3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

another successful 3.4 swap done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another successful 3.4 swap done!

I recently had the pleasure of helping a friend install a 98 3.4 from a 4rnr into his 92 ex-cab 4wd. Many thanks to all the users on here for posting their successes and failures and helpful info, between yotatech and TIS, we had very few problems.

Some details on the build.... we got a complete engine and wiring harness from the scrapyard from a 98 4rnr with auto trans and I grabbed the in cab body plugs and OBDII plug from another yard. the truck was purchased with the old 3.slow already removed, the previous owner had cut most everything while trying to pull the eng. but he had all the parts plus an extra motor and another 92 wiring harness with the truck.

I cut up the old eng harness and made a jumper/adapter using all the plugs for the old and new, spliced in the fourth plug for the ecu and also the OBDII conn. thus making all the splices in the kick panel behind the ecu. The best part about this was instead of trying to wire the thing laying on my side working off of the passenger floorboard, i was able to sit at a table with all the plugs, my laptop, and some wiring tools to make the adapter harness, after about 14 hours of wiring I simply walked to the truck and plugged everything in, mounted the ecu and walked away.

To make the tranny wiring and o2 sensors work, I cut the 3.4 auto tranny plugs off and connected the plugs for the 3.0 mt to the 3.4 harness, and i abandoned the wires that were not needed by taping them off and bundling them up in the harness. we got a ecu for the 98 5vze from a truck with manual tranny so that we would not get trouble codes for not having auto sensors plugged in. we used the evap box for the 98 4rnr and used alternator and ps pump for the 3.4 as well, against everyone's advice, we also used a 3.0 clutch pressure plate and flywheel, but it works very well.....

I had the intial problem of no power going to the starter but quickly found that i had not wired the starter wire from the 3.4 harness to the body harness at all, once we ran it to the body harness it fired right up with only a couple of spins.....and ran great from there, the check eng light comes on for the bulb check but not while running and no codes at all, the temp guage and oil light work and the speedo works (we used the 3.0 speed sensor, and there is one wire that runs from the combo meter to the ecu via the body connector jumper i made and i used two of the wires from the old park/neutral circuit to get the speed sensor signal in to the body harness so the speedo would work).

My freind fabbed his own reverse crossover pipe and made new flanges and re-ran the whole exhaust using a universal cat and a glass pack, welded in the bungs for the pre and post cat o2's, and oh yeah...he ran it all with 3" pipe.....sounds good!!!...... The ecu is mounted "plugs facing up" in the 92 factory location and we put the oBDII conn on the pass. side. he did a 3" body lift thus making the alternator/steering shaft problem most have, not a problem at all, the 3" lift also gave us nice room to run the crossover and such.

I flipped the fuel line and hooked the 3.4 line to the factory line on the truck, and i just ran rubber fuel hose across the firewall for the return and evap lines. My friend got a cold air intake for a 2002 tacoma, but it had to be cut for length and to allow the Maf to be mounted mid-stream, we mounted the igniter to the pass. fender next to the fuse/relay block, and bought a generic battery tray and hold down from the local parts store, bolted it in on the drivers side rather easily.

We did not address the a/c issues yet as the previous owner cut the a/c lines, our donor eng came with a locked up compressor, the truck came with no compressor at all and a/c is not at the top of the list right now, but when the time comes i will figure it out, will probably work out the controls for it from scratch though...... with the exception of the large amount of work on the exhaust and the wiring, this was a pretty easy swap, better than some i've done in the past, and this truck is awesome now.
Attached Thumbnails another successful 3.4 swap done!-001.jpg   another successful 3.4 swap done!-007.jpg   another successful 3.4 swap done!-014.jpg  

Last edited by kenpost856; 04-03-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM

I recently had the pleasure of helping a friend install a 98 3.4 from a 4rnr into his 92 ex-cab 4wd. Many thanks to all the users on here for posting their successes and failures and helpful info, between yotatech and TIS, we had very few problems.

Some details on the build.... we got a complete engine and wiring harness from the scrapyard from a 98 4rnr with auto trans and I grabbed the in cab body plugs and OBDII plug from another yard. the truck was purchased with the old 3.slow already removed, the previous owner had cut most everything while trying to pull the eng. but he had all the parts plus an extra motor and another 92 wiring harness with the truck.

i cut up the old eng harness and made a jumper/adapter using all the plugs for the old and new, spliced in the fourth plug for the ecu and also the OBDII conn. thus making all the splices in the kick panel behind the ecu. The best part about this was instead of trying to wire the thing laying on my side working off of the passenger floorboard, i was able to sit at a table with all the plugs, my laptop, and some wiring tools to make the adapter harness, after about 14 hours of wiring I simply walked to the truck and plugged everything in, mounted the ecu and walked away.

To make the tranny wiring and o2 sensors work, I cut the 3.4 auto tranny plugs off and connected the plugs for the 3.0 mt to the 3.4 harness, and i abandoned the wires that were not needed by taping them off and bundling them up in the harness.

we got a ecu for the 98 5vze from a truck with manual tranny so that we would not get trouble codes for not having auto sensors plugged in. we used the evap box for the 98 4rnr and used alternator and ps pump for the 3.4 as well, against everyone's advice, we also used a 3.0 clutch pressure plate and flywheel, but it works very well.....

I had the intial problem of no power going to the starter but quickly found that i had not wired the starter wire from the 3.4 harness to the body harness at all, once we ran it to the body harness it fired right up with only a couple of spins.....and ran great from there, the check eng light comes on for the bulb check but not while running and no codes at all, the temp guage and oil light work and the speedo works (we used the 3.0 speed sensor, and there is one wire that runs from the combo meter to the ecu via the body connector jumper i made and i used two of the wires from the old park/neutral circuit to get the speed sensor signal in to the body harness so the speedo would work).

My freind fabbed his own reverse crossover pipe and made new flanges and re-ran the whole exhaust using a universal cat and a glass pack, welded in the bungs for the pre and post cat o2's, and oh yeah...he ran it all with 3" pipe.....sounds good!!!......

The ecu is mounted "plugs facing up" in the 92 factory location and we put the oBDII conn on the pass. side. he did a 3" body lift thus making the alternator/steering shaft problem most have, not a problem at all, the 3" lift also gave us nice room to run the crossover and such.......

I flipped the fuel line and hooked the 3.4 line to the factory line on the truck, and i just ran rubber fuel hose across the firewall for the return and evap lines. My friend got a cold air intake for a 2002 tacoma, but it had to be cut for length and to allow the Maf to be mounted mid-stream, we mounted the igniter to the pass. fender next to the fuse/relay block, and bought a generic battery tray and hold down from the local parts store, bolted it in on the drivers side rather easily.

we did not address the a/c issues yet as the previous owner cut the a/c lines, our donor eng came with a locked up compressor, the truck came with no compressor at all and a/c is not at the top of the list right now, but when the time comes i will figure it out, will probably work out the controls for it from scratch though...... with the exception of the large amount of work on the exhaust and the wiring, this was a pretty easy swap, better than some i've done in the past, and this truck is awesome now.

fixed so people could read it
Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Oops, didn't realize what I had done... thanks!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No worries. Welcome to the 5VZFE club!