 pan is the exact same pan as the 3.0 pan so forget i said anything about the dipstick lenght and volume of pans
Old 08-27-2006, 09:13 PM

as to the extreme filth

this was an auto correct??

if so did it have an egr.

an egr would explain alot of it that and a bad pcv valve. actually bad pcv would make the most sense
Old 08-27-2006, 09:26 PM

Not sure if it had an EGR (please excuse my ignorance), but it was from a '99 4Runner, if that helps any.

I did the rattle test on the PCV valve, and it rattled ... so that would seem to indicate that it is still good, right?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two different plugs for each bank is standard from the factory, don't ask me why.

My 3.0 alternator (3 pin) plug fits my 3.4 alt perfect.

The EGR (if you have one) will be some plumbing up from the drivers side exhaust manifold.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:08 AM

hmmm for some reason my lower bracket on the 3.4 didnt fit my 3.0 alternator i had to use the 3.0 lower bracket ill check it out again today
Old 08-28-2006, 08:10 AM

Strider - Im in NW houston... would like to see your swap sometime if possible.

Im in the buying stages right now for my 95 4runner MT 4x4... found a 98 5spd 4x4 engine in CO but im lost because the guy doesnt have the O2 sensors or exhaust ports... supposedly they have to be from the same vehicle... does anyone know anything about this...
guy is quoting $1800 plu shipping for everything on the ORS donor list except the air box and and sensors... seems good considering I wont have to drill a new dip stick hole...
Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

You can get O2 sensors from URD.
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=430006000

Even if you got the donor sensors they may need replacing some day. It is just that Toyota used different types of sensor for different years.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:58 AM

As it turns out on my swap the wrecking yard I bought my engine from cut the exhaust pipe right after the front O2 sensor. I used this sensor and my stock 3.0 O2 sensor in the rear (after cat) location and it seems to run fine. No CEL. Not sure if this is correct but it is working.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Pozi
As it turns out on my swap the wrecking yard I bought my engine from cut the exhaust pipe right after the front O2 sensor. I used this sensor and my stock 3.0 O2 sensor in the rear (after cat) location and it seems to run fine. No CEL. Not sure if this is correct but it is working.
That's interesting, what year ECU do you have?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
That's interesting, what year ECU do you have?
98 4runner 4x4 m/t
Old 08-28-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Two different plugs for each bank is standard from the factory, don't ask me why.

My 3.0 alternator (3 pin) plug fits my 3.4 alt perfect.

The EGR (if you have one) will be some plumbing up from the drivers side exhaust manifold.
Thanks for the info on the dual brand plug configuration, and the alternator plugs.

I will have to look for the EGR plumbing next time I am out there working on it. (Fall semester just started today, and I'll be damned if I get behind. School studies first, ya know, lol. Biology, English, and my 3rd semester of Spanish ain't gonna be no joke!) I figure I'll have some time to get back on the motor this coming weekend. However, to tell the truth, I don't remember seeing any plumbing that might have been EGR related - but I wasn't really looking for it, so we'll see ...
Old 08-28-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by hause64oz
Strider - Im in NW houston... would like to see your swap sometime if possible.

Im in the buying stages right now for my 95 4runner MT 4x4... found a 98 5spd 4x4 engine in CO but im lost because the guy doesnt have the O2 sensors or exhaust ports... supposedly they have to be from the same vehicle... does anyone know anything about this...
guy is quoting $1800 plu shipping for everything on the ORS donor list except the air box and and sensors... seems good considering I wont have to drill a new dip stick hole...
I would be glad to let you check it out sometime, once it's running that is ...

Gimme some time to make it happen and then we can hook up so that you can check it out.

So far, what you see in the pictures is as far as I have gotten on it. But hey, at least I am working on it again!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Strider7
Thanks for the info on the dual brand plug configuration, and the alternator plugs.

I will have to look for the EGR plumbing next time I am out there working on it. (Fall semester just started today, and I'll be damned if I get behind. School studies first, ya know, lol. Biology, English, and my 3rd semester of Spanish ain't gonna be no joke!) I figure I'll have some time to get back on the motor this coming weekend. However, to tell the truth, I don't remember seeing any plumbing that might have been EGR related - but I wasn't really looking for it, so we'll see ...
I don't think the 4 runners had them, they were on the early Tacomas and T-100s.

Good luck
Old 08-28-2006, 06:49 PM

does anyone know what a 3.4L engine weighs... im looking at engine stands and am not sure which one to buy - 750 lb, 1000 lb or 2000 lb.... cant find anything in the search
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

2Ton engine hoist+stand at northern equiptment here in san antonio is like 250 bucks... can't really go wrong there can you?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...7240_200317240

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._334728_334728
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

I want to say around 500 lbs, but I don't know where I heard that.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:43 PM

I took my valve covers in to work with me today, to try and clean them out. We have a Varsol (spelling) vat at work that we wash parts in. Well, after I blew one of them dry, I was passing by the bench grinder, which is equiped with a wire wheel brush, and thought - 'Why not!' So, below you will find pictures of what I started with the wire wheel. After the bench grinder, I used a hand-held grinder that had a soft wire wheel installed. The work is not finished yet, but it looks like it will turn out nice. Now I guess I will have to do the intake plenum assembly too, since it sits above the valve covers.

I will have to finish this at home on my own time. Can you believe it?!?! They actually expect me to work while I am at work! (ha,ha)

After I get them all cleaned up, a few coats of high temperature clear should keep them from getting all dirty again. I don't think that the valve covers see heat levels that are too extreme. The paint 'should' hold up.

Last edited by Strider7; 08-29-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I couldn't resist polishing mine either. I found a scotch brite pad on a die grinder worked pretty good. I didn't even take mine off. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1314...42310107BbLKRD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My '93 P/U 3.4L swap project