3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

How much for a rebuilt 3.4?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much for a rebuilt 3.4?

Not sure why I can not post in the classified forums (I activated my account), unless an admin has to specifically add me.

Anyways, I have a 3.4 '97 with around 200k. Long story short, there was a hole drilled through the back cylinder (dummy user error). So I stripped it down to have a machine shop put a sleeve in it.

Now, I can rebuild it exactly as it was (was in actually really good shape)...with new timing belt, water pump, etc.

How much would it be worth if I "rebuilt" it with the same parts?

What do people expect from a "rebuilt" engine (what new parts, etc)?
How much would this be worth?

Would anybody be interested in having me rebuild it with the parts they want? Ex. If somebody wanted me to rebuild it with "X brand rebuild kit" and then they buy the motor from me?

If somebody (probably a random from Craigslist) wanted to buy the engine, but needed me to install it for them....how much extra do you think I should charge?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:21 PM

If your looking to rebuild it to turn around and sell it you'll probably lose money.
There are a lot of guys on here that are all about "rebuilt" engines as a selling point in a vehicle. Me on the other hand, I avoid anything "rebuilt" unless I plan on going into it myself
Old 01-11-2015, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Holicori
Not sure why I can not post in the classified forums (I activated my account), unless an admin has to specifically add me.
OP.... You do not have the 15 prerequisite posts needed to start a new thread in the Marketplace.

Marketplace rules on the main Marketplace page:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f121...tplace-215358/

Last edited by rworegon; 01-11-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 PM

Ahh OK, figured there was some kind of catch.

And yes, I understand..."rebuilt" can be either great...or tragic...guess it depends on who does it (and probably which parts too).
Old 01-11-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pretty much anyone that would accidentally drill a hole into a cylinder, I'd pass on buying a rebuilt motor from.

Just sayin......
Old 01-11-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Pretty much anyone that would accidentally drill a hole into a cylinder, I'd pass on buying a rebuilt motor from.

Just sayin......
You haven't the slightest idea of circumstances...so if you don't mind, keep your assumptions, and let others that have useful info post.

Thanks for the free bump though.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:55 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dntsdad

Just sayin......
He has a point. Unless you work for a shop that rebuilds engines, have proof of your ASE cirtifications, etc. I would not buy from a person who "rebuilt it himself" And even then, if I asked why it was rebuilt or refreshed and you tell me the accidental drilling happened or see a hole in the side of the motor that shouldn't be there... I'll walk. You'd have to prove that it runs without issue and even with that I wouldn't pay more then $800
Old 01-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Sure there's a point there...but is completely unbeneficial.

I've asked relatively pretty simple questions, and have pretty much only been railroaded so far (except the $800 reply above).

Its no secret I'm not certified, a master mechanic, or even know everything I'm doing. If I was....I wouldnt be here talking to you guys.

So...can people actually help answer this, or would folk rather railroad unknowledgable newcomers....who came here...to learn....?
Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this really is a friendly forum, but it is the internet.

you should be able to google (e-bay) rebuilt 3.4's for prices.

i will say this, the engine will be worth more if rebuilt by a reputable shop using OEM parts with a warranty.

a lot of people would rather buy as is and rebuild it themselves.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Sure there's a point there...but is completely unbeneficial.

I've asked relatively pretty simple questions, and have pretty much only been railroaded so far (except the $800 reply above).

Its no secret I'm not certified, a master mechanic, or even know everything I'm doing. If I was....I wouldnt be here talking to you guys.

So...can people actually help answer this, or would folk rather railroad unknowledgable newcomers....who came here...to learn....?
It is easy to answer questions whose answers are facts.

However, the questions you have asked require that peoples opinions be given.
There are as many different opinions as there are different people.

It is my opinion that no one in their right mind would buy a 'rebuilt' engine from someone without experience and a track record that proved their engines durability.
I would give about 15 cents a pound for your engine.

You should'nt take offence, because I feel the same about any commercial rebuild.

On the other hand, you could'nt afford to buy one I have built for myself.

Last edited by millball; 01-12-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:21 AM

Opinions were all I was looking for.

You say I can't afford one you've built, why do you say that? What is it that makes it worth more?

And this is my first rebuild (gotta start somewhere). And in all honesty, I rebuilt this one 90% just for experience, 10% to make some money back.

And I have checked eBay and craigslist (whivh is why I came here) and the prices fluctuated from $600 for a running engine....to $2300 for a rebuilt engine.

Most of the $600 engines had high miles and were out of wrecked vehicles. Some were even listed at $1200 with 160k miles or so.

If you were to rebuild to profit, would you pretty much just get it back in running conditions with all old components....or would you buy certain new parts mixed with old components?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM

As a do it yourself person. Rebuilding an engine will not net profit. You might be lucky if you can get someone to look at it. The reason the rebuilt ones costing more, they come with a warranty and a company to stand behind it.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Opinions were all I was looking for.

You say I can't afford one you've built, why do you say that? What is it that makes it worth more?

And this is my first rebuild (gotta start somewhere). And in all honesty, I rebuilt this one 90% just for experience, 10% to make some money back.

And I have checked eBay and craigslist (whivh is why I came here) and the prices fluctuated from $600 for a running engine....to $2300 for a rebuilt engine.

Most of the $600 engines had high miles and were out of wrecked vehicles. Some were even listed at $1200 with 160k miles or so.

If you were to rebuild to profit, would you pretty much just get it back in running conditions with all old components....or would you buy certain new parts mixed with old components?

You could'nt afford one I built for myself, because of the meticulous attention to detail that I give to my own machines; not to mention my decades of life experience with machinery and the insights about metallurgy, engineering design and practical machine details that I have got from smart men that I have been fortunate to know. I take a great deal of time and effort that would cost crazy money in any commercial environment.
It would be a money losing proposition for anyone who builds for profit to be as pickey as I am with my own stuff.

As to what mix of used and new components should go into a rebuild, measurement, measurement, measurement.
It takes hundreds, if not thousands of $$ worth of high precision instruments to determine whether any engine component is fit for further service. Not to mention the experience necessary to handle the instruments properly and to understand what they are really telling you. Every engine core has different issues, that depend on how it lived and died.

No one can fault a person who wants to learn by doing, but I think that if you are sincere and have personal integrity, you should build for your own personal use first, and learn from your own mistakes, before trying to sell a thing of unknown and unproved value to another person.

Just my .02

To directly answer your question: At the very minimum, new rings, rod bearings, main bearings, and valve grind.

Last edited by millball; 01-12-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is interesting just what do you think your labor and skill should be worth??

Will you stand behind your work if you make a mistake ??

Thing is you really can`t price a rebuild till it is all ready to be installed so many factors can enter into the cost.

We really want to know just how a hole got drilled into the block through the cylinder fess up???

Plan to sleeve all 6 cylinders??

If your building this engine for yourself by all means go for it. To sell your better off to sell it just like it is.

We all pretty much really would rather build are own when it comes to things like this or go to a trusted source we have known for years

As to engine install rates $1200.00 for old one out and new one in around this part of the country.

Then if you have never done the work on the vehicle in question before it will take lots longer then what you figure on
Old 01-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess on how the hole got there.....trying to drill a hole in the freeze plug to pop it out and went a wee bit deep into the cylinder wall. Just my 0.02.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 PM

Yes...the freeze plug... Couldn't get a bite on the plug, and it wouldn't budge. Tried to take a socket to it, to at least knock it in, and then pull out...nothing. "Mechanical" friend of mine told me to drill a hole to get behind it....and that's how the story goes. I had no clue the cylinder walls were SO soft. Oh well.

And yes actually, I was planning on giving some form of "warranty." Ideally I'd like to find somebody locally that would want me to put it in as well. This way i know whats gone on with the motor...and I can troubleshoot any problems before handing it over. I have already done a full swap with this motor; honestly it was rather easy (for me).

I had in mind around $400....maybe $500 to swap...but very negotiable. I was honestly shooting for $800 motor...$450 to swap. And giving it about a 2-3 month "warranty".

I would think that sounds fair right? As long as the engine is actually in fair working order.

Im not keeping it myself, so only sleeving one. And I'm really looking for a craigslist buyer, as anybody that's on here...would just build it themselves.

Which is why I was asking you guys, which parts are essential to rebuilds. I'm not going to dump $1000 of new parts in to get it back to factory/,better. But do want something to stand behind and be reliable.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Until it is all apart every thing is measured there is no way to just guess what it will need.

unless you plan on the worst case.

new pistons block bored to make the cylinders round again

one journal on the crank scored so bad it will not clean up.

It can go on like this you just never know.