3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

having trouble with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
having trouble with wiring

hey im new to the mechanic stuff but ive started the 3.4 swap and am down to the wiring, ive looke at all the threads available but none of them tell me what i need to know like what all do i use from the 3.0 wiring and whats needed on the 3.4. and what fuse box do i use. if some people could direct me on this that would be much apreciated

as a side note i have read through this thread very closely https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-101-a-239002/
Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You haven't read that thread closely enough. I learned to do the wiring almost exclusively from that thread. From knowing nothing about EWDs, connectors, pinouts, etc to wiring my own 3.4 swap. It's in there.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out Elvota's 3.4 swap thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...4-swap-128285/

specifically https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post50696256
Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You're not going to be changing any fuse boxes. Very little of the 3.0 wiring will be retained. Back up lights, speed sensor, maybe something else I am not thinking of

It's really just matching functions from there at the ECM. Run the battery harness, wire the cor, etc. study the heck out of your Ewd and then some more.

Post up specific questions and you will get answers. There is zero way to tell you how to everything wire for wire unfortunately.

Vital would have done that by now if there were!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM

so this photo here is the 3.4 harness that hooks up to all the injectors and other sensors on the block that go to the ecu?
Name:  exsamplefix_zpse62844ce.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  152.1 KB
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zygroth
so this photo here is the 3.4 harness that hooks up to all the injectors and other sensors on the block that go to the ecu?
Yep, that bundle of wires there provides for just about every single wire that needs to be connected from the engine (or accessories), transmission, transfer case, O2 sensors, ADD actuator (on the front differential) to something in the cab, either the ECU or dash harness (to provide always on +12V, ignition switched +12V, GND, or to light an indicator on the dash).

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you don't have the slightest clue what you're up against with the wiring. I would really suggest reading through some of the threads on here where someone is asking about wiring, or read through some of the longer build threads and focus on the wiring parts. It probably won't make sense now or for a while, but eventually it will click and you'll figure out what you need to do, but you're going to have to put the time in and figure it out yourself.

Do you have all the EWDs (Electronic Wiring Diagrams) for your truck and the donor's truck from TIS (https://techinfo.toyota.com/)?

What year/model is your truck?
What year/model is your donor engine AND ECU AND wiring harness (if they don't match)?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM

i am clueless to all this, i am new to the mechanic world but i am starting to understand what all the posts are talking about and what needs done, but not quite all my questions are answered but i will ask them when i get to them. i appreciate the help i have received so far
my truck is a 1992 4runer and the donor is a 2000 4runer
Old 05-13-2013, 02:54 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by dntsdad
You're not going to be changing any fuse boxes. Very little of the 3.0 wiring will be retained. Back up lights, speed sensor, maybe something else I am not thinking of

It's really just matching functions from there at the ECM. Run the battery harness, wire the cor, etc. study the heck out of your Ewd and then some more.

Post up specific questions and you will get answers. There is zero way to tell you how to everything wire for wire unfortunately.

Vital would have done that by now if there were!
There may be a way. But if had to spell it all out, no one would learn anything from the swap. And guess who'd get everyone and their mom messaging me asking me to fix the wiring from a thousand miles away. Like dntsdad said, match the functions as per the ewd's from TIS. IF people want help with the wiring, Pay me for my time or send it to toy only swaps in oregon. Most of the basic info has been put out there so many times. Hell when I did my very first swap I had no help or explanation on wiring. But all the other info for everything else was all in the 3.4 swap section. REAAAAAD REAAAAAAAD REAAAAAAAD. Learn what why so if you ever need to diagnose problems you'll know how it all went together.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM

alright im back and have some more questions.
ok first off what do i do about the 4 wheel drive wire, thers one that i unplugged from the 3.0 transfer case but the doner vehicle has a trans axle and dosent have a plug for the 4wd on its harness what do i do about that? and then the doner vehicle whas from a junk yard so when i got to the o2 plugs and stuff theres plug heads mising i know the one circled in red is an o2 wire but the one in blue i dont know what it gose to
Name:  redcircled_zps3143b8ce.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  84.6 KB
this is a close up of the 3 in blue
Name:  2621_zps00e81368.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  40.8 KB
and as side notes: ive only seen one group of 4 wires for an o2 sensor but none for a second plug
and agin my truck is a 1992 4runer and the doner was a 2000 4runer

Last edited by zygroth; 05-30-2013 at 08:46 PM.