Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catalyst monitor wont run

here are some specs
donor :
98 runner / manual / 4x4 / 140,000mi
went upside down at speed

recipeint:
92 pickup / 22re / manual / 4x4

using R150 from donor, dual minituck tcases.
everything from donor is stock
TOS made my conversion harness

I had some DTC's a week ago when I got it running. Replaced TPS/IAC/front O2. used a Denso O2, used pn/ 234-6164 as stated on URD's website for my donor.

I have been able to get the O2 & heated O2 monitors to run, they were easy. I have not tried the evap monitor yet, been working on the cat monitor. I have followed the instructions to the letter 2 times now. I let it idle up to temp without touching the throttle (176 or greater) I have tried holding the speed steady at 50 for 3 mins, then at 40 for 7 mins. I have tried varing the speed keeping it between the spec'ed MPH.

I am kinda stumped. I have no DTC's stored or pending, truck goes into closed loop just fine. nothing I can see seems out of the ordinary. rear O2 voltage fluctuates as does the front O2 voltage. I assume the cat monitor needs info from both O2 sensors to run? Should I be replacing my rear O2?

BTW I am running drive cycle #3 (o2S type) per the toyota TSB that states the correct drive cycle for a 98 4runner.

any Ideas? put more miles on it and try again, I have appox 70mi on it since I got it fired up.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
what were the codes that came up?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Assuming your registration is still valid, I would do what you could to flush out any other bugs you can find and just slowly start driving it more and more, and eventually the monitor tests will run.

While I was getting ready for my SMOG inspection (needing all the monitors to have run and passed) I wound up needing to reset my ECU (I had some loose connections that would occasionally throw codes until I hot-glued the wires in the connectors), a few days before the test, with just driving it the 30 miles to and from work (60 miles round trip) for those few days (combination of highway and surface roads) all the monitors were able to run; this was with a 97 4Runner M/T 4x4 ECU.

If you read them closely, the driving cycles specified in the FSM are not guarantees, but suggested cycles that are most likely to allow the test to run.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re
what were the codes that came up?
P0125 insufficient coolant temp for closed loop
P0130 O2 bank 1 sensor 1
P0133 O2 slow to respond bank 1 sensor 1
P0120 TPS

I drove the truck for 2 days clearing the codes each time. O2 sensor codes were slow to come back, TPS came back each time. Sat morn I replaced TPS/IAC/Front O2. I replaced the IAC because the truck idles high (1000-1200) I cleaned the Throttle body before the motor went in as I had to replace the upper & lower plenum as well as the lower intake as it was smashed from the donor rolling over. I noticed my dashpot was keeping the throttle body open a little, so I removed the adjustment screw for it. Everything else about the throttle body seems to be functioning fine. It just idles high. I have sprayed brake cleaner everywhere checking for vac leaks to find nothing. I am 100% sure everything (vac line/evap/etc) is hooked up correctly. I could pinch off the IAC hose and it would idle anywhere between 700-900. I replaced the IAC sat morning, nothing has changed.

Originally Posted by SacRunner
Assuming your registration is still valid, I would do what you could to flush out any other bugs you can find and just slowly start driving it more and more, and eventually the monitor tests will run.

While I was getting ready for my SMOG inspection (needing all the monitors to have run and passed) I wound up needing to reset my ECU (I had some loose connections that would occasionally throw codes until I hot-glued the wires in the connectors), a few days before the test, with just driving it the 30 miles to and from work (60 miles round trip) for those few days (combination of highway and surface roads) all the monitors were able to run; this was with a 97 4Runner M/T 4x4 ECU.

If you read them closely, the driving cycles specified in the FSM are not guarantees, but suggested cycles that are most likely to allow the test to run.
I guess it makes sense that the drive cycles are not "guaranteed" to make it run... I drove the truck to work today (REG & INS are up to date) I plan to drive it daily until I get the last to monitors to run so I can take it to the REF.

I read in another thread that the cat monitor should be the last to run. What do you guys think about that?

Also, I have a new O2 for the rear position I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything to toss it on there. Although im not sure if it will help the monitor run or not.

One last thought on my high idle. Im using the stock 3.4 pump, stock 3.4 high pressure PS hose. Truck is already SAS'ed with 35's. I have to rev it up to approx 2000rpm to turn the steering wheel when not rolling. Steering sucks! I almost wonder if the high idle may be due to the low pressure output of the pump. I have tried unplugging the wire on the high pressure hose with no change. I imagine that sensor on the hose grounds the wire to tell the ecu to idle up?

I have a PSC pump kit but was refraining on installing it until after the REF. I read in another thread that the idle up feature on the powersteering must be functional to pass the REF... not sure on this one though.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:48 PM

TPS & idle

Assuming your throttle blade is correct, what is your IAC count / %?

The high idle is an issue that needs to be adressed...maybe your ECM thinks that your PS switch is always telling it to idle up?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
The cat monitor will only happen if there is a good working rear o2 sensor and its thats sensors job to monitor cat efficiency.
As far as the idle, make sure you have slack in the throttle cable. In every swap i've done i've had to bend the bracket that holds it down and forward so its not holding the throttle open.

Last edited by vital22re; 06-18-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 89934runr
Assuming your throttle blade is correct, what is your IAC count / %?

The high idle is an issue that needs to be adressed...maybe your ECM thinks that your PS switch is always telling it to idle up?
Originally Posted by vital22re
The cat monitor will only happen if there is a good working rear o2 sensor and its thats sensors job to monitor cat efficiency.
As far as the idle, make sure you have slack in the throttle cable. In every swap i've done i've had to bend the bracket that holds it down and forward so its not holding the throttle open.
Sorry for the late response guys. Since my last post I have swapped alot of parts chasing the high idle issue among other things.

Unplugging the ecu for a few mins actually solved my high idle.

I replaced both O2 sensors and was able to drive the truck for approx 800mi with no CEL. Everything was running great. however I determined I have a bad cat. I failed my first appointment with the REF due to the cat monitor & EVAP monitor not ready. I also failed the sniffer test by a small amount. After 800mi of driving the Evap and cat monitors were still not ready. I gave up on smog. I still need to finish the rest of this project, I need it done by 10-31-14. Currently I have the sheetmetal from firewall forward removed and am working on my front 3link.

The way I see it is my registration is not due until nov 2014. Next smog should not be due until nov 2015 as I just had it smogged last nov. unless by going to the REF one time I am listed in a super top secret black book and I get a letter stating I need to see the REF before I can register it again... If thats the case I will deal with it at that time. Worse case ill toss the 22re back in and smog the stupid thing.