3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Fedral Emissions 3.4 Swap Truck moving into California

Old 10-02-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fedral Emissions 3.4 Swap Truck moving into California

I moved from Wyoming, back to California with my pickup. It's a Federal emissions 1990 Toyota Pickup that I swapped to a 3.4 V6. Just wanted to give some information for anybody else.

This is from an actual Referee appointment today, I had questions I asked prior to the ref, but they were never answered so I drove the 4 hours just to make the appointment anyways. No, I did not pass, not even close.

Q: Will they be more lenient if my truck is a federal emissions vehicle, and I was a resident out-of-state prior?
A: The answer is not really. The only thing he let go, was that the catalytic converter was a 49-state.

Q: By means of emissions components, what is all required for federal vehicles?
A: For this swap, my stuff is 1998. The 3.4 Charcoal Canister will be required no matter what. He didn't say anything about not having an EGR, and in the forms it's marked as N/A. So I was in the clear for that.
Also, your ECU must show that all components are marked as ready. Some code scanners will show this while your motor is running in a section called "Emissions Readiness", and you're gonna wanna try to get them all show as ready. Toyota does have a TSB guide to show how to make these show ready, as long as everything is correct and working.

Q: So what exhaust is legal, and what do they mean by components having to match the same location as a stock 3.4 setup?
A: The Tech said my ORS crossover wasn't CA legal, unless proved otherwise. It has to made out of an OEM crossover, and the flange must be the same as specified to the year and what it shoes in the diagrams. In my case, I was apparently supposed to have the 2-pipe flange, I don't know. As far a cat placement, apparently what they mean is, your catalytic converter(s) have to be the same distance from the motor as a stock 3.4 setup.

Q: I have an aftermarket intake, how are they gonna treat it
A: He said you still need the OEM intake, federal specs or not. Alternatively, you can use K&N, but I don't know if it would have mattered if it was 50-state or not, even if I had a K&N. Better safe than sorry either way. Also your Vacuum Routing from your intake is IMPORTANT. If you have something in your diagram, for example fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose routing, that doesn't match your setup, better to fix it. Some years are different, keep it in mind.

Make sure your vacuum hoses are actually hoses FOR Crankcase Ventilation. Also get actual Toyota O2 sensor bungs, don't try to get "creative". You have to show 'em where you hook you VSS, and don't even have pending engine codes, cause that will still get you.

So like I said, I didn't pass. While my truck passed the "functional check" and "emissions testing" with flying colors, it didn't pass "Visual Inspection". If I want to fix it, I'd have to get the original intake, canister, redo my exhaust just to move the cat closer to the motor, pray my ECU is able to switch to ready, and get a different crossover. But, I hope this helps anybody else in the future.

TL;DR Even if you have a Fed truck, you pretty much still have to conform with California standards. Doesn't get any easier.

UPDATE: These diagrams look like they will be my saving grace for the swap. I'm gonna give it one last try.

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/sh...rimLevel=14112

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 10-06-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why would you leave Wyoming for California??

Did you really think it would be easier??
Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I doubt he just moved to communistfornia for the fun of it...

Work, family all play a part.

Thanks for the information on this. I'm sure a lot of people will find it helpful, esp if you have to move to a state with very strict emissions programs. I live in CA, but becuase of military status my vehicles are still registered in Idaho. No inspections of any kind but most people don't go out of there way on that stuff anyways.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Having been through the CA SMOG ref inspection myself, this is all familiar territory and there are no surprises for me. Let me see if I can add some comments to help clarify some things...

First off, when dealing with CA SMOG and a swapped truck you need to have the right mindset, and while we can debate the merits of each point all day, it won't help the truck pass any sooner or easier. That mindset is that by swapping a motor and ECU from a 1998 (4Runner, Tacoma, T100? 2wd or 4wd? Auto or manual? Standard cab or extended cab? [yes even the cab configuration matters, standard cab required EGR while the extended cab did not for some years]), you are converting your 1990 pickup into a 1998 vehicle (that matches your ECU) and you must then meet all the same emissions standards as if your truck had always been a 1998 model year. It's a pain, but its manageable.

The second thing, the CA SMOG program doesn't like anything that isn't a factory component or a factory (style) replacement; anything that's aftermarket will cause it to be further inspected. That further inspection will be them, visually, looking for an E.O. (Executive Order) number, either stamped onto the component itself (like on the heat shield of an aftermarket catalytic converter) or on a sticker somewhere (firewall, hood, radiator support, etc for use with a K&N or other similar intake system).

Now, I've added some comments in red below in your quote:
Originally Posted by cr@ves4wheelin
I moved from Wyoming, back to California with my pickup. It's a Federal emissions 1990 Toyota Pickup that I swapped to a 3.4 V6. Just wanted to give some information for anybody else.

This is from an actual Referee appointment today, I had questions I asked prior to the ref, but they were never answered so I drove the 4 hours just to make the appointment anyways. No, I did not pass, not even close.

Q: Will they be more lenient if my truck is a federal emissions vehicle, and I was a resident out-of-state prior?
A: The answer is not really. The only thing he let go, was that the catalytic converter was a 49-state. This is surprising to me, but if they'll give it to you, accept it and be thankful!

Q: By means of emissions components, what is all required for federal vehicles?
A: For this swap, my stuff is 1998. The 3.4 Charcoal Canister will be required no matter what. Yes, and it must match that of your 1998 donor/ECU. He didn't say anything about not having an EGR, and in the forms it's marked as N/A. So I was in the clear for that. Your donor/ECU must be a 4Runner (none of the 3.4 4Runners required EGR) or a Tacoma that didn't require an EGR from the factory.

Also, your ECU must show that all components are marked as ready. Some code scanners will show this while your motor is running in a section called "Emissions Readiness", and you're gonna wanna try to get them all show as ready. Toyota does have a TSB guide to show how to make these show ready, as long as everything is correct and working. The word you're looking for here is "monitor" all of your monitors have to have run and passed for this round of emissions testing to pass. The normal, every 2 year inspection can have as many as 2 tests in an incomplete (not failed) state, I think, don't quote me on that number. If you read through just about any of the CA 3.4 swap threads, you'll see some comments complaining about trying to get all the various monitors to work, they can be a pain sometimes.

Q: So what exhaust is legal, and what do they mean by components having to match the same location as a stock 3.4 setup?
A: The Tech said my ORS crossover wasn't CA legal, unless proved otherwise. It has to made out of an OEM crossover, and the flange must be the same as specified to the year and what it shoes in the diagrams. In my case, I was apparently supposed to have the 2-pipe flange, I don't know. As far a cat placement, apparently what they mean is, your catalytic converter(s) have to be the same distance from the motor as a stock 3.4 setup.
The exhaust has ALWAYS been a tough spot for these swaps, and believe it or not, they're now A LOT more lenient on them than they were just a few years ago...go look at Cadman's or dntsdad's swap threads and marvel at the horror of the hoops they had to jump through. The ORS crossover not working is unfortunate, but not surprising; typically the SMOG guys won't let you modify ANYTHING between the engine and the last O2 or catalytic converter. In recent years, they have allowed the original components to be modified so long as the original components are reused and kept in the same relative distance/location as from the factory; which is why the Toy Only Swaps crossover is legal (or at least they passed it for me). This was all info that I called to ask about as I was doing my swap to prevent the headaches you're now experiencing, its just unlucky that you now have to go back and address all these "little" things.

Q: I have an aftermarket intake, how are they gonna treat it
A: He said you still need the OEM intake, federal specs or not. Alternatively, you can use K&N, but I don't know if it would have mattered if it was 50-state or not, even if I had a K&N. Better safe than sorry either way. Also your Vacuum Routing from your intake is IMPORTANT. If you have something in your diagram, for example fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose routing, that doesn't match your setup, better to fix it. Some years are different, keep it in mind. Your intake must have an E.O. sticker with a number valid for your donor truck, and they must compare that E.O. number to the part number of the intake system, and compare that to the make/model of your ECU; its a pain, but it's typical. All vacuum hoses must be present and routed correctly; one gotcha that may creep up, make sure that NONE of the vacuum hoses are marked as for being used only with a carbureted vehicle, regardless of how it's used, if it isn't rated for fuel injection, you'll fail the visual.

Make sure your vacuum hoses are actually hoses FOR Crankcase Ventilation. Also get actual Toyota O2 sensor bungs, don't try to get "creative". You have to show 'em where you hook you VSS, and don't even have pending engine codes, cause that will still get you.

So like I said, I didn't pass. While my truck passed the "functional check" and "emissions testing" with flying colors, it didn't pass "Visual Inspection". If I want to fix it, I'd have to get the original intake, canister, redo my exhaust just to move the cat closer to the motor, pray my ECU is able to switch to ready, and get a different crossover. But, I hope this helps anybody else in the future.

TL;DR Even if you have a Fed truck, you pretty much still have to conform with California standards. Doesn't get any easier.
Good luck with it, it is definitely a pain, but it's doable, you'll just have to throw more $$, time, and effort at it.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why does anyone still live in California??

The only time I was out there in 1975 I was sure it was going to fall in the ocean
Old 10-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
Why does anyone still live in California??
Because there are no beaches in Cheyenne and the only thing we scrape off of our windshields in the winter is the Seagull s**t that falls from the palm trees.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Why would you leave Wyoming for California??

Did you really think it would be easier??
I grew up in California, I was only in Wyoming for 2 years. It's funny, you go to WY, and everyone asks why in gods name you moved out there. Then when you leave, everyone asks the opposite lol.

Originally Posted by Jloffermann
I doubt he just moved to communistfornia for the fun of it...

Work, family all play a part.

Thanks for the information on this. I'm sure a lot of people will find it helpful, esp if you have to move to a state with very strict emissions programs. I live in CA, but becuase of military status my vehicles are still registered in Idaho. No inspections of any kind but most people don't go out of there way on that stuff anyways.
Exactly why I moved, if it helps anyone, then I'm glad. I did a crazy amount of searching and it seemed like nobody had an answer for my particular case.

Originally Posted by SacRunner
Having been through the CA SMOG ref inspection myself, this is all familiar territory and there are no surprises for me. Let me see if I can add some comments to help clarify some things...

First off, when dealing with CA SMOG and a swapped truck you need to have the right mindset, and while we can debate the merits of each point all day, it won't help the truck pass any sooner or easier. That mindset is that by swapping a motor and ECU from a 1998 (4Runner, Tacoma, T100? 2wd or 4wd? Auto or manual? Standard cab or extended cab? [yes even the cab configuration matters, standard cab required EGR while the extended cab did not for some years]), you are converting your 1990 pickup into a 1998 vehicle (that matches your ECU) and you must then meet all the same emissions standards as if your truck had always been a 1998 model year. It's a pain, but its manageable.

The second thing, the CA SMOG program doesn't like anything that isn't a factory component or a factory (style) replacement; anything that's aftermarket will cause it to be further inspected. That further inspection will be them, visually, looking for an E.O. (Executive Order) number, either stamped onto the component itself (like on the heat shield of an aftermarket catalytic converter) or on a sticker somewhere (firewall, hood, radiator support, etc for use with a K&N or other similar intake system).

Now, I've added some comments in red below in your quote:

Good luck with it, it is definitely a pain, but it's doable, you'll just have to throw more $$, time, and effort at it.
Thanks for the added info. Everything can be easily fixed on my part, even moving the catalytic converter, I welded up the rest of the exhaust myself when I did it.

But the crossover issue, is why I'm not going to even try. Since it has to be a 1998 style crossover, I don't don't have my engine hoist anymore, and I certainly am tired of dumping more money and hard work into the truck anyways. If anything I'm just proud of the truck for burning clean emissions.

So I'm just trying to get rid of it and just have a normal car that I can care less about. Less stress.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:30 PM

UPDATE: These diagrams look like they will be my saving grace for the swap. I'm gonna give it one last try.

Last edited by cr@ves4wheelin; 10-06-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 90 4runner that i swapped a 99 3.4 into, trying to figure out my exhaust situation so that i can pass the ref/smog in california my ecu is a 99 federal and my crossover pipe is the double pipe at the flange, my understanding all tho I'm not sure is the 99 3.4s in cali had the newer 1 pipe flange at the downpipe and it also had 2 cats. am i screwed with my crossover or can i just run it with the double pipe flange type and make sure i have california legal cat and my o2 sensors are placed correctly, am i going to need 2 cats? thanks for the help!

Search this Thread